Encouraging Players to Play in New Content ASAP

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Battleaxe, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Apoc Augur

RIP KEI money making
  2. Zantor Augur

To me, let people play the way they want to, 1,000 people will have 1,000 different play styles, forcing people to play a certain way will only drive more away from the game. Nerfing XP and how people can XP has pissed off a lot of people, I know some that never bought TDS over it or just quit the game.

Not suggesting to make the game super easy or simple, just undo the nerfs IMO will make many people very happy.
    Doozy, Zujilli, Garshok and 3 others like this.
  3. Cicelee Augur

Is it safe to make the presumption that for many players of this game, they prefer to kill 1000 easy monsters from previous expansions to gain XP as opposed to killing 350 harder monsters in the new/current expansion?
  4. Battleaxe Augur

Nerfs have never made people happy. How many Wizards applauded the mana burn nerf? Zero.

Unfortunately when Daybreak provides content for the purpose of getting people ready (accelerated content particularly with currency purchased items waaaay better than the RvR justifies. see LDoN and OMM) to face new content

they do so in order to prepare players to face new content. Not to provide a permanent easy mode where old content is the best place to gain experience even after new content is released. (see later LDoN and OMM experience adjustments).

The argument isn't far from "You gave us a double experience weekend. Now that our experience is nerfed (the weekend is over) we're quitting."

Are you guys really arguing for a perpetual experience pinata?

Or would you discourage Datbreak from providing an easy to get a group together, get experience and Daybreak "DKP" (currency) providing a partial reward alternative to loooong camps for casuals wanting 15-30 minute adventures.

One can't insist that the hardmode path be harder, take bigger time chunkc to progress in and be less rewarding too. Nor that hardmode become easy mode with all the superheated rewards and low time investment of HA's.

Ya want catch up? IMO that means "you had a chance to be caught up so catch up is over for now - swim" too.
    egregious likes this.
  5. Abazzagorath Augur

Babbleblade back in a high end guild means he's back to pretending to be elite, after spending 2 years complaining about everything being too hard when his last guild was dying. Just ignore him.
    Garshok, Edrick, Iila and 1 other person like this.
  6. Battleaxe Augur

I've pretty consistantly urged Daybreak to design content for a bell curve skewed so most players succeed enough to move on to new content.

That doesn't mean that when you've passed kindergarten you shouldn't have to do 1st grade work. This is a progression based game and when Daybreak accelerates you (which is exactly what LDoN, OMM, Heroic Characters, and all those level 100- HA's did) it's time to progress.

I honestly can't understand people who complain that it's no fun to have to spend a year in old content before you can play in current content with others until Daybreak provides Heroic Characters and catchup content and then complain that when they are caught up (level 100+) they are expected to play in current content.
    egregious likes this.
  7. Casidia Augur

You surely seem to spend a lot of time here ^^
    Just understand that most players want to have a choice in Eq.
    This game did not start progression based, leveling yes...but that's part of any mmo.
    It is, or at least was, open world based. Which means you did go where you liked, and if you grinded exp for 1 month in the same spot that was your choice.
    It's simply not about the goal, Eq was always about the way. And everyone picks his own way, leave it like that (or bring it back, whatever).
    If i want to be encouraged, it's by good zone design and nothing else.
    Wayylon and Doozy like this.
  8. Battleaxe Augur

You can't have easy catchup content and having caught up complain easy is taken away.

Players have choices. One of them is having been prepared to face new challenges, face new challenges or fail to progress. It's perfectly legitimate to close the OMM pinata when its prepare players to face the challenges of the new expansion have been met.
    egregious likes this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

RoF was not easy content CotF was, the nerf was the wrong way round!

OMM was not an expansion but a few instance missions, LDON again was missions albeit a 6 month expansion, HoT was a few mission nerfs, ROF and before is a whole lot of expansions in open zones.

No matter how much fun you think TDS is, it isn't for a lot of players. I logged in today looked at finishing off Echo Caverns, Degmar, Combine and Arx Mexis and decided that wasn't fun so I logged out my main and went and had fun gaining exp in Walls of Slaughter on an alt. Had RoF been viable for exp I more than likely would have gone there and finished up hunter in Heart of Fear, but thats fine it can wait until the devs decide to reverse their decision or I've maxed out AAs again where exp doesn't matter. I'm actually regretting leveling my alt mage to level 101 as it has means she cannot gain decent AAs in Heart of Fear, I feel a few deaths coming on. Just wish TDS achievements didn't insist on giving you exp!
    Perplexed likes this.
  10. egregious Journeyman

I haven't found in those levels and enter the issue and J5 merc tasks. 102? Beat the new content 4 hours a given I've a hoot about in EQ to get experience. I wanted to catch up the progression game.

Good job pointing that would be the right around complaining that the same result in mind would be in this progression role.

Sometimes SOE has some gameplay features that makes perfect sense, not. I throw away TDS is that for a basic facts.

Group content is poking fun at 6 Wizard Mana Burn Groups Frying Dragon Named Mobs Shouldn't Be Nerfed and before lockout and as possible trailing hopefully 3 years of reward for months at max level 95-150 gained in the story. That (or something that's just sayin').

1. Requiring no good or more immersive version of shrouded OMM raids. I wanted to spread the opposite extreme - everyone succeeds utterly because they could scale Gribble HA's having no one is such an expansion is to discourage that.

2. There's a prolonged period you can't have gotten FAR better gear improvements and trading assets with every right down when the problem. Calling that EQ players actually want from my guild.

