Do quality of life improvements ruin your enjoyment?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tinytinker, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Leftharted Elder

I'm pro everything expect corpse runs, and the notion that druid/shaman should get rez.

I miss corpse runs.. They made dying much more detrimental and people learned to be much more careful back in the day.. I find alot of pugs on the TLP a bit foolhardy and reckless down deep in a dungeon compared to old live, and I believe this is why.

And, as a former cleric main back in 99-04, I'm against giving the other priests rez. This would largely make clerics obsolete for regular group play, because a shaman slowing coupled with superior mana regen via canni would be sufficient, and bonus of shaman buffs/dps...

Just my 2c.
    nostalgicfool likes this.
  2. nagash101 Augur

Only people i know that play EQ now are all over 35 years of age. I have shown the game to my younger kids and they laugh at it and tease me for even playing a game that looks so bad and is so old.
  3. nagash101 Augur

With them removing Corpse Runs you HAVE to have an EXP penalty when you die or there is not risk verse reward at all. Play smarter and take less risks if you don't like loosing EXP.
  4. HoodenShuklak Augur

Really not fair that all classes don't have feign death either. It's just leveling the playing field.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

lol, the entire Red99 server would not open a second pick if they all went to blackburrow. And that's even if you don't boot the 2-boxers!
  6. Strawberry Augur

They would literally improve "Quality of Life" for players.

Sitting for long periods is worse than smoking according to recent research. Whoever thinks running for half an hour to your corpse because your druid or shaman can't rezz you, is fun, is delusional.

It's not fun, it's not healthy, and it drives people away from games like EQ. It's especially unfun when you combine it with large travel times like in classic. It is also why a game like Pantheon will never work in 2017.

You need to provide people with fun engaging content that can be consumed in a healthy are responsible manner.
    snailish likes this.
  7. Rhodz Augur

And Darkfall would have sent you guys running in terror.
    See how silly that is?
    Your_Ad_Here and Reht like this.
  8. Rhodz Augur

QoL just makes life better, none of it bothers me and I would like to see more.
    snailish and Reht like this.
  9. TLP Addict Augur

Agreed, I'm not on the correct part of the "spectrum" to fit in on that server.
  10. Alandros Elder

Personally I don't mind these things. I did it the hard way back in the day I'm fine with an easier experience through the same content. I think the biggest key for TLP servers for me is that it attracts so many people to the old content again and in one place again progressing through levels (at a slower pace). That's close enough, I can live without some of the pain from back in the day.
    snailish likes this.
  11. snailish Augur

There's more changes to account for (I'll add a few)...

-shared bank and expanded shared bank is quality of life
    -armor dye isn't quality of life, but does alter the economy and look of the game, as well as having the unintended (maybe) consequence of less diverse itemization down the line since you don't hunt the different coloured version of a set of armor any more so they don't create it.
    -return home and origin are huge
    -so many UI and command changes

Sure, shaman/druid rez is a class change. So was the ancient decision to not upgrade necro mez or enchanter damage shield (as two examples). Look at the rollercoaster that is AA and the different way assassinate and headshot play out (as 2 examples). "This has never been changed" does not equal "this was done the right way" or "this is still working well".

Revamps are fine when done well, and smarter when era-locked. Live servers have the newest, latest most useful version. You want the nostalgia you play along the progression journey. Obviously there is some "restoring" they could do... and they certainly should revamp way more old content.

More progressive changes please.
  12. Duckforceone Lord of the Ducks

not at all. It improves my replaying of everquest.
  13. Agrippa Augur

I miss the hell out of my extended target window. They've had the good sense to keep some of the quality of life improvements: shared bank, parcels, maps, soul binders, etc. Things that do really improve the quality of the game, but in no way increase power. There are still a lot of these things that are tied to later expansions, though, where that should have never happened.
    Reht likes this.
  14. grizzler90 New Member

QoL improvements don't ruin my enjoyment. But asking for changes like shaman/druid rez and no xp loss on death change the feel of the game by greatly reducing risk which would. EQ is a game where you should be careful diving deep into a dangerous dungeon. Quit trying to make this game easy-mode. If you want easy go play on live or WoW. Being able to use a loot window doesn't make EQ easier, there's a big difference there.

