FV is NOT the most popular ruleset

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by 6rout, Feb 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quill Augur

A Fast Progression Server like Selos is the ideal place for FV loot, because at a month an xpac, you literally don't have the time to fully gear, regardless of 3.5 day timers. So the gear you do get is kaput in a month or two, and you can't pass it on to someone else who has worse.

It literally makes no sense to have a Fast Progression Server and not have FV loot. You know what you end up with? Everyone in Group Gear... with an ! once TBM hits. It will literally be faster and more efficient in some expansions to simply backfill with the best Group Gear you can find, because you simply will not be killing the top stuff enough times for the loot to get around to you.

And for some classes we can add the word Ever. Unless its specific to your class, if you think its fun watching the gear reset every xpac, make no bones about the fact that the people magically looting stuff will reset every xpac. Nobody is going to suddenly start getting gear before the top tanks. So either you are one or just lol. If you aren't the favored player of your class just lol. The toxicity on that server, is going to be amazing. And you can see it from a metric mile away, if you've ever played the raid game.

But at 30 days, its shelf life is highly limited, which in turn makes the No Trade tag pointless and toxic.

Just sit back and watch… the heat off Selos is going to be amazing.
    Pirlo likes this.
  2. Iyvy Augur

Can't believe I'm agreeing with Quill.

What I think would be a good compromise:

Turn all No trade loot into Attuneable loot.

So you can loot it up, and sell it, once its used you can't sell it.

Bind on Equip basically. Worked for WoW.

Personally I don't really care and lean away from FV loot, but it makes sense on Selos.
  3. PwnQuest Augur

Not sure I see the upside of your proposed change to the FV loot system. Basically this just lets the raid guilds sell some of the gear that they don't need.

I also don't prefer FV, have never played on a server with it either. But I'd love to try it out on one TLP, just to see what its like.
  4. Quill Augur

That's why I simply started fresh with a couple toons there. You're simply never *that* far behind in the current game. If I get bored, I can always go back to my mains. But right now its more about just having fun in game, and not really the punch-the-clock playstyle, going back to raiding the high-end would require.
  5. kizant Augur

FV is the best server. The only problem with it is the lag and that you have to speak Elvish when Dark Elvish is the superior language.
  6. Quill Augur

On a one-month per expansion server, there are always people that need if the item is worth anything.

The point of a FV loot system is that lets say:

Joe SuperTank is wearing a Breastplate of Eradication and gets a Time BP.
    Joe SecondTank was wearing a Vindi BP and now has a Breastplate of Eradication.
    Joe AppTank was wearing Bazaar gear and now has a Vindi BP.

You upgrade three people with one loot drop, something that can only truly be appreciated when the gear drops in quality every 30 days. You know what also drops every 30 days? The price and importance of said loot.

If you're worried about RMT here just LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Stuff simply won't last long enough for it to matter.
    Pirlo likes this.
  7. Quill Augur

XP past 75 is extremely easy on Live, if you actually play the Level 75-100 game, and have at least two characters. Doesn't really matter the server.

If you don't, Good Luck. If you try to go and just xp somewhere.. you don't know how the current midgame works.

Nope. The thing you're missing here is the importance is that you can upgrade a guild member with it when you get an upgrade. The selling part is largely irrelevant in the raid game unless literally nobody needs it.

And in all likelihood, if someone were caught selling said item rather than upgrading a guildie, they'd likely be kicked from guild. On a 30-day FV-loot server, i'd imagine the rule would be upfront and enforced. And it should be more important to you to upgrade the guild than to upgrade your wallet. If it isn't, you'd not only get gone, but word would get around.. if you know what I mean.
  8. Iyvy Augur

Side upgrading through guildies is why stop should be No Trade to begin with. It makes gearing really awkward and trivial and way to fast, by making it attuneable you make doing old raids more worth it, you provide easy to access hand me downs/no wasted loot on bosses, but you don't just flood the server with infinite loot.

