Good job on banning the phinny automated boxing guy

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by oldkracow, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accipiter Old Timer

My understanding is that you can download the source and compile it yourself. If that's the case, it wouldn't be difficult for someone with programming experience to modify it to work on Phinigel. There are probably "unsupported" compiled versions kicking around the dark webs, too.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

Good job on the bans, Daybreak. Please keep monitoring for this type of abuse and banning as a result.
    QuasiGnome likes this.
  3. Risiko Augur

That's just plain wrong. You're either trolling or... No you're definitely trolling. BW hasn't been a hot zone on Phinigel for ever.

Just stop. You're a bad troll. Bad troll.
  4. Tharrg Augur

The bonus was left active thats why its the go to zone on progression servers for exp
  5. Ducreux Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/game-update-notes-mar-16-2016.231371/
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  6. Porterz73 Augur

I must agree mass banning dirt bags and thier cheater friends/ customers is awesome. I always enjoy when a person who is knowingly worked around the rules of this server for his/her own gain gets banned... Then starts to cry about the injustice of it all.

There will always be cheaters and exploiters, actions like this may give them pause when they realize that at some point all the characters on the account will be gone forever if they want to employ such tactics.

Cheaters beware, your clever work around may just bite you in the .
  7. Consenses New Member

It looks like the right guy was banned. I was going to let my sub lapse, nothing worse than these people that use this nonsense in malicious ways. P99 heavily enforced anti box, which is why I spent 3 years there before an official true box came out. P99 was able to sustain it's high population for that reason. Most boxers are cool, but there will always be that 10% or so that manage to completely ruin it for everyone, the non boxer and boxer.
  8. Machen New Member

It most certainly was not. I tested it before and after the patch and it is a fraction of what it used to be.
  9. Kushiel New Member

haha, This is good news! It is good to finally see DBG do something about these people.

Frankly, its time for DBG to stop protecting these people...When someone like this gets banned DBG needs to come out and say it. People NEED to know that this kind of thing wont be tolerated and that if you do this on Phinny your gonna get mass banned.

No one protects cheaters anymore DBG, every company out there proudly posts when they ban people and they use it as a recruitment tool to show their members that they take it seriously. Start telling us about these bans and maybe we will take you more seriously too; instead of letting us find out on a 3rd party website.
  10. Adonhiram Augur

Honnestly, I don't think DBG "protects" them actively by choice. I rather think the transfer from SoE to DBG involved a cost-killing shrinking policy which severely reduced the resources DBG mobilizes for Everquest. They probably just don't have the man-force/disposable time to enforce their rules, especially when they are still asked to release a new expansion every six month. Not to speak of the growing weight the TLP servers have in the EQ universe (while unlocking a new era isn't creating a new expansion from scratch, it still involves a lot of tuning and tweaking, especially for Phinny with the instances). #Justacapitalisticissue :confused:
  11. Tepin Journeyman

Now if they would only ban people who "do their DPS thing"...
  12. Trevalon Augur

It has been Sony/DBG policy to not discuss account actions since 1999. It's 2016, that policy is antiquated and needs to be changed. Announce these bans and hopefully you can deter others.
  13. Hateseeker Augur

Didn't they make a pretty big public spectacle of some bans for H1Z1? And they reinstated some folks after an apology? Pretty sure that action, however limited in number of players affected, goes absolutely counter to EQ's name and shame policy. Different game, yes, but can they explain why it's OK for H1Z1?

Why does EQ not deserve to be brought into 2016 in ways like that? Perhaps lack of manpower to do so, but I'm really not buying that justification for everything. For example, wouldn't it be easier on manpower to have just banned input cloning usage than to put all the effort into instancing? (speaking from a LJ/RF standpoint, not phingel)
  14. Tudadar Augur

I remember around the start of lockjaw/ragefire they used to announce #s of accounts banned ( at least in a tweet or 2 ) but I think that was from the smed guy that no longer works here/got fired/whatever happened to him. Even with the numbers no one really believed them I think. It doesnt mean much when people see others still cheating after the waves.
    Tharrg and Dragon Jockey like this.
  15. FurySoul Augur

While I feel that the spirit of play of the majority on Phinny (anti boxing etc etc) is great for Phinny and should be enforced and monitored, I find encouraging bans overall to be a bad thing. Instead you should be encouraging the devs to move players of like play styles together (ie move "people you feel deserve bans" to a live low population server). In doing this you are looking out for the capital needs of the company while policing up the rule sets determined for a particular server.

Less people playing EQ doesnt make for a better future for your playing desires. Nothing is free and the staff must be paid and the company must make a profit.
    Havanap likes this.
  16. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Without the risk of a ban the temptation to cheat would be beyond stupid on phinny. :rolleyes:
  17. FurySoul Augur

how would a ban be a larger risk than an exodus from the server? To me it seems (from the server stand point) that exiling someone to a low pop live server would accomplish the same thing a ban would; getting the accused off the server.

Now if either option does the same for the server, why wouldnt you advocate to retain the profits of paid membership in an area where the accused will not cause any troubles? Hell you could make a server dedicated for the exiling (prison server?)
  18. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Losing an account + any accounts associated with the cheater + all krono on those accounts
    Vs.
    Having a character moved to a prison server

Gee I wonder which one I'd rather happen to me if I was cheating.
  19. FurySoul Augur

your view point is flawed. You are trying to do a risk to stop cheating which has no compromise to a business model.

The thing is you seem to want a punishment that stops people from what you call cheating. But what i think the goal should be is to keep what you call cheating off a server that the majority has requested to not have around.

Therefore I feel it is in the best interest of the server and the company to just move people permanently off that server if they are not abiding by the rule sets laid out for the server.

Banning accounts of a dying game seems a bit of a sure fire way to shoot yourself in the foot.
  20. RadarX Augur

We're just going to go ahead and close this before it gets any worse. As always we appreciate the feedback.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.