Everquest is a pvp game

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by icefilms, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluid Augur

At the turn of the century MMPOG was to gamers what Disco was to dancers in the 70s. MMPOG will suffer the same fate which is not to say people don't still dance, just that a lot of the 'everyone is doing it so I will too' crowd is moving on.
    AcemoneyFV likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You are speaking as if you are stating facts but are actually trotting out massively inaccurate information, you are so wrong it hurts & your combative tone looks really silly when you know how the game was built from the get go.

So, FYI

JOHN SMEDLEY

Brad's and my only real point of contention was, I wanted player-versus-player in EverQuest. I pushed that hard. A lot of that was a reaction to Ultima Online, but that desire was there quite a bit before that. The idea of having different races, some of which are antagonistic to each other—it felt natural to me that there should be some sort of PVP.

Brad, to his credit, saw the importance of co-op, and that's really what made EverQuest."

BRAD McQUAID

There were PVP-only MUDs back in the day. As always, 10 to 20 percent of your player base will like to PVP. That gets more and more granular until you're talking, ‘What kind of PVP? Unrestricted? In an arena?’ So, there were these PVP MUDs, and they weren't as popular as the PVE MUDs, Steve and I logged in, and within a few days, I was just done getting ganked. I was done being crushed.

PVP was interfering with how I wanted to play the game. I wanted to explore areas and learn about them. But if you walk into a new area, and there are a bunch of players guarding it because it's their territory, and they just mow you down, it's no fun. Steve and I just looked at each other and said, ‘We are not making a PVP game. This is a PVE game.’ Some PVP things may have been optional, but from day one, EverQuest was [centered on] PVE.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/110494/better-together-stories-of-everquest

IF you want to "prove" there is a real PvP audience, which is the only way that you are ever going to persuade the devs it is worth their time, there's a server for it already, gather all of these super keen PvPers you seem to believe exist there & if you can gather so many players it is clearly not enough to have that one server cater to them you will have made your point, I think however that you will fall flat on your face in that effort if you tried, which you won't because you don't have any faith in that being possible really.
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Vexn Elder

Very unrealistic request by the devs. They can hardly get people to play their butchered version of EverQuest as is. The simplicity of classic~>Velious was where PvP was enjoyed and the only type of EverQuest PvP players are looking to relive.

To ask the players to go play a version of the game majority of the people all agree sucks to prove they want the classic version of it to PvP on is just silly. Maybe the Devs need to set a realistic goal.
  4. Machen New Member

While I agree that classic-->velious or luclin is where the good pvp was, there probably is even less money in it for DBG to do a velious locked pvp server. A server with that short of a lifespan and an end result that is the same or worse than Agnarr currently isn't going to bring in much. Edit to add--without major balancing changes, which they will not do, they can't stretch out these expansions past three months each. The content is now too easy. So you've basically got a server that would be guaranteed dead after 9 months.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Febb Augur

PvP in EQ is dead. They don't want to spend any resources on it because they created a monster having to spend a ton of resources balancing every expansion. However a velious locked PvP server might be something they might support. However I doubt enough people would stick around on a this type of server to make it worthwhile. People tend to get tired of just PvP and want to do the content. A limited amount of content tends to kill off populations fairly quickly.
  6. Silver-Crow Augur

It's been said many times before. Agnarr should be your go-to pvp TLP. It's locked at the 'simple' age that many crave. All you need to do is level up, and then turn red when you're ready. At that point all you need are a couple of red guilds and there you have your PVP TLP.

Now the best thing to do would be to have someone start 3 guilds.
    1st guild is Levelling up, and where people apply to.
    2nd and 3rd guilds are TeamA/TeamB, and players are moved between guilds to keep things competitive.

Job done :)
    Tymeless likes this.
  7. code-zero Augur

They (devs) aren't going to do that because they (griefers) want to be able to gank anyone anywhere for no reason at all.
  8. Silver-Crow Augur

Doesn't need to be a dev. Heck you could log into Agnarr, and set up
    A guild called Cannon Fodder, where all prospective PVP'rs join.

Additionally on 2 other Alts set up 2 more guild
    The knights of ganking
    The ganking knights

when players are ready to go red, you move them from Cannon Fodder to either knights of ganking or ganking nights depending on guild balance (got to keep it fun right)

then the 2 teams can gank each other to their hearts content.
    Once you've got a good core of people, who's to say a 3rd or 4th pvp guild won't appear, at which point it should pretty much run itself.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is a perfectly viable player made alternate solution to the issue, no it doesn't give what the OP was asking for, which has unrealistic expectations, but this suggestion has a lot of merit to it & if those PvP players are serious they'll give it a shot to show how much passion exists with the scope & size of the playerbase that exists for this type of content. Of course I am of the belief that this won't happen either, but to ask the Devs to take a huge gamble on a new TLP with no evidence to support it being remotely viable is simply not reasonable.

Step 1. Provide the evidence a big enough PvP audience exists to justify a TLP.

This is the only hurdle that stands in your way and you have now been provided two perfectly viable suggested ways to achieve that, and the power to do so is in the hands of the players themselves to make it happen, anything less is pointless conjecture.
  10. code-zero Augur

The devs have clearly stated the conditions that should be met in order for them to consider creating a PvP TLP. The suggestion fails to address that in any way.

If you want a PvP TLP stop making excuses and start playing on Zek
  11. Ceffener Augur

It’s ok, no one plays P99 Red either which is a server locked at the simpler times.
  12. Raytheon Augur

Nonsense. Everquest is a PvE game through and through, given the most difficult challenges in the game have always been Player vs. Elevator.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL, I used to hate that PoK elevator so much.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

MMM Elevators, oh they were fun (if you like pain).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.