[Enchanters] So.. your input

Discussion in 'Casters' started by silku, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Kriska Journeyman

Oh yeah why BG and CH...

I like BG for the challenge, petting the young drakes is tres' cool and frying a namer within the time my Bot war still has defenses is an interesting challenge. One other reason, my Rat pals (Chetari) are the best technical challenge in the tunnels in the Xpac.

The reason I like CH is again the challenge and you don't need a dual wielding pet to do scary dps. Again with a proper pet and my Bot war, namers melt.

[IMG]
  2. enclee Augur

It's possible to take down nameds with just you and a wizzy merc. Have two pets ready, send the first pet in with Companions Blessing & Sturdy Companion. When the first pet gets low pop send your PO in, then either hit Fog of Memories or use the UF belt mem blur click, so it'll prevent you from being summoned or the wizzy merc. Charm the second pet, and finish the named. Adds some level or challenge to the game to get the timing right and the named is just a normal tank and spank.
  3. silku Augur

Sturdy Companion? You mean fortify companion? Didn't think sturdy affected our charm pets?
  4. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Considering what I charmed last night, I'd be very surprised if I wasn't top of the chart...until an end was put to my fun anyway. Probably best that we didn't parse, don't want people crying about it.
  5. enclee Augur

Yea, meant Fortified always confuse the two.
    silku likes this.
  6. Camou the Persistent Augur

I know that many consider DPS as important, but tbh, who cares about DPS? I can easily generate high DPS values, but the only thing that counts at the end of a fight is how much over all damage did you do over the time you have been in battle when compared to others.

Necros and rangers can do a load of damage. But not all fights, especially in raids, are fitting into their DPS schematic. Some mobs blurr themselves and clear spells that do increase their dmg over time (Xorbb 1), some mobs interrupt the battle and become inactive (Vulak), while the force has to handle adds, in others you have mobs that are mezzable and leave chanters back with a single mezzed mob that allows us to reload our twincast triggers and stay in a burn over the whole 10 minutes.

I mean if you dont use your opportunities to make an encounter easier for some or certain classes, you must not complain about low DPS or grade of difficulty of encounters. I lay heavy weight on our quaility of skills among the chanters. I always encourage them to become quicker or fullfill additional tasks during raids, convince the raid leaders that they use us enchanters for special jobs allowing the raid force to execute special tactics and bring other classes to use and yell for certain buffs and group constellations in which enchanters have a very high benefit. That also involves burn trainings on dummies and competition among us to find out how to benefit from others experiences on the use of spells. There is much activitly behind.

I am aware that many experienced players have some kind fixed point on what an enchanter does, can do and has to do on raids. If your guild doesnt try out new tactics and strategies which also involve that classes have to come up with "new" solutions to allow the guild alternative way to solve specific problems, then i can see your points for arguing. But it is then up to you to convince those players, that are relevant for those decisions.

I mean, you can do most encounters on brainless tactics like spank'n'tank-until-he's-down. But you must accept that there exist smarter ways to do it. Just to go them is sometimes very difficult to start up. :)
  7. Mizoto Lorekeeper

I'm curious, what does PO stand for in this case? I'm thinking it is shiny bob, but not sure. The timing on this must be tough to manage and would either sacrifice you or the merc if not perfect.
  8. Mykaylla Augur

Phantasmal Opponent.
    silku likes this.
  9. Riviera New Member

I started my encahnter in May of 1999, and like many players, after the prime years, took some time off after LDoN came out, due to the deep disappointment.

I saw then as I see now that very few see what and why a person makes an enchanter and where they feel they belong. We made a charater that seemed the image of the box cover art, and given a choice decided to have a pet, gven the alternatives.

I know I felt I would be just as powerful dps wise as a magician or a wizard. Although that is simply not true. As long as I can remember groups have blamed me for group wipe outs because they could name a spell I possessed that could have saved the day. The reality is we dont have the capability at lower levels, and later with AA buttons and clickys, we dont get offensive capability. Who and why was it decided we should be penalized for having charm?

Have you or anyone compared the number of buttons, concentration level, risk and low reward of charming mobs? For the most part its a toy. I query enchanters often on my server, Bert, and ask if they know how to solo charm, and if so could they give me a lesson. About 25% of the time they say, the character is a box to buff their wizard, magician, or other mana intensive toon. Yes, at high levels enchanter is a popular extra for buffage on the second account. Another 50 % say they are raid players or group players and dont charm anymore or very little and would not be someoen to teach another how to charm.

