Do quality of life improvements ruin your enjoyment?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tinytinker, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Polekn Augur

IMO these QoL changes in addition with many other changes made the game trivial and not fun. WoW group play is harder than current EQ TLP and WoW community is better.

I still hope they would be able to resurrect Alkabor code, even though it was PoP it was much closer to the original EQ than any TLP ever was in classic. I would play on that server.
  2. nostalgicfool Augur

Being a shaman i can tell you how much better it is if i m with a cleric, my heals are pathetic, i have like 3000h and heal for 450, a bit more with improve healing II focus.

Slow ? sure be most of the time mob we fight are red, and my resist debuf get resisted even more often than my slow, if there is chanter with tashan i can land it but then the chanter can slow too.

Honestly each time i am the single healer things are slow, slowing is usually a waste of mana since slow lands like 1/4 and i end up healing, rooting and maintaining essential bufs on.

If i m with a cleric everything is smooth, i can try to debuf, land some dots, do back up healing or ghetto cc.

Cleric healing power is so superior to anyone else that loosing their rez monopoly won't make them less desirable.

NB: if cleric could summon rez stones, that would really rock; make them temporary and no trade (cleric target the person who receive the rez stone), you may had a relatively expensive component. This would still imply intervention of the clerics, but they won t have to travel sometimes far to ressurect peoples.
  3. nostalgicfool Augur

Really ? We must group with random thugs and terrible players, and you explain me that i should get a penalty if others are terrible ?

I would agree with you if 1) solo xp was ok -- and group xp bonus is so large that even the worst group is usually better than soloing -- 2) we would group with people we know and trust.

There are smarter death penalty : typically xp debt that decay, eq2 had one which was real -- it is so little now that it does not count anymore -- You don't loose xp but loose future xp, and if you camp or do traskill it decays.

Anyway the current system is just wrong, it create resentment against people (this terri-kitty-beastie that wiped us), it prevent us to try things, it breaks group, it prevent groups to be formed.

I played back last millenium, but xp was very slow, we knew each others, nobody could by a PL by headshooting rangers, xp potions and the SC were not born ...
  4. Risiko Augur

^^^^ This exactly!

I've played on almost every TLP server SoE/DBG has created, and contrary to popular belief,
    it .. was ... not ... for ... nostalgia.

The reason I play on TLP servers for Everquest is because I 100% prefer the way Everquest plays in Classic, Kunark, Velious, Shadows of Luclin, Legacy of Ykesha, Planes of Power, Lost Dungeons of Norrath, Gates of Discord, and Omens of War.

To me, the game design of Everquest took a wrong turn after Omens of War. Over the years since then, the game has gotten less and less like what I enjoy, and more like World of Warcraft. If I wanted to play World of Warcraft, I would go play it.

So, I come play on TLP servers to play what I like to play.

I would give anything if DBG would make a NEW Everquest expansion that picks up after Planes of Power and arcs in to a separate timeline with the max level never going past 65. That would be a dream come true.
  5. grizzler90 New Member

I'm curious why people play Everquest which is an 18 year old game, especially TLP servers, if all they are going to due is cry about not having modern QoL changes and want to change class mechanics because they don't want to be inconvenienced. You have TONS of other MMO's that you can play that have all of these. GW2 is free to play after you purchase it and you can quick travel around the whole world and dying means nothing. Go play on one of those games instead of trying to change an 18 year old game. That is the reason I play here, because there are actually penalties in this game, which make it more enjoyable. It's not like you didn't know what you were getting into when you decided to play this over ALL of the other MMO's out there.

I don't think druids/shamans should ever get a rez ability. There's a reason why they don't have it in early games. And corpse runs become a TON easier once PoP comes out. Don't play until then if you can't handle the risk of early EQ. Or play on one of the other progressed TLP servers/live if you can't wait. It's not like you don't have options.
  6. Baldur Augur

Here's a novel idea...don't group with terrible players.

There needs to be a penalty associated with death or players will use it as a means to travel, like I did on age of conan all the time. People already use it as a means to travel on TLPs because /duel doesn't have an exp penalty.
  7. grizzler90 New Member

^ This. Get a guild and group with competent players. It's your own fault if you don't put in the effort to surround yourself with competent players that you enjoy grouping with. Wipes are part of the risk of grouping with pugs. If you don't want to die only join guild groups or solo. EQ is a social game after all.
  8. Drakkal Elder

^^^^^ 100% agree with this statement. Removing exp penalty would definitely push this game over the edge into faceroll, WoWville. We already have people that really dont think twice about dieing, because even in your mid 40's its nothing to get back the exp from a wipe. Take away the Exp penalty and just watch the zerge fest, as well as griefing increase by 10 fold.
  9. Rhodz Augur

Also the CR exaggerates the xp loss in particular on a raid say in Fear where going back in naked is really really dicey, or at least was when CR was a thing. Worst night of my playing time on EQ was ten or so and that hurrrrrt! Yeah can do without it as it took over 6 hours to clear that mess up.

Yeah I hear em now " oh but man you remember that so well it is what makes the game!" Yeah boze I remember my heart attack really well also, does not make it a good time.
  10. Polekn Augur

Why not ask for IDDQD mode? After all we are now married with kids, we do not have time to run back to exp spot, why does this game even let us die? It takes some skill to die nowadays with increased player power and other "quality of life" improvements, but it is besides the point. Let's demand that player can not run out of HP.
  11. Rhodz Augur

Hyperbole that attempts to raise a strawman.
    Transparent