There's a reason all current MMOs have high end loot not be tradeable, because it with raiding as a concept. Even with 1 month unlocks, you'll be looking at a ridiculous amount of drama and gear swapping, as well as making basically everything on the server worthless. If it's not top end gear it will be with exactly 0, it'll suck.

Again I'm not playing Selo's so I don't really care, but much like your God start suggestions, I think you have not thought any of this through, and are too stubborn to do so.
  9. ShivanAngel Augur

The thing is, at least with EQ in its current live state is...

There is a much smaller line between the best group gear and the best raid gear.

It used to be a group geared players was FAR FAR below the power of a raid geared player, and then they upped the power of group gear significantly. Now group geared players are much closer to raid geared players then they were back in the day (until like SoF).

With the discrepency narrowed, FV loot code is much less desirable as raiding sets people apart, and being the best is a draw to MMO's.
  10. Quill Augur

The only thing attunable does is make it only worth selling. I can sort of see your point here, particularly once the server is nearer Live than away from it, as it will flush items from the market, but I don't really give two figs about making things better for RMT'rs by making the items scarcer. The more the items on the market, the cheaper the price for the Average Joe just trying to get gear.

As per awkward and trivial and way too fast to gear? We're talking a 30-day per expansion server. If the expansions are going to be fast, the gearing had better be also.

And how many are getting ready to go through 25 expansions in around 2 years? The high end loot isn't typically tradeable, because it has to take effort to get it and be meaningful once you get it. If you get an item in 2 weeks and its obsolete in another 2, then what?

My point isn't to go run out and make Standard TLP's FV loot. My point is that its ideal for a fast server and will help alleviate very real problems. And its worse the closer you get to Live, because items while levelling up have a shelf life measured in days at best, even for the Casual Player, so raiding for it isn't even an option.

Not true.. but ok.

In such a scenario, particularly with No Trade, it means players get gear wherever and however they can get it. The only criteria being that it didn't take much time, and was better than what you had before. If everybody is Waiting for Raid Drops, you probably aren't killing anything.

Hate is going to be RMT heaven in the early game on that server.

The bootstrapping needed by raid guilds to get out from behind the 8-ball on gear, will at least be fun to see, particularly the order and time it takes each mob to drop. If there is one saving grace, that's it. Thankfully, its a spectator sport.

One of us hasn't, that's apparent.
  11. Aurastrider Augur

Maybe the actual stat % between raid geared and group geared players is larger for early EQ vs current EQ but the stat differences are still pretty darn big. For example I know raid geared rangers who have more HP and AC than my group geared SK. A couple of my raid geared tank friends have over 100k more HP and 2-3k more AC than my SK and this does not even account for the defensive check increases with HAgil and HDex to even avoid taking damage in the first place. There is a reason why chase loot was selling for 10-50 krono from EOK when it was current.

With that being said it would make sense that the actual stat difference is not nearly as huge as it was in early EQ because there is simply not as much content in modern EQ vs early EQ which makes tuning the content more of a challenge. If they over tune it you kill off your group players and if you under tune it you bore your raiders to death and they lose interest. Its much easier to combat this with gear than actual mechanics or mob abilities I imagine which is probably way more time intensive.

Add to this significantly more class abilities which requires players to utilize their own class mechanics better instead of relying mostly on gear to determine how good they are depending on the class and it makes the whole tuning process even more difficult which is why we see a steady stream of nerfs or upgrades throughout the year to various classes and content which is the final part of the tuning process for an expansion imo.
  12. Iyvy Augur

Oh hun, Blizzard is run by a bunch of incompetant boobs and is currently still at 20x the subscribers EQ has ever had.

