Failed harder than in any other game post Heroic.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by AguaPurificata, Mar 29, 2014.

1. AguaPurificata New Member

I've been playing MMORPG's throughout my entire life, so I'm not new to the system; however so far my experience in this game has not been one of my finer moments in online gaming. After ending up in the Feerott (I forgot to mention the class I chose was Wizard as I like burst based magic DPS classes) I quickly accepted all the quests offered at the hub (investigate missing group, spiders, wolves, reptile-men, and mercenaries I believe) however so far the last four have proven quite difficult and even with a mercenary I have died many time, and enough to down level to about 93-94% of level 84. Not only that but I managed to use some draconic scepter to teleport me somewhere else and I have no idea how to get back, let alone where I ended up (Crescent something? I'm not sure..) What am I doing wrong? I've always wanted to get into this game and would be willing to put money into the 'Marketplace' in order to get this Wizard closer level cap. Any help would be appreciated because, as of now, I'm not playing anymore until I figure it out purely out of fear that I will down-level even further.

Thanks for any help!
  2. EQvet Elder

Lol see this thread should be stickied...im not laughing at you just what everyone is talking about which is dropping a 85 character with 5k aa into a zone with mobs that hit for 6kish haha. They need to make some kind of tutorial for these heroic characters. I played for 6 years when this game came out and have been playing for the last year and when I created my heroic character I was totally lost as well (as far as playing the class, fortunately I know my way around a little bit). I just now got done perfecting my hotbars and macros and I created my heroic character what 3 weeks ago? I don't play every day but ive been putting in work.

Agua, my suggestion would be create a level 1 finish the tutorial and level to at least 30ish (only a few hours of gameplay). This will not make it so you can hop on your heroic character and own everything but you will at least know the basics. The starting hotbars they give you is a joke, that's only like half of your abilities. After leveling a new character a little bit so you can actually have some fun for a minute (lol) I would read through your ENTIRE alternate advance abilities and hotkey them all to your bars (most likely going to have around 40-50+ hotkeys). Then try and consolidate with macros, I turned 40-50 into 20-30 doing this. Now you are ready to play your heroic character (haha). Ya I have played many MMO's as well and I will say that this game was and is the most difficult MMO I have ever played which is why I love it. Wish the game had some decent PVP though.
    moogs, Elricvonclief and Geroblue like this.
  3. Medens New Member

I would recommend using your teleportation spells to Plane of Knowledge and 'bind' yourself there with the spell 'Bind Affinity' Right click spell gem>Utility Beneficial>Bind Afinity (level 12 spell)

I also recommend downloading some game maps http://www.mapfiend.net/index.php?pageid=mappacks

Select All maps and download, they need to go into your games map directory, you may have to camp out to server select then extract the maps for PoK map to load properly if you are in world.

You can now use the maps or the 'Find Tool' (i think this workds for that now days? ) to locate the Ferrott portal stone, when you click it you will be given 2 options 'the dream' or what ever the old one is called I can't remember. Select the dream to be where you originally started.

Now, to complete the quests I cannot comment too much as I am not sure if the mobs summon/which mercenary you are using/I haven't done them.

But as a wizard, for you to solo effectively you need to ideally be able to Snare them or Root them (reduce or stop movement) while you cast you damaging spells. If you snare them, you need to continually out run them while casting damage then running again. This is called kiting, one of the primary solo methods for wizards.

I am not sure, but if you have lost that much experience you have either died A LOT of times, or you have not been getting yourself a resurrection (from a player cleric, or a cleric mercenary) which will restore a large portion of the xp lost from death.

It's hard to gauge how much information I provide is usefull, as if you are a new player with previous MMO experience, I don't want to be condescending or provide not enough info.

So a bit more information on what/how you were/are doing to try and kill the quest NPC's will help provide better info, I haven't personally played a wizard from the heroic char and tried to solo the stuff so I do not know how easy it will be.

What server are you on? some people are pretty kind to help in that way being able to chat etc
    moogs likes this.
  4. EQvet Elder

Btw I would like to add that after 3 weeks of studying (lol) my heroic character is now capable of soloing anything his level and is a beast of a tank. When I logged in day one I was getting smacked around by everything too (like I said im glad I at least knew my way around and knew about rezing). So stick with it because this game is fun once you get into it.

