Do not raise level cap

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tutankamen, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

I don’t understand the “you obsolete so many zones” comments. Do you really spend time in all the 110 zones available? I’m under the impression that most just do the partisan/merc/missions and kill any named for drops they need and then move on to whatever next zone where the same applies. Once all those are done you’d likely grind the best experience you can which is by far GMM at the moment. Are you really hanging out in burning woods (for example) or do you just want the option to, even though you’d never actually go there for any reason unless you still had those achievements/progression to finalize.

I’m under the impression also that most enjoy to be able to jump into the new expansion when it launches and explore the new zones, why on earth would you be hanging out in the old stuff when you have new stuff to explore? If things are poorly tuned I get it (dbg has done that now several expansions in a row), but then make friends with some people (and maybe create an expansion launch group) who could have a gear advantage to be able to power through it all.

PS; if you are a euro player on xegony, I’m your guy to hook up with as I live in Sweden and typically play on my timezone (minus our raids).
  2. Silver-Crow Augur

More seriously though, This has always been the inherent flaw with the level based game. The only way you can improve is add more levels, which instantly invalidates anything you've done before, and makes you start the grind to replace all your gear with new stuff.

It is just rinse and repeat however.

lvl 1 you were taking 2 mins to kill a rat with a rusty sword
    lvl 110 you were taking 2 mins to kill a demon rat with a sword of ubernessy_110
    lvl 115 I expect killing super demon rat takes 3 mins with sword of ubernessy_110, and 2 minutes with the sword of ubernessy_115.

The downside is you have to create some new zones to house the new rats.... which of late are just the old zones with the newer rats at home o_O

This type of issue can only be addressed by a total game redesign, which isn't going to happen in EQ.

e.g. XP goes into a pool, which you then apply to improve your class skills. Better gear then requires you to have certain skill pre-requisites.

i.e.
    spell_01 has catergories for potency, mana cost, range and possibly duration.
    you then spend your xp to increase the skill level of each of the categories for spell_01.

armor_plate skill could have categories for avoidance andAC vs slash vs pierce vs crush vs spell etc
    every level increases the benefit of AC/avoidance up to a cap.

basic_shiny_breastplate would then need lvl 1 vs all categories.
    shiny_shiny_breastplate could need need lvl 3 ac_slash 3, ac_pierce 2 to equip, which would have slightly better benefits than basic_shiny_breastplate.

Got a new expansion, introduce some new skills with requirements on old skills.
    HP/Spell Points etc don't really change that much, so you're still squishy underneath, but your still improving, and everywhere remains valid.

you get the idea. This would be a new game and not something that could be bolted on to EQ, well, not without some development....

Could call it AAA - Additional Alternate Advancement ;)
    Elyee likes this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I've grown bored of TBL & GMM, TBL is finished other than 1 raid and a handful of raid achievements and I've been messing around in TDS, TBM & EOK for a change. RoS I hate with a passion, it is my equivalent to many others Underfoot/Gates, but it is finished so I never have to go back there. :)

But I'm mainly concerned about AA upgrades as we didn't get most of them upgraded in TBL, so in the new expansion they will be in need of double upgrades + the usual level increase ones. Which I fear is going to be like EOK with far too many for a single expansion.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

In considering some of the items that need to be addressed (Necro dots probably topping the list), a level increase seems like a perfect way to address some of them. DoT consolidation may be easier to swallow with a level increase. Freeing up much needed debuff slots on raid targets.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I have to VEHEMENTLY disagree with you here. TBL was mostly brand new zones, brand new art, brand new NPCs. Give them SOME credit here, @Silver-Crow!
    Elyee and svann like this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Fingers crossed this is what they do, we desperatly need more Debuff/dot stlots on NPCs
  7. Whulfgar Augur

Do you even EQ ?

Do you even TBL ? ?

What "does which of late" even mean to you ? Are you excluding the most recent expansion ?

Your Logic does not logic .. do you know that ?
    Elyee and Yinla like this.
  8. Lilura Augur

Level cap increases are an excuse for a lack of creativity. TBL showed how devoid of creative thinking DBG has become with one raid after another where you balance DPS mobs down and have to move them occasionally, and players occasionally having to run away from the raid. One raid after another, same fight. It's a junk expansion and I want nothing to do with it and I sure don't want more of it. If the creative team there can't find a way to challenge ROI down to a casual guild that's their shortcoming and I'm not buying it.
  9. Duder Augur

[IMG