Of the remaing 25%, only about 5% will take me up on the lesson request. Prior to starting, their skills vary, most have no idea how to layer their runes, or various defensive buffers, the remaining ones often charm very differently, some use banish, some use stasis, some use neither and rely on ward. However, it has never been the case, that I can enjoy watching an enchanter charm and consitantly kill dark blues, evens or yellows at a pace that compares to the rate of xp gain given other classes in their solo endevears.

It appears to me, that the designres believe that players posses the will and kill to push a dozen spells, and actively move around mobs to make a few kills, and can do this for hours on end. It does not happen, and wont ever happen except for a very very small subset of players.

Why are we penalized forhaving this terribly weak offensive skill? Oh I have heard it dozens of times. "I saw this chanter over is blah blah zone chewing up the mobs," why dont you do that? I have 520 days played and put enourmous energy into charming and it is simply so much harder than root/shoot, or snare dot or pet atack, lean back nuke nuke, next.

Every class should be able to solo to a satisfying degree. It is not the fact we are a support class that should penalize us. We give so much to the players of the game, and no enchanter will ever give up the loving of a good group, however it doesnt happen often anymore due to our pitiful dps. To make maters worse, enchanters tend to be appologists since we realize we do have an amazing tool kit. Unfortunately, its useless most of the time, with the exception of 4 or 5 lines of spells.

Give us a wow wiz kaboom skill of some kind comparable to Headshot, or Swarming, or Pet killing of various kinds. Every other class is much better at killing stuff. And, dont consider charm into the equation, when considering these matters unless you actually make it good and viable at charming yellows and kiling light reds or something on that order. The speed of kills, given a single pet, will never compare to killing 60 or 70 mobs every few minutes, thus we wont be in competition.

We need a drastic improvement in DPS, probably in the charm department. And, in doing so, make sure it is viable to all players, not just the 1% who will invest the huge amount of time selecting very hard to find kill areas with proper pathing, magic resist on targets, and able to overcome frequent server shortcomings such as lag, and spell pacing.

Double our nuke. Make our charm viable in charming yellows to average enchanters of any level up to 100, and not the suicide mission it is exept for a very few.

That is what we need.

Riviera 88th season Bert Server
  10. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

For those who are interested, every class has the same damaged potential in WoW. If you want clerics and warriors to do the same damage as mages and rogues, that's probably the game for you. Of course, an interesting class like enchanter can't exist in WoW. We have far too much utility to be capable of equal damage.

I much prefer the complexity of EQ.
  11. silku Augur

I think the defense of we have interest so we shouldn't be able to do any dps is old and tired. I don't think we should do the same dps as a wizard.. but I do think that if you add all of our adps up in a fight, we should be doing as much if not more THROUGH others. I also think that it's a shame that we are one of the only classes that simply zoning into an old world zones neuters our dps. No one else leaves their dps in higher zones with what they can charm, and that is a real shame.
  12. Kriska Journeyman

Rats - wouldn't let me edit a prior post

Ok, to show my thoughts I present some TOV parse material, likely imperfectly accurate due to the fact I wasn't the one parsing
    My group included a druid, 2 necros, a bard and me -(Overall the raid had 2 chanters and 5 bards, the melee dps groups had shammies and bards, the caster dps groups had druids and bards)

So after getting past the Gatekeeper, the pull team cleared trash for 2 bosses back to back (e.g. no pause between)

Raid lightly burned Lord Feshlak in 285s where none of the top 10 were under 35k dps (hint no chanter on that)
    - as soon as he hit the pavement - bam next dragon pulled

Dargan the Destroyer in 327s

253012k @ 773736dps
    ... parse order
    Wiz, zerk, wiz, ranga, necro, necro, wiz, mage, chanter with 8685K @28291dps (me), necro

No Glyphs burned, only used improved twincast, and calculated insanity and then 3rd spire (Robe click and level 92 tash on the burn as well). Druid hit black wolf mid-way and bard did some bard stuff, druid ran fire aura as the necros prefer it over mana reverberation. Chanter auras were twincast and arctender's echo (mana) dropped where the clerics were set up.
    ---
    My theme comment is that raiding chanters do what is considered best by the Raid leader for overall raid performance. While we are considered by non-enchanters to have some utility for caster groups, that's about it. As for the Enchanters v Bards commentary, notice that the bigger burn design stacks necros with both Bard and Chanter with a druid healing. If we had other spells/utilities/tools that were viewed by non-enchanters as improving our utility across the groups to include melee as well as caster groups then life would improve as chanters would be seen as more desirable by raid leaders.

[IMG]