But ya make sure you get a resurrection spell casted on you after you die. Pull out a healer merc and run to your corpse, when you get near it your merc will cast rez on the body and a box will come up asking if you want to accept the rez and you get back (90%) of exp lost. Druid shamans and clerics can also rez.
  5. AguaPurificata New Member

I think I'm just making it worse at this point ;-;
    Like I said, I'm not a noob to these kinds of games ether, having played and maxed in everything from WoW (Vanilla through Cata), Final Fantasy XI (US Launch to Abby), [ As well as the more recent \Final Fantasy XIV (1.0-2.0)], and even Ultima Online; those being some of more recognizable ones that I can think others will understand.

I tried to go back for my corpse from pre-down-level and it worked... but I died to a pack of mobs again shortly after and was unable to find that corpse even after 30+ minutes of going in one direction till the river, using 'Gate', and then traveling in another direction that looked familiar (but I mean what is familiar, really, everything looks the same at this point @.@)

So now I'm at 92% of 84 again and quickly getting discouraged. I fought the only mob in the zone I could find that I could actually stand a chance against, some sort of snake; even after killing about 30 or so It seemed like my XP bar literally hadn't moved at all. Is there a place I can go with more forgiving mobs and noticeable XP? I tried to kite but ended up getting destroyed by a pack of mobs I backed into; although starting off from the beginning trying to kite mobs, In a new game I cant even figure out probably wasn't the best choice...

EDIT: My server is Luclin (I think its spelled like that) I believe, I tried to communicate with some other players but they had a bit of a posh air toward my noobish failings...
  6. Riou EQResource

You can summon your corpses in the Guild Lobby (it is connected to Plane of Knowledge), if you are using a Cleric Merc you can get all your corpses rezed there from it. To summon corpse you need to go to Summoning merchant guy on either east or west side, buy the Soulstone appropriate for your level, then turn it in to a summoner in the same area, this will summon all your corpses there
  7. Medens New Member

If you use your invisibility spells and you Right Click NPC's from a distance you can 'consider' them, they will show a response in your main chat (by default) as something like 'npc named regards you indifferently - it appears to be quite formidable'

If it regards you indifferently, it either means it doesn't see through your invis or your faction is 'good' for them and they won't attack you.

This should help in recovering your corpse, you can also resort to the Guild Lobby (Off of Plane of Knowledge) and purchase a level appropriate summon stone from the vendors in the zone near 'Corpse Summoner' NPC

As for kiting, the Ferrott isn't an overly friendly zone for kiting, you need to be rather careful. Going near the zone edges/walls you can kite back and forth in the same area with more luck to not run into new mobs that will attack. Try and use your in game maps to see where some possibly ideal spots will be to kite and the compass (Alt+D by default) to keep a sense of which way you are going and not ending up in more dangerous areas.

You are best to only killing the mobs to further yourself in the tasks you have in your quest journal (Alt + Q) by default or can find it through the EQ button. The rewards from the quest completion will give a better bump in exp, you also will need to consider other zones. I am not much help in particular zones to solo as a wizard, but from memory guild mates would kite in Field of Scale or Old Bloodfields. You can find these places through the map window and using the zone guide button there.

Be aware, not all mobs will be kind enough to not summon you to them once they have taken some damage which will mean you can't kind them. This will be trial and error unless you find some more helpful tips and hints on where to hunt. Keep your Exodus AA button handy or egress AA/Spell ready on your spell bars to make a hasty exit to the zone safe spot.

Everquest has a fairly steep learning curve, but once you have a stronger foundation everything will make a lot more sense. Different times of day you may find more helpful people, sorry I can't of been more help here.
  8. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Probably the biggest problem with EQ is that there is no decent instruction manual. Once you learn it, it's an awesome game and easily worth the effort.

The thing is, because it's a video game, children and fools are often to be found. Don't let them get you down.

First, ask around about the great Wizards on your server. Reach out to them for advice.

Second, use the /lfguild command to find a guild that's right for you. Be sure to ask them about their wizards and how open they'd be to mentoring you.

