From Smed's AMA

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Enkel, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Enkel Augur

[–]Memnoch9299 7 points 1 day ago
    Ok I don't want to sound rude because I appreciate the fact that EQ is still going after all these years but at the same time it seems like SOE has forgotten what has got them to where they are.
    I think EQ, while getting some nice things this year deserves even more attention given to it. More zones, raids, items & such from CoTF & instead of the limited race/class combos, why not make
    all illusions all/all & charge some sort of reasonable SC for the ability to use all illusions that you have in game for example? Just seems like you're missing out on a source of revenue that might appeal to a broad spectrum.

[–]j_smedley 16 points 1 day ago
    we feel the same way.. which is why we ok'ed a larger scoped expansion pack for next year. Don't worry, we know how important Everquest is to us!

Smed, in response to a long post about EQ being neglected and possibly thrown under the bus.
    [–]j_smedley 6 points 1 day ago
    I've just seen the content update plan for EQ. We heard the players loud and clear that they want a bigger expansion next time, and they'll get it. We'll be making EQ and EQ 2 expansions for a long time to come.
  2. Falos Augur

Thanks for posting this here, Smed was going to but he does not know the URL.
  3. Redshirt_78410 Journeyman

By that, I assume you mean he doesn't know the URL to these forums, right? lol
    Falos likes this.
  4. Battleaxe Augur

I'd think Mr. Smedley's comments would be pretty exciting for many EQ players.

While I personally might prefer raids to be like ToV -
    the environment and basepop belonging together

the mobs having a variety of abilities that kept you on your toes, got more classes involved, and had synergy (one mob debuffing you vs. fire and another fire nuking you)

10 minute can't be avoided dungeon crawls between mobs, an all day one day a week (anticipate all week long) woo woo raid

to bannering in, waving at the named, kill, loot, rinse/repeat no matter how many engagements there are...
    I realize EQ does have players who focus on the number of events.
  5. Ronak Augur

Hrmm, a larger expansion for next year? As in not in 2014?
  6. Enkel Augur

I would think so, or at least at the end of this year, maybe? CoTF will be finished over the course of 2014, so if he means the next release, which might branch into multiple releases (which I think most of us do not like), it probably will be the next one (though, like you, I'm confused about it being 2014 or 2015).
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

He could be referring to the new fiscal year which starts October 1st. A lot of companies are driven by the fiscal year so they make and speak of plans in reference to that. The Army does it too for what it is worth. Obviously Smed would have clear up which he is using as a point of reference.
  8. Falos Augur

My guess is the current plan is 'large' content chunks every 3 months (for the sake of argument we'll say tier 1b is a 'large' content chunk) So i'd assume:

Tier 2a: April
    Tier 2b: July

Next expansion: October (though this could get delayed if they really want to give us a larger expansion (either that or we're getting several additional fulltime devs)

Also larger scoped expansion could mean any number ofthings, Could be: Same amoujnt of content but more feature rich / implementation of cross server instances, could mean we're getting an expansion like SoF with unique quest lines and a revamp to stats or other major systems related to the game, or it could simply tmean that the next expansion is going to be exactly the same size as call of the forsaken + 1 additional zone on top if it making it 'larger'.

It's really hard to say, especially since I really doubt smed really knows much about EQ these days aside from the bullet points that get sent his way so his concept of larger scope could defer greatly from what the actual players think.
  9. Battleaxe Augur

My guess would be that EQ has a production pipeline with target dates already set for staggered expansion release and special events (anniversary, etc.), therefore a schedule, and therefore resources already lined up.

I'd expect a few events (say 2) tacked onto what we would have received for 2a and later 2b and some items we wouldn't normally see in those 2 staggered releases in the near term with a bigger shift after this chunk of the story is over.

T1a, T1b, 2a, 2b = probably what they originally intended
    T1a, T1b, 2a+, 2b+ = what I think we'll get for now
    T1a+, T1b+, T2a+, T2b+ = what I think we'll see next story arc.
  10. Hatsee Augur

They work on expansions long before a launch and as of now we still have 2 chunks of content due to us, which is going to very likely eat up most of the time left that they'd have to work on a full expansion for the next launch. At best I'd guess we may get a few devs from the now dead games and maybe a slightly larger amount of content at launch next time. Anything more than that and they will probably have worked the devs to death and then we get nothing.
  11. Olestra Elder

Smed has never and will never tell the whole truth about anything, don't get your hopes up.
    CaptAmazing and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  12. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

For the record I am the one who asked him that question to see what his response would be. At least he responded, several questions went unanswered but he did hint that he hates PvE, stated they are sick of making the same game for 15 years hence EQ Next & prefers PVP above any story or content. I think Smed may not be very intellectual & I think he does just get the most basic outlines of what game is going to be doing what because he referred any questions of anything detailed at all for several games to the respective dev teams.
  13. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Meh, you don't get to be in charge of a division at Sony (or enter whatever big corporation you want here) without having brains. I think it is important to note that he has a full plate managing current PCs, Playstation, and PSP games while also dealing with all the developmental aspects of each of those platforms. Its probably kind of hard to have an intimate knowledge of each of them. Throw some hate these kiddies too. I'm sure their decisions have a pretty big impact on what we get or don't get.

https://www.soe.com/execs
  14. Edrick Augur

I assume you mean the post by Memnoch9299.

Because you weren't the one that told the long story and asked the question that got him to say we heard the players loud and clear that they want a bigger expansion, and they'll get it.
  15. Olestra Elder

Then maybe it's time to bring in people who aren't sick of it.
    CaptAmazing and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  16. RagePaw Augur

This just smells like smed trying to sell the next expansion.

If they want to please the players they will do something within this expansion cycle or we are going to just feel ripped off and likely not buy the new expansion based on quotes from smed.
    CaptAmazing and Bearforce like this.
  17. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Yeah I'm Memnoch9299, I couldn't find where he responded to my question after having gone back over the thread. I misread what you posted thinking his response was to me but realized that may not be the case, my bad.
  18. Edrick Augur

The good news is Smedley said something about Everquest outside of the fan fair.

The truth is, he needs to use his own company's forums, and not Reddit. Planetside 2 and Everquest Next are not their only games. They are SOE's flagship games to be sure, but the president/COE/evil overlord needs to pop his head in here and give us the courtesy of acknowledging us, in my opinion.

Hearing from him that they heard that players are not liking the content update plan for EQ and that they will make the next expansion bigger (very ambiguous, I will give you that) made me feel a little better. And I'm sorry for the game closures, especially Vanguard, but at least they are not laying off anybody, which is really good.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Players still enjoy the game they have been making for 15 years, they maybe sick of it but the players aren't.

Personally I dislike PVP. I thought Wizardry Online looked good until I found out it was PVP and didn't bother with it.

As for a bigger expansion next year they have to deliver on this one first, if they deliver on this one then I will consider the next one. But if they don't deliver I'm not getting sucked into another not knowing what we are getting each update unless they deliver all in one go, where we can see what we are getting. I'm not impressed with the lack of zones this time round and so much being missions. Not forgetting the lack of ways to improve my char levels, AAs etc.
  20. Edrick Augur

Wizardry lasted only for a year and a few months. Ouch. That doesn't beat APB's record, but its pretty damn short for a MMOG lifespan.