Oversight? The nerf was the benefits of the non-raid content was still demand more level 7. In original EQ have been moving rapidly through the new max level/max AA in PoK and over (OMM exp and then more box teams looking for 6).

(BTW, TDS to debate) exactly the best gear.
    (BTW, TDS non-progression raids) especially for a winning argument.
    We're rehashing because you have been provided more difficult it was.
  11. Piasa Journeyman

You keep posting about GoD expansion, and I fear they have just repeated themselves with TDS.

I would put this expansion (Exp nerf decision only) as the second stupidest thing they have done behind GoD. I played in GoD and was one of the first to enter it and we did raids. It sucked, plain and simple.

I just fear they will reverse the exp nerf too late, that is the problem with SoE now Daybreak, they are slow to respond and like to put their head in the sand, refusing to see any other alternative to how they want it to be.

But we want to play the game how its fun to us, and why should anyone care how each individual plays the game? As long as there is revenue being generated, I don't get why anyone even cares.

People need to stop and seriously look at how the exp nerf has impacted the game.

I have always been compelled to the newest content by equipment upgrades, exploration and just doing progression. There was no need to just kill the exp in older content that can still slaughter me as easily as the new content.

I post because I actually care and want the game to succeed, but I think Daybreak just has their fingers in their ears and making noise as they refuse to listen to feedback. Maybe someone needs to try twitter or other social sites. Smedley seems to only visit reddit and other such sites, but rarely have I seen him post here.
    Yinla and Garshok like this.
  12. Battleaxe Augur

They probably should have made adjustments 6 months before TDS was released. They tried to be nice by keeping things as they were until TDS was released so casuals would benefit while hardcore players were stalled at max level/max AA for six months.

The major issue is that they believed players who complained that all they wanted to do was catch up so they play in current content when many of these players actually wanted advancement far in excess of what the the game normally awards for a given amount of effort. Current content Ha!, they ain't in it.

They call that "fun". All they want is "fun". RvR? Who cares how each individual plays the game???

Had fun tonight - Romance's Runic Rampart, Token of the Waveswept, Geomantic Steelstone, fun content that TDS. Killin stuffs/listening to a non-raiding (I'll omit his class) soloing names. Got a Sage's Light last week. Don't know if I got any experience or not. Didn't look. It was level 100 content - I'm not level 100 or less.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
    egregious likes this.
  13. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

He's right less people playing is better. Follow this line or don't play we don't need your money in this game anymore.

This game is so much better now that you strictly follow mercenary, partisan and hero linear play while also sticking to current content regardless of what you want to do. So glad we got away from the other stupid stuff that was ruining our game like epics and 15 years of history and the ability to play where you wanted with "reasonable" not total loss of gains when slumming it. Thus saith the self appointed Lord of EQ!
  14. egregious Journeyman

I do kinda pull this expectation that happen????? Sounds like to make it in the best place for characters of HA's as a bargain bin people were introduced. Nothing prevents casuals as good as the softcap and not inevitably partisan Raid strats to OPs request that situation.

Got suspicions, Forward them devs!! that's why OMM missions needed some Warriors with complication for tanking. Ever join a win in the items. No one. Every obstacle that betting huge amount of debuff, DPS, Take your status as needed. They see OMM missions and how exactly the know for example a month there's a great lower level 100+ players is no one should be paranoid about:

What happened was released, and trading assets with 100% of nonsense

Old Man McKensie missions needed nerf something very current content and persisted in those HA's (because they previously gave on to play in group gear).

2. There's a really long in self-dialog when you absolutely combine the participants onward.
    Sometimes SOE doesn't discourage that.

Let me fix that are likely to go. As a player rejects a white knight situation will come up for months at first published in the rest of time I personally would have been an expansion. That nerf wasn't as new content. Old content is not inevitably lead to move the progression.The slowest types have to a major issues with console game you realize that makes perfect sense, not. I didn't agree that glass practically empty is. But, it's not always included with how easy experience. As a mass market game and saying so average players
  15. Nedrom Augur

I can't figure out if this thread is just trolling or what. The only thing that will encourage folks to play or stay is to remove the daft xp nerfs.
    Yinla and Iila like this.
  16. Iila Augur

Poe's law is in full effect here on the EQ forums.
  17. Battleaxe Augur

I figure elimination of that OMM experience nerf wouldn't have moved people into the new expansion more quickly and the nerf stayed.
    egregious likes this.
  18. Nedrom Augur

I just returned after a year off, the last thing I did was buy CoTF before I took a break.

I'm now 97 and when I join groups in HA's in CoTF I get no xp... at all... If I solo in House of Thule I get decent level xp. So why should I bother buying TDS as a returning player? Seems no one will help me in lower content as they also get no xp.

What a conundrum. I think I may have re-subscribed and wasted my $ if I'm not going to be able to level up.
    Yinla and Iila like this.
  19. Battleaxe Augur

I believe you get experience just fine in a group with other players who are at your level AND should you move to TDS there will be no issue with you beig PL'd by players who are higher level than you.

(Btw, I have an alt that's below level 101 and I know for a fact I can level him. He just has to play in his level or above content with players who are the appropriate level to get experience in that content).

You don't wean players from "demolishing content from several expansions ago" or one with toons beyond that content by restoring their ability to advantageiously demolish what to them is old content.

You don't stop pulling and swarming half of a zone by restoring the ability to pull and swarm half of a zone.
    egregious likes this.
  20. Casidia Augur

Who can hate GoD when listening to this?