Easiest DPS? This statement still hold true?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gerzer, May 11, 2017.

1. Gerzer Lorekeeper

No class does good DPS with just auto attack. If thats what you want, I recommend you use mercs and focus on another class instead of melee dps.

Necros and Mages are decent classes for DPS that can have casting and pet stuff set to a macro button or two that will do way more dps than any melee.
    Gearz, May 27, 2013
    Over 4 years ago and wondering if things have changed.
    What is better DPS all auto-attack with only /autoskill firing:
    Boxed
    Warr
    Bard - melody
    Cleric
    Mercs
    Wiz - Burn
    Wiz - Burn
    Wiz - Burn
    vs
    Boxed
    War
    Bard melody+melee
    Shaman - Roar
    Zerker or Monk
    Mercs
    Wiz - burn
    Cleric
  2. Thraine Augur

Drusi likes this.
  3. Bigstomp Augur

Easily the second. The bard amps both the war and the zerk/monk, and far less so the wiz mercs.
    Wizard mercs even on burn are bad dps.
  4. Chaosflux Augur

Warrior auto attack with a bard is pretty decent

And monks are pretty much a joke at this point

And mercs are terrible dps, below cleric or bard by a bit (though bard and cleric dps needs some love given current state of DPS)
  5. Kallitank Elder

I can't remember the exact number , but wiz merc on burn in my group was around 30,000 dps.
  6. Gerzer Lorekeeper

Sweet ty! Not averse to parsing one bit. Didn't know what was used anymore. Used to parse all the time 'back in the day' like 2006ish. Can't even remember what it was called... Yalp I think...

Thanks again
  7. Coronay Augur

Sometimes I'll roll as war / bard / clr + 3 dps mercs (usually rogue ones, they do not run oom) and I just go around slaughtering everything pretty effectively. I think the bard songs even help the rogue mercs!
  8. Thraine Augur

Yalp is still around, i have a buddy who uses it, he claims its far more exact and specific when parsing dots. i dont know for sure i just use gamparse.

but personally i would do some parsing cause the easy one might not be the best course to follow and most classes become easier over time after you put in the hours playing them
  9. Whulfgar Augur

I'd agree the second is the better of the two you have asked about but due to alliances now days it pays to have doubles or even triples of classes for that oh so sexy fulmination proc.. (no not mercs but actual boxed toons)
  10. Bigstomp Augur

Agreed, although (I know some people do it) I can't imagine boxing a team that big.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  11. Tucoh Augur

I don't really know what you're trying to build, but another complication with auto-attack is that you have to be in melee. Rangers can autofire, but maintaining autofire on a box isn't as easy as maintaining auto-attack on a box because there's no "/autofire on" command.

If you're trying to set up a box group's DPS, this thread describes some ideas that might be helpful:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/tucos-setup-critique-welcome.240258/
  12. Thraine Augur

really, theres no autofire on command?? i wonder what ive been using all these years then :eek:
    Coronay likes this.
  13. Tucoh Augur

What happens when you type the following?
    /autofire on
    /autofire on
    ?

Because for me it turns autofire on, and then turns it off =\ What am I missing?
  14. Phrovo1 Augur

if you use the command twice, it turns it on then turns it back off
    Chaosflux likes this.
  15. Chaosflux Augur

/autofire

No on. Dun.
  16. Tucoh Augur

Yeah that's my understanding too. I was hoping Thraine had some information I didn't know about, and knew about an /autofire on command, instead of just the /autofire toggle.

Here's why the difference is important: If Gerzer is trying to create a minimal effort DPS box and uses a ranger, he'll either have to use it in melee and have to position it, or use it in range and have to manage the state of the autofire system.

In a light usage, this is pretty easy. There might even be better ways, but one way is to ensure auto-attack on assist is on (/assist on) and have a macro that essentially does:
    /pause 5, /assist Gerzer
    /autofire

Or a macro that explicitly turns /attack on (turning off autofire) ex:
    /attack on
    /autofire

This is all well and good except for two problems: 1. I've found the above macros to not work reliably (and I may be missing something) and 2. They with autofire enough that if Gerzer idly over-uses them, it'll decrease his ranger box's DPS. This seems silly, but his team, when properly configured, will be killing mobs every ten seconds, so he'll have to spend a good deal of time managing the autofire on his ranger.

I actually just ditched /autofire on my ranger box and have my G600 mouse have its own autofire toggle which works much better.

Compare that with a berserker, where one can just put /assist Gerzer on top of every macro that triggers the berserker's abilities, and it's a noticeable difference when considering minimal effort ranger boxes.
  17. Chaosflux Augur

Unless I am remembering wrong, once you have autofire on all you need to do is /assist with /assist off.

Dead mobs don't turn it off (subject to my memory, I haven't used autofire in a very long time)
  18. Phrovo1 Augur

it's weird, I've had cases where I haven't had to turn it on and cases where I had to turn it back on every time I forgot to switch before the target died
  19. Tucoh Augur

Unless there's something I don't know, yeah, dead mobs turn it off, but only sometimes =\

I found the issue ticket asking for it, they said it might be in a future QoL patch coming soon!
    https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-1489
  20. Chaosflux Augur

Weird, did it break at some point I could have swore I used to turn the thing on and just lolheadshot, with 0 cares in the world.