EQ + AMD FX Help or Fix Please!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Ranghar, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Sarkaukar Augur

Thanks for the postings. Have it marked for future threads.
  2. Maxe Augur

Might be a good idea to sticky this forum. It helped me, and my method might help other 9590 users play :)
  3. Xnao Augur

This workaround stopped working for me as of the most recent patch.

Is it no longer working for anyone else?
  4. Behee Augur

It worked for me after all recent patches.

There is something else I noticed. I go to The Control Center->Performance tab->CPU Overdrive. There I can manually adjust the overclock, up to the speed permitted by the Auto-Tune I ran earlier. It says I can go to 4600Mhz on this CPU, so I select that. I try out EQ, and get the ultra high speed characters but the issue is clear at char select so I don't ever go into the game.

I now go out and slide the maximum CPU down to 4200Mhz, and hit Apply. Under the CPU Power section, the max CPU speed for the range is now capped at 4200 as expected. Now I run EQ again, and will not go into ultra fast mode.

What I found out is that I only need to get my accounts to the EULA screen. Then I return to Catalysts CPU Overdrive, and max out the CPU there (slider all the way to the right), giving me 4600Mhz, and the same for the CPU Power slider. Then I continue to load EQ all the way in to the game, and never get the too-fast issue, but the CPU is clearly running at 4600Mhz.

So you only have to hobble the CPU until you get to the EULA. After that, it appears to be locked to the game settings, and you can up the CPU speeds for anything else to use. If you load another EQ instance now, you will have that instance running at ultra-speedy but all those previous instances are fine (even after zoning, camping, changing servers etc).
  5. Xnao Augur

Well, I ended up finding out that my issue was the second instance of EQ I tried to load. The last patch was the first time I tried to load a second instance since I got this cpu. Overdrive works for my first instance, but the second always ends up hyperspeed. Even if overdrive is open, it only works on instance one.
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

In this post, you may need to add a second eqgame.exe for it to work on the second instance, if you are using this setup.
  7. Maxe Augur

You also need to update eqgame.exe if there are significant patches. Also, hitting apply after selecting the profiles a couple times seems to ensure it works. I haven't had any problems.