Easiest class for new prog server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Babayetu0101, Oct 13, 2019.

1. That0neguy Augur

And this is the problem with dumping players onto a server like this. 90% of them will be so lost.
    Machen likes this.
  2. Laronk Augur

I think some people will be way more challenged than they expect if they're pointing at these dps classes and saying they're simple. If you go play with pickup groups on live there's people who have trouble out dpsing a dps merc (dps mercs do very sad dps on live) At level 85 DPS mercs actually are closer to players in terms of power so if you suck you're going to be worse than a merc.

The hard part of being a priest on this server is actually the fact that your tank is going to suck and not press all of his buttons that he should be pressing.
  3. code-zero Augur

I figure that since almost everyone there is pretty much in the same boat when it comes to knowing what to do it'll all sort out okay. Well at least sort of okay.
  4. Metapsyche Augur

I this this server is going to be pretty amazing- I’m sad that it didn’t start in the summer next year so raiding would be wrapped up on live and I could devote time to it. I love the idea of making a Bard to Play with your friends Mage. I ran that two box for years and it’s ridiculously strong and enjoyable to play.
    ntellect likes this.
  5. Midnitewolf Augur

Thank God!!!

The more I hear, the more curious I become. I also think I will stop derailing the thread by offering opinions based on the lower level game as it sounds like way too much changes significantly between level 70 and level 85.
  6. Laronk Augur

You should come check out the server, the game actually changes a bunch in that level range. In terms of dps it becomes a little bit more complicated and there's more knowledge required to put out good numbers.

If you haven't played the 85+ game before I think you'll find that there's well structured progression with a lot of quests to do, where 1-70 is a mob killing grind at 85+ on a server where everyone else starts at 85 you can get max level mostly through questing and if you help other people quest you can even max out your aa without just standing in one spot for hours and hours on end.

On live I see people grind to max level and max aa in a new expansion without having done the quests, I think they're weird.
    code-zero and Yinla like this.
  7. Belkar_OotS Augur

I think it depends on what the original poster considers simple.

If the need for setting a multibind is a major deterrent, where the class needs a lot of "spam" to perform well would be a different list than a class that is single minded with objectives to deal with but changes focus a great deal.

Necros and bards are the least "spam" classes in my experience.

Necros are primarily cycling dots, tossing in some clicks and AA as they go along. Good variety of survival skills and can pull, have a pet.
    Multibind not necessary or even useful. Not a very stackable class and is more complicated for raiding with cycling actual spell sets which isn't necessary for a group necro. Swift dots are a thing in HoT. So they are semi decent in groups all considered at launch.

Bards. Set up a few good melodies and autoattack and you really don't spam anything. But you will be starting and stopping melody constantly. Being a good bard requires knowing how to pull, crowd control, cure etc etc. Even better bards know how to maintain the spell cycle of their melody and when to restart it without droppi g songs etc. More group and raid desireable than a necro.

Next least spammy are probably druid and enchanter for me. Druid doing dots won't be spammy other than their AA nuke between casts. Druids nuking would want a bind. Druid healing is kind of a wash for a bind since they just end up chaining Vida with the other 2 heals filling in every cycle. So a bind helps but is not going to be hugely more productive.

Enchanters also use dots, and they don't have anything to spam between nukes so while it is a very knowledge driven class, it isn't all that spammy. Benefits from a bind but not hugely negative without one.

Shaman are not spammy when dpsing but do benefit a lot from a healing bind. I don't consider it a very simple class though with their variety of utility.

If making a multibind and spamming is not an issue, rogue/berserker, wizard and mage can all be 1 button wonders most of the time and just launch burns when they are ready. Much less decision making is involved. Thus are fairly simple once you decide how to do your bind.

Clerics are also quite spammy and have more variety in their ability usage and needs, but are not extremely complex.

Ranger/BL are king spam classes and also not simple.

Every class has layers of knowledge and skill associated that will vastly influence what makes a class hard versus easy for some people.
  8. Montag Augur

Could you maybe have phrased that less insultingly?
  9. Laronk Augur

I don't think he said no multi binds he said he didn't like having a ton of keybinds which I think he actually means a ton of hotkeys.

I'd say pick a class you like and people here on the boards can help you. A multi bind just presses multiple spells or abilities for you its like the spam key. For example on my cleric instead of deciding which single target to press I just have to press Z and its going to cast a good single target heal for me in the order I want them cast.

Then for hotbars, if you willy nilly assign all your abilities to hotbars it's for sure overwheilming

I like to break my hotbars into
    Defensive
    Normal offensive abilities
    Burn
    Utility

And then I order everything left to right in the order I use them so for burn I'd put my burns in their optimal order then I just have to click from left to right as things wear off. For defensive I place them in the best order from left to right again depending on class. You do end up using more hotbars but you can keep everything organized better.
  10. Bankheadz New Member

To everyone saying mage: not mage.
  11. Piznut Angry Gnome

While the new TLP is kinda interesting to me...I'm a little scared to start honestly. I played everquest (and played well) up until Ro. After that I quit original EQ and came back for Coirnav TLP. I've got a few heroic characters, but just feel overwhelmed with how many buttons there are.

My fear with the new server, is that I'll be grossly inefficient with my character, compared to learning them step by step throughout the expansions with the current TLP progression i'm on.

The game changes so much from level 70 to level 85 that it can be overwhelming to have 20-30 different abilities vs. the 5-10 I have now.
  12. SunDrake Augur

It sounds like you are the type player who'd do just fine. You understand and acknowledge your deficiencies, so you'd likely be inclined to tackle that early on. You will be starting on a server that might have a very high percentage of people who are in the same boat you are, or worse. If the server ends up populated with TLP players who have mostly just done the '99-PoP era, there will likely be a period where people can find other people to learn up with.

So basically, give it a go. This server kinda feels like it does not have a whole lot of traction amongst the community right now. The more folks who are willing to give it a go and roll early could make or break the concept.
  13. ntellect Augur

Completely agree with SunDrake. This is the best server for new people to join because 1) everybody will be 85 and I suspect most wont know what they are doing making it a somewhat level field 2) we get to play fleshed out classes when they become defined and more fun.

I have several heroic characters just rotting on FV not because I didnt like them but because I had no one to play with. The grounds were empty. With this server everyone is going to be my level. Most are going to be overwhelmed so we can learn all of these new abilities over time together.

I think some people are looking at this as if they will be playing with veterans. While some vets may join I see this server for new players.

Can you see how much fun this is going to be with all these novice players running around? Cant wait.

I'm going Shadow Knight (but rolling a wizard and druid to reserve my names just in case).

Im more overwhelmed with Gnome SK or DE?
    Yinla likes this.