Third, read this thread:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/wizard-heroic-character-guide.209212/

Post your specific questions in the Casters forum and ignore those who get off on being superior to a real newbie.

While Wizards can solo, it's a grouping game.
  9. ABBulldog Journeyman

I advise making a level1 wizard and doing the tutorial will take you to lvl 10-12, but once you get past 10 dont log out off unless you're in the tutorial if you havent finished it yet, otherwise you cant get back in. Learn the basics then get back on your heroic toon and go to loping planes, not so much to lvl up though you will get some exp. Most things will be green and light blue and much easier to learn what all of your abilities, spells and aa's do. And you won't die as much, will get your level back and then once you have a grasp of things try to get a partner and go back to the feeraot and do your mercenary j5 quest.

Theres a travelers guide at a berserker website that will tell you how to get places easily. Google:
    goberserker how to get there guide

I still use it quite a bit.

The challenge of eq is what keeps most players here as far as I can tell. Most of us love it. It will get easier as you figure stuff out but 85+ is much more of a challenge than pre 85.

Welcome to eq and have fun!
  10. ABBulldog Journeyman

...also as a wizard you have teleport spells and I believe one of them will take you right to loping planes wizard spire.
  11. Roxxanna Augur

I feel for ya, I started a thread on this very subject, my advice GET INTO A GOOD FAMILY STYLE GUILD NOW, look on the forums under guild recruitment, and just ask, our guild would like to have you if your really interested in staying, and don't worry about lost xp, we can fix that.
  12. Kolbayn Journeyman

Problem is with folks who have come from playing games like WoW , Rift and EQ2 is that while those games are fairly easy to solo with most classes as long as you are sensible in picking the mobs/quests , Everquest is , for a lot of classes , a group and a "join a guild " game.

I've been playing EQ since about 2001 but the thought of starting brand new with a heroic character in Feerott with no idea of what spells/aas do or no idea where everything is or how things work ( corpse summoning for instance ) in this massive game would be daunting to say the least .

Its an amazing game but needs a fair bit of looking up stuff if you are new - theres a real need for either a Heroic tutorial instance similar to the one we have atm for lvl 1s or a message from Sony to take a lvl 1 char through the tutorial , zone it to pok then upgrade it into a Heroic char there so at least you can get an idea of how the game works from the drop down boxes info.
  13. Borek-VS Augur

On the theory that I'm a moderately experienced player who should therefore have no trouble, I chose to heroise an old enchanter who had last played to raid the Plane of Time (some of that moderate experience is in playing higher level enchanters).

There's a good thread over in the casters forum section that's worth checking for any caster, plus Dandin's heroic videos on Youtube. I just picked up the J5 merc quest and ran through it - surprisingly easy, no deaths, even when I was accidentally trained with a (not weak) spider, nor when I ran through the middle of the lizard man camp by mistake - although a non-enchanter may have found that more troublesome.

All of the mobs you need to kill are weak, and a J1 healer merc can keep you up indefinitely against single pulls; or at least long enough for an enchanter to kill the mobs without a pet!
  14. Tornicade_IV Augur

Im on Luclin. not sure if ive seen you ask for help in general channel but thats always a good place. You should be doing some franklin Teek task for level 80 and 85. dead shade hills is a good play to kite I imagine. It sounds liek you may not have accepted the hot bar. you should looks at your spells if you right click they are already categorized for the most part but you can sort your spells for kiting, transporting , buffing and whatever.. this will make your spell sets a little bit easier to manage. Also you should have an evac up for when you get into trouble.. go through your aa you can sort by activatable. make your own customer hot bars. ( they can be reshaped) so you can familiarize yourself with that.. AS mentioned you have corpse summoners and shadowknights and necros can summon you as well if you have problems locating corpse.. as mentioned before take on some easy content and get familiar with your skills. regardlless of how many mmorpgs you played you havent played eq and the devil is in the details. on your map the zone guide utility is pretty useful but travel wise as a wizard you can go anywhere you want with a click pretty much.

use your wizard channel as well . calsses log into their class channel by default.
  15. Icaen Elder

You said you were on Luclin. If you need to ask questions, type /tell Esylv. I will be more than happy to help you.
    Petts likes this.
  16. Serriah_Test Augur

One of my main concerns is exactly what was mentioned: Documentation. There is none. There is too much reliance on 3rd party bulletin boards and info sites. Pretty much every company views documentation as a non-return cost of operation and they flake on it all the time.

