Glyph of Cataclysm WTF

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Leex, May 23, 2016.

1. ~Mills~ Augur

If you don't add a pause in there it can still have issues at times. And I have even had it tell me it repurchased the AA Cata and when in reality it didn't and Destruction fired the next time I went to use it.

They need to revert this consolidation change to this AA line entirely! And not resort to a semi fix by the players with a hot button that only works 98% of the time as the solution.
    MrMajestykx and Eanelder like this.
  2. gotwar Gotcharms

Not to sound negative, but I don't see how this is different than the way the current AA works.

The mechanic itself is unchanged - you buy a glyph, you eat said tasty glyph, said tasty glyph must then be repurchased in order to eat your next delicious glyph. If your macro misfires on the rebuy its going to do so whether the glyph ranks are separated or not. It just seems to me that this is one of those "dont change my EQ!" reactions that should maybe be given some thought.

Alternatively, ya'll could be like Mr. Flash Sindaiann over here on page one, and just buy the damn thing in the AA window everytime you eat it :). Macros are *always* prone to a misfire due to lag concerns, even with a pause. Even though a macro may work for someone "100% of the time, everytime" (my words, lol), it may not be the same for someone else!

Edit: I realize the issue with the stack glyph ranks is that if a rebuy misfires, you're looking at eating a regular destruction glyph rather than cataclysm.... this is easily remedied by buying the second rank, and swapping the order of the macro:

/alt devour rank#
    /alt rebuy delicious glyph

fixed.
  3. segap Augur

There are ways to work around it. There's still no good reason from a user perspective to have made the change and combine them. Different people with different ways of doing things will be more error prone than others on this. No one gained a thing by combing the two AA.
  4. gotwar Gotcharms

Yeah but... Aren't there better things to fill the ocean of tears with than a minor change that made the special AA tab a little less messy for the trade off of... What? Needing to be more careful with our macros?

I guess at this point we are all just kinda making a null contribution to this thread. Idk why I'm even posting.

Nerf tradeskills.
  5. ~Mills~ Augur

It works entirely different. Previously once you used the AA you could clearly see it was down on the hotbutton (it basically told you that you needed to rebuy it) or if you missed that indicator and pressed it in this state it did nothing and warned you again to rebuy the AA to use. Now the button shows you as having a glyph ready to use even if its the one you don't want so rather than having those 2 warnings to let you know to use Cata you just use Destruction instead if you miss it.

Maybe you don't care that the work around misfires 2% of the time or mind doing your job at a reduced rate because you mistakenly used a lessor glyph because of a poor change but some of us do and would like to see the change reverted.
    noclue likes this.
  6. gotwar Gotcharms

So let me get this straight, in the current system you:

-Open your AA window, see that Glyph of Destruction is at rank 1/2
    -Have the tactile response of clicking "Train" after highlighting said Glyph, which again, is currently at 1/2
    -Receive a "You have bought a delicious Glyph!" message in large, exciting yellow text
    -Can now see that Glyph is either greyed out, or gone completely if your "Can Purchase" option is selected
    -Can now see that Glyph of Destruction is at rank 2/2 before closing your AA window if above "Can Purchase" option is not selected.

And you still need two additional "Hey! You )@*)@( up, try again!" warning systems in place, in addition to the above steps, to ensure you purchased said glyph before using it? And you're going to take passive shots at *me* for not caring about doing *my* job? If I ever messed up my glyph rebuy this bad mid-raid I'd do my fellow raiders a favor by casting mind storm on myself.

Trolling aside, the point of the post you quoted wasn't to say whether the change was "good" or "bad", nor was it to put down people who may not be thrilled with the change; the point was that there's more important *#@% to focus our attention on complaining about and that we should roll with the changes presented to us when they don't break the game. But now we're just taking shots at each other over nothing instead of doing our jobs as players; working to improve Everquest with our delicious, salty tears.

I'm now bowing out of this thread because it's on its way into thread lock territory. Good day to you, sirs, and I wish you all good luck at future Glyph buffets.

Note: I have never, not even once, had my glyph rebuy macro misfire. I understand that if I'm going to use a macro to do things for my lazy butt, the trade-off is that there's going to be a delay and I can't button mash my way through it. The macro needs time to cycle and appropriate pauses if I'm entering a situation with potential for lag. This is a valuable lesson to learn about social macro use.
    Sindaiann likes this.
  7. noclue Elder

Agreed!
  8. ~Mills~ Augur

The old system worked fine the new system doesn't they wasted the time implementing what is a flawed or more difficult ease of use change. Just because there are work arounds doesn't mean it should just be left as is.

I am glad you haven't had issues with the new complex workaround macro button but I've purchased 20K AA the old way and never once had an issue. I've prob bought a few hundred so far the new way and its misfired multiple times now. Many classes don't pop their glyphs from afar before a fight and do it mid fight so they don't have 30 seconds to open various windows and scroll around looking for something that once was readily viewed instantly via the hot button. The new consolidated cata destruct system is flawed to the point of being worthwhile for them to take the time to revert it back.
  9. Axxius Augur

Hotkeys with /alt buy can fail randomly because of lag. The devs need to fix the cause of the issue (the hotkey for Cataclysm must not activate the weak rk 1 glyph; I'm positive that NOBODY wants that), or revert this particular change and uncouple these 2 glyphs.
    Leex likes this.
  10. gotwar Gotcharms

Add a /pause X to each macro line, where X = 1 or 1/2 increment for every 10ms you have in ping, rounding down. Just give it enough time to cycle. I use a 5 line burn macro for my enchanter with a glyph activate and rebuy, and it's never once failed - even with extreme framerate lag.

The only time I can imagine this not working is during a partial dropped connection from the server, where your connection rate (usually reads 100%) starts to fall below 95%.
  11. Bahdah Augur

This really isnt difficult.
  12. Vdidar Augur

He is right you know. I copied his key and I have 0 problems. It always buys it back.
  13. Eanelder Augur

Ill accept that , if the they can make sure that every person who plays Everquest now and in the future knows about it and implements it.

Simply, the default functionality is flawed and bad design / user experience.
  14. Tevik Augur

I still say just remove the lower level glyph once you're able to access the higher level one. Unless there's some reason I'm completely missing why someone would want to use the weaker version, it doesn't need to be there.
    Eanelder likes this.