Easiest class for new prog server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Babayetu0101, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Babayetu0101 Journeyman

I'll preface this with saying I don't like tanking. I have only ever played to ~60 and I found when I went on FV I was just 100% overloaded with so many abilities, keybinds, etc. I felt I didn't know what to do or how to play.

However I'd like to bite the bullet this time and try my best with the new 85 HoT prog server coming out.

I'm wondering which class is the "easiest" to play, as in, I don't really care what the class is, but the class that takes the least amount of button mashing, has the lowest skill ceiling, skill weaving, etc. It's not that I'm adverse to having ~12-15 hotbuttons, but it seems like most people on live have 30+, and that feels awful IMO.

Thanks for any help or suggestions :)
  2. Boze TLP complaint factory

I mean.... at 85 you're going to have a lot of buttons no matter which class you pick. I'd say Mage might be the easiest around this era. Most of the button clicking with mages comes down to optimizing your nuke multibinds.
  3. Xanathol Augur

Mage. Next?
  4. Babayetu0101 Journeyman

Yes. Next.
  5. Babayetu0101 Journeyman

Ok thanks, appreciate the advice. Turns out my friend is also running a mage :( Would you have a close second?
  6. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

You're barking up the wrong tree, I think. Best to stay on Mangler I think and stick to your auto attacking in a corner. If you don't wanna play a game that involves pushing buttons or clicking things, don't play a game that involves pushing buttons or clicking things.
  7. Babayetu0101 Journeyman

It's not that I wont or don't want to, it was just overwhelming, which is why I'm looking for the easiest one to ease my way into it.
  8. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

You said your friend would be playing a mage? Are you planning on grouping with him a lot?
  9. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

If your buddy is a mage, you go Enchanter. 2 healer mercs, will be able to tackle most group content, once your geared up.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Babayetu0101 Journeyman

I should have specified, I don't care too too much about molo or duo, this would be mostly for group full party play
  11. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Agree with Dythan to an extent. Enchanter pairs well with a mage. That pairing gets better from ROF onward. I'd also recommend a druid. Group Black Wolf / Auras will increase the dps of the mage. Ports / COTH / Evac create lots of travelling options. Druid fire debuff helps the mage. Mage malo helps the druid. Druid can spot-heal if needed, or add dps when heals aren't an issue.
    code-zero likes this.
  12. Rayvorn Elder

Any of the none casting melee. It's that simple. You make hotkeys to use your cooldowns (there is a certain order but just need to make a hot key). Fight starts...hit your opener hotkey and then autoattack (the game even hits your skills for you now with autoskill). When your first set of cooldowns expire, hit your next set, ect ect till your out of endurance or the boss is dead. Rogue and Zerker you arent expected to do anything in the group except dps and Monk you might have to pull.

Your other option is to be a wizard. Mage doesnt sound up your all because you have to by default micro manage your pet, which is more work (not hard). Wizard is the same..hit your nukes....use your cooldowns accordingly but melee is easier because dont have to worry about mana management.
    menown likes this.
  13. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

If you've ever played a bard to at least PoP their basic gameplay doesn't change that much up to level 90. You get a few more "burn" AAs but the formula of Pull Mob->Mez/Fade->Play songs for group stays the same, it's just easier because you'll have the 2% of total mana fade along with out of combat regen.

Mage/Bard with cleric mercs can also handle most any group content thrown at you if you and your friend play together.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Babayetu0101 Journeyman

Thanks, as the resident rogue expert, would you say rog or bers is "easier"? I know bers is mostly considered higher dps across all content, but is 85 way better or worse for either bers or rog?
  15. Terranos Elder

Druid

after you type /lfg on, you shouldn't have to push another button for a long time
    Xhartor and Oakenblade like this.
  16. Aegir Augur

If your friend is going Mage. You should go Enchanter. Don't be afraid of the large aray of utility, you will learn that on the way. Just have 2 healer mercs in your group to keep your charmed pet being healed on auto-pilot. HoT is very good expansion for charm pets.
  17. Zipe The Healer

I would say that nowadays is still Monk>Berz>Rogue.
    For me, rogue golden stage has already started. The complexity ranked up and you actually have to use some brains to play it. You have most of your awesome tools that you will be using up to live (minus some filler discs).
    For group content you have your slow poisons. For Raiding you have your Tallon/Vallon if you want to sync with other rogues or Heroic's Toxin (in VoA) if you don't want to depend on other rogues using poisons.
    And for burning, just remember that Rogue's fury shouldn't be stacked with Assassin disc line and that Easy mark and pinpoint doesn't stack, so you should use one after the other (And sync it with your other rogues).
    For your regular sustained you have the Dots and the disc backstab line to spam.

I am explaining all this because, well, rogues are not as simple as they were and now their arsenal of tools is crazy fun, like the stuns, the dots, the mezzes and the blurs.
    As far as I know, from VoA and upwards, Monk will lose his first spot to Berz.
  18. Midnitewolf Augur

I have to admit, I haven't played a Chanter at level 85 but from what I have played up to level 70, they are anything but easy to play. In fact, I would say they have one of the top skill ceilings of any classes by far. Now maybe they change drastically between level 70 and 85 but somehow I doubt that is the case.
  19. Machen New Member

They are easy to play at level 85 if you want to be a moderately decent enchanter. They have so many survivability skills that it is really hard to die if you have even a low level of skill/knowledge.

If you really want to be an exceptional enchanter and push the class to the limits, that's an entirely different story, but that's the case for most classes in eq.
  20. Midnitewolf Augur

Well to be honest, even sub-65 Chanters have so many survivability skills it is really hard to die, unless your charming at least, but just being able to keep yourself alive has nothing to do with being able to actually play a Chanter effectively. Also when I say effectively, I am not talking about some uber skill level, I am talking being average at play the class. Just understanding the CC game can be a challenge if you even remotely think past just spaming mez on any active mob.

I mean do you lead off with a AoE mez or do you, try to mez each target in sequence? What do you do if you have a resist? How do you react to your charm breaking just as the Puller brings 5 mobs to the group expecting you to get them under control in 10 seconds or less, what tools do you us? What spells do you have on your bar? When do you swap spells and under what situations? Under what situations does using Stun vs mez for CC make sense? That list goes on and on. It is also a very tense class to play because if you lose focus for even a second, things can go bad fast. You also have to be very resistant to panic when things go south because only you can get it all under control.

To me that is hard or at least much harder than something like a mage where typically your just sending if your pet and deciding when is the best time to nuke. I know that is oversimplifying the Mage but as a Mage, gameplay was always chill to boring and I never had to think a deeply about anything I did as I had to do with the Chanter.