My advice to you?
    Get out of Feerot2 (where you started) and teleport to older zones where mobs "con" light blue and hit for 1/5th what they do in Feerot. Slowly work your way up and get into as many groups as you can.

Give places like Valdeholm and Icefall a chance.
    Once you get the hang of it, move on to zones in the Secrets of Faydwer expansion and then Seeds of Destruction.
  17. AguaPurificata New Member

I'm struggling to figure out how to work some of my spells; half the time It seems they don't work, specifically invisibility and my teleport spells (which just mention "{blank} fades" but nothing happens to my character, which isn't even the name listed that was supposed to be teleporting). Since I down-leveled I've had to start over trying to learn what spells do what, since most of my main attack spells are now unusable. -.-"

The stress I'm feeling is tremendous.
  18. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

You're in quite a bad spot. Seek help. If you can't find it on your current server, they do sell server transfers, or you could buy another heroic character on another server.

I'm sorry, but I'm on Bertoxxulous Server and can't actually help you on Luclin Server.
  19. Mysl Augur

Relax, :) the worst happened to you will be you just need more time to grind your xp back. In EQ, when you die, you respawn at your bind point (as a wizard, you can change it) with all your items/gears with you. You lose about 9% or so XP. If you get a rez from a cleric, you regain some of your xp back.

First step, you said you have no idea where you are. When you log in, your character select will say when you are. If it said Feerot2, and if the go home button is in green, you can hit that button. It will then log you in your home city. I think for Heroic toons, home city is Crescent Reach. The spot you are in is very safe, so you do not have to worry about being attack.

Second step. In your spell gem bar, you create an empty spot. Right click on the empty spot, and you will see a pop-up, scroll down to the transport and a second menu will pop up, choose "The Plane", and a third menu will pop-up. The last one "27-Knowledge Gate" is the one you looking for. (The spells are color coded. Yellow means self only, Purple means the whole group you are in, the ones with the name Translocate: is used to send other people.) A side note, the number in front of the spell name means the level you can script into your spell book. Knowledge Gate is usable by any wizzard that is level 27 and up.

Third step. Once you are in Plane of Knowledge, use the Find command, to find the Guild Lobby. Once you are in Guild Lobby, find the Soul binder. There are one at each side of this big hall. Go there, and "bind" your soul there. Next time you die, you will be "respawn" in front of the soul binder.

At this point, it may be too late for you to find a cleric to help you get back most of the XP you had lost. However, next time when you die and respawn at the soul binder, you can go over to the little gnome in the same room, and buy an item which you can give to the NPC that will summon your corpse. If you do have a cleric merc, the cleric merc will rez you, and you will get some of the XP back. If you do not have a cleric merc, just /ooc Could someone please rez me? A lot of nice people around, they will rez you.

Now that you are in a safe spot, you can sit down and look at your spell books, play around a bit with spells and such.

There are several things that EQ are different from WoW:
    1. Self only spells - When using the spell, you must first target yourself; otherwise, it won't work
    2. Offensive spells - If you have yourself targeted, you can do yourself in :)
    3. Armor do not need repair, when you die, you lose XP, but will regain most of it if you get a rez in a timely manner.
    4. Mobs will chase you for a long way. When they return to their spot, they do not zip back like they do in WoW. Mobs wonder back, and on their way, they will attack anyone happened to be near them.

Hope this help a bit.
  20. Alelo New Member

Actually, the fact that you've played other games is a disadvantage here. It means you have expectations as to how things work, but this MMO is so different, that those expectations will not be met. I'd wager that someone who has never played an MMO and therefor, has no preconceptions as to how things will work, will have an easier time than someone who played other MMOs (save possibly DAoC and UO). I am on Luclin, though not playing as much. If you ever see Jaguara, Galzador, Alelo, or Hamona online, feel free to send a tell and I'll gladly help you in game. But read what everyone else here has said, it's good info.

Specifically, to invisibility. If you are invisible, your name over your head will be in (parenthesis) to denote that you are invisible (as you can see invis through your head item).