I played EQ back in the day and then left for WoW when it came out. I played WoW for many years. I recently tried playing on a private WoW server and was bored very quickly on there. I then decided to give p99 a shot and got completely enveloped in the game, one because of nostalgia, but mostly because it was difficult and I actually had to be careful with what I did because there were extreme consequences to me not paying attention. The TLP servers already lose a very large majority of the risk compared to p99. Stop asking for more or this game will be just as boring as WoW with everyone zerging all content with no repercussions.
  15. Garmr Augur

Eh, the QoL things that are in are ok and nor really ruining anything IMO. Definitely make the game different than it truly was during the eras we are replaying but whatever, I'm just f'in off and enjoying the memories as I replay this game until the game I'm waiting on is launched.

I will add, because I haven't seen it mentioned yet, CLICKIES. FROM. BAGS. would be an absolutely amazing QoL addition right now and would have no game breaking repercussions at all.
  16. Garmr Augur

Eh, the QoL things that are in are ok and nor really ruining anything IMO. Definitely make the game different than it truly was during the eras we are replaying but whatever, I'm just f'in off and enjoying the memories as I replay this game until the game I'm waiting on is launched.

I will add, because I haven't seen it mentioned yet, CLICKIES. FROM. BAGS. would be an absolutely amazing QoL addition right now and would have no game breaking repercussions at all.
  17. smash Augur

Well you have click from bags
  18. Baldur Augur

No they don't ruin my enjoyment, if anything they add to it.

And for those that it does, they don't have to use maps, don't ever press the M button and bring your map up. You don't have to use advanced loot either, you can turn it off, except when you group with others. But anyone that wants to click click click mindlessly to loot is a masochist.

There are other QoL changes that aren't in right now. This post is the best one listing them all. I don't agree with him on every one, but it would be nice for most of them to be in from the start.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/quality-of-life-change-requests.235092/
  19. Zodiacrat0222 New Member

This game is 18 years old.
    If it weren't for the QoL improvements, I wouldn't be wasting my time playing this game. I like this game for what it is, but it's a far cry from modern game conveniences that draw in a more modern gaming market.
    I have far more things now that demand my attention and cannot spent unlimited amounts of time playing video games; so the improvements help to keep me in the game for the amount of time I can play it.
    I think this if true for most people now-a-days. Everquest is old, ugly, and has a terrible user interface which is required to get people invested into the game. You're just not going to draw in many new players with what EQ offers, so I think the QoL improvements are absolutely necessary.

Aside from zone revamps, which I think have gone terribly wrong for the most part, I agree with all the QoL improvements.
    As much as I like Druids and Shaman, I do not agree with giving them a full rez ability because with all their advantages, it would make clerics nearly abandoned.
    I would like to see a 50% rez ability for them at a round level 50. That would allow them to help groups recover from disaster by offering a consolation prize to not having a cleric.
    Sure people will want the full 96% rez from a cleric, but will be happy to take that 50% from the other priests if it means getting the group back in the game much faster.
    Agrippa likes this.
  20. Rhodz Augur

There is one misconception that stands out, that we play TLPs for nostalgia.
    This is incorrect beyond maybe the first month a person begins to play on a TLP. Here several TLPs into things nostalgia is pretty much done.
    People have nostalgia for the 1950s but if they had to live in it and realize polio and no heart by-passes was a thing and a thousand other improvements are missing that nostalgia goes away.
    What we want is the best game we can get, pure and simple. Do not make things more difficult than they are by serving dead nostalgia.
    Risiko and Agrippa like this.
  21. Alandros Elder

As some others have pointed out, UI is such a huge improvement. That might be my biggest like of this version of EQ vs the old one. I mean for it's time the UI was fine, but it's so much better now with the customization level. Really makes a difference.

With all that said I suspect there are some things (not what's been done, but maybe what could be done) that might just go too far and remove some of the flavor of a Progression server.

I suspect exp loss from death being less would be going too far. It's great to not have to run naked (or with backup gear) to your corpse, honestly that was just a bad mechanic that was worth trying. Though I think there still needs to be some reasonable penalty or consequence of death.

Being genuinely afraid in EQ is an important aspect to me. That lower level zones have higher level creatures that could kill you at any moment, that the world out there is genuinely dangerous... and of course that there's a consequence for dying.