Game Crashing - Windows 10

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Vixenous, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Vixenous New Member

Hello!

I'm hoping someone can help me. I installed EQ a few days ago. I used to play this years ago and was so excited to be able to try it out again. Day one, I played just fine with no issues. Day two, now when I select my server, I see the loading screen for a split second and it crashes. I have installed and reinstalled and still have the same issue. However when I try to log i again it tells me that my character (even though I have not selected a character yet) is in game and cannot load. If anyone has any ideas, that would be most helpful. Thank you!
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It is telling you character is still logged in because it did not complete the log off. It closed too soon. So your guy is/was stuck on the game. It may be one of your old guys if your logging into your old account. Ctrl alt delete and make sure EQ is not running and then restart computer.

Although Windows 10 has all of DX including DX9c it is the wrong version of 9c - it is too new. EQ needs the old version of 9c and this was a huge problem when windows 10 first came out. This may be what is happening with you. This is the version you should have: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Another problem could be graphic conflicts which are usually what causes screens to crash. So make sure your computer and EQ both using the same resolution.

Could also verify files. If you can get the screen to come up there is a little cog in lower right corner - click that and you can check your resolution in there and also click on validate files.

Here are some suggestions for settings:

http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Graphics_and_performance_settings_guide

There are a lot more ideas but one of these is usually the most common.

Good luck and WB!
  3. AsYoung New Member

This is the exact issue that I am having. Also a returning player. Just installed EQ a few days ago as well. Worked fine for a day or two then random crash and cant get past server select anymore. I'll have to check out the DX9 issue.
  4. AsYoung New Member

So I tried grabbing the Direct X 9c that you had linked above and no cookie. I'm going to try some of the other settings you suggested as well. What a frustrating issue to have
  5. CrazyLarth Augur

To avoid problems with over-zealous security, it is best to install to a directory that isn't under "Program Files" - for example "C:Everquest". You should also set the properties of the Everquest short cut so that it runs as Administrator.
    Metanis likes this.
  6. Carra D New Member

Returning player attempting to get EQ running again on Windows 10. I'm having the same issues as the guy above. Went through all the steps listed. Anymore advice to be offered?
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

More stuff people have posted that worked for them:

Turned off firewalls to test only and made adjustments to allow eq through if that worked

Turned off Mcafee or anti virus programs to test then adjust if worked.

Set the compatibility to Windows 7. Run EQ as administrator.

Reset modems - don't understand that one but worked for someone lol

Check EQClient.ini in the everquest folders (Just do a search of the directory for it) - open it up and see what the resolution is set to. Pretty common issue is it is trying to put out a resolution your monitor does not support. There are both 'Windowed mode' and 'normal' these both need to match up with your actual resolution

Do you have a custom UI? If so, is probably out of date and causing a crash upon loading. Disable it at the character select screen.
    Metanis likes this.
  8. Metanis Bad Company

Several thoughts. The June2010 DirectX update is a 2-step process. The file you download will unzip into a folder of your choice, but then you need to find that folder and run the DXSetup.exe file therein.

As one poster noted, it's a good thing to "MOVE" your Everquest installation to the root of C:. You must do this while the patcher and the game are NOT running.

Once the installation is moved create a new shortcut to the patcher because your old shortcut will point to the old location.

As a poster already advised, right-click on the new shortcut and use the Compatibility tab and change the All Users option to Run As Administrator.

Open your AntiVirus product and use whatever mechanism they offer to Exclude your C:\Everquest folder from virus scanning.

Run the Patcher from it's "new" location. Use the little gear on the bottom left of the patcher screen and Validate Game Assets.

Use the little gear again and check your Game Configuration. Make sure it's using the correct video card in case you've got both embedded graphics and a secondary GPU. While in Game Configuration most options are "don't care" on a modern video card except for Social Animations and Dynamic Lighting. Unless you have a really strong video card probably turn those off.

In Windows 10 Settings > Gaming make sure the Game Bar crap is turned off. Stay in settings and make sure Windows 10 is completely up-to-date with all patches.

Visit the manufacturer of your video card web site and find the newest WHQL certified video driver. Download and install it. Note the newest WHQL driver will probably NOT be the newest driver available, but it will be the one with the most testing done to ensure compatibility with Windows 10. EQ is really old, it never needs the absolute newest driver because driver coders could care less about EQ compatibility.

Reboot your system! (When was the last time you checked your cable or DSL connection wires, reseated them, and rebooted your modem and router?)

Did I say Reboot your system? Just do it.

Try EQ again.

If it still doesn't work has anything changed?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Geroblue Augur

I have my anti-virus set to 'ask if program is allowed'. So when it does get upset, it pops up a message asking me if the program is okay and I click Yes or Allow.
  10. Burningeordie New Member

11. karioki Journeyman

I have the same problem. Things started well when I installed EQ, started up, logged in to Mangler, created a toon and while I was adjusting the UI all in game buttons stopped responding. I had to exit with the Task Manager.

After that I could not even get past the launcher. Select Play and watch a black window open and quickly close and then nothing. Back to the desktop and launcher. I tried everything suggested in this thread and a few others suggested by support.

Interestingly when attempting to install DirectX 9.0, which we all know is what EQ needs, I failed repeatedly with the message You have a newer version installed. Oddly enough, one failure presented a dialog box with the following message. "You must be running Window98, Windows Millenium Edition, Windows 2000, Windows xp or Windows Server 2003 family to install the DirectX 9.0."

I have run across another problem which may or may not be connected. I have been running Validate Game Assets from the launcher and it returns an error EVERY TIME I run it. One or more of the egg files match in size and date but the CRC is off. It is off in varying files and amounts each time I run Validate even though it corrects them each time.
  12. karioki Journeyman

13. Burningeordie New Member

I can confirm that having gone through EVERY process on this page, it fixed my crashing issues. Personally I do believe it had something to do with the resolution of my desktop and EQ being different. Either way I'm back without issues. lvl 33 on mangler and loving it!