And that's just wow.

fully tradeable loot is gunk. Attuneable would be a nice compromise. All of your ideas are garbage, but that's fine, I hope you have fun on Selo's
  13. Aurastrider Augur

Maybe I am missing what everyone is asking for with attuneable gear but on a server like selo where it wont take long to get out of classic and unlock the loyalty merchant a person can just buy http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=89867 and unattune an item and then sell it once they no longer need it. They would of course need the crowns to do so but anyone who has an account a year or more older should be able to purchase over a dozen of these assuming they have not used up all of their crowns. I don't know that just making all gear attunable is a viable solution once a server unlocks the loyalty merchant in short if the goal is to curb RMT while still being able to pass rots down to alts. If that is the goal maybe making all gear no trade but heirloom would be a better solution instead.
  14. Quill Augur

Oh buttercup, not sure your point? But if we're going to compare to WoW... If WoW were a major league team, DBG would be A-ball.

Not when you're about to go through 25 expansions in two years.

Attunable is crap and your RMT stripes are showing. Attuneable helps no one but those people, by removing items from the market. Less supply with the same demand = higher prices.

LOL.. as stated... i'm not playing. The only fun I need can be gotten watching that dumpster fire burn. And muffin, your opinion of my ideas does not matter to me. If it did, i'd hope you, as clearly an RMT'r at heart, would hate my ideas.
    Pirlo likes this.
  15. NoWay Augur

FV ruleset = krono/plat farmers, support that farmer lol
  16. Belkar_OotS Augur

So I didn't bother going through the whole thread because …. reasons.

FV as a special ruleset server started out not allowing any alts. That alone was enough to keep it from being a top server in my opinion. If FV were not a 1 way trip and take me away from my friends on other live servers I would move there in a heartbeat.
    Hateseeker likes this.
  17. Hateseeker Augur

This. Undoubtedly way back when Verant/SOE unilaterally decided to focus on no trade loot, I mean, they did open FV as an option for tradeable loot but there is no reason whatsoever to limit number of characters. I suspect that was done to help discourage people from going there, because if FV was so overloaded that they needed to open more to handle the load, it would have shown that their no trade vision wasn't that popular.

People even now try to talk about flooding the market and whatnot in order to justify one character per account and no AoCs if there were to be a FV TLP, but if you've ever played on FV, it's not true. Not at the raid level at least, yes it gets flooded with group gear. But group gear is easy to get, that's why. Just like on Live servers you have people offering up rot loots in /general all the time. Wouldn't you rather trade that loot in the bazaar rather than selling loot rights or constantly announcing available rots?

As for me, the reason that I was able to spend a few years playing on FV is because way back in 2006-2008, I had taken a break from the server I was on previously and so when I started back, I decided to make a brand new character from scratch, and since I was already starting from scratch I decided that was a good time to hit up FV. So the 1 way trip didn't hurt me and I'd already lost touch with everyone on my previous server.
  18. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Nah legit 50% XP isn't that much time with how fast XP goes on live. Being able to wear GoD raid weapons at level 1 is worth way more then the 50% XP is if you aren't being PLed
  19. PwnQuest Augur

Yes, I agree with you about FV loot system. I was criticizing the proposed 'attunable' loot system, which is just a significantly worse take on FV.

By definition, there has to be a buyer who would rather spend krono or plat on the item, than farming it themselves or raiding to get it. Basic supply and demand economics. So no, FV is not only better for the krono farmers.
    Hateseeker likes this.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

And all 13 of the remaining servers dwarf the population on Brekt. So if the FV ruleset was actually that popular then Brekt would also be just as big, but it is not. Thus the ruleset is NOT the reason for the population being that big.

From Oct 8, 2001 until January 17, 2017 there was only one server which offered that ruleset, FV. However FV did NOT do well for quite a long time. In fact it was only after they started allowing free transfers (they have since stopped afaik) to FV as well as giving FV a significant XP bonus that FV actually became a growing server. Which is saying something when you consider that you could not transfer off of it, excluding the short period of time leading up to the free transfers to becoming a thing. Up until that point it was declining like the PvP servers were, the free transfers and XP bonus gave the server new life, and it the free transfers were used by large numbers of people simply to sell of their raid gear and otherwise monetize the game. This wasn't the first time they had to modify how the FV server worked to keep it above water either. In all reality it has only been since Kronos came out that FV has really become one of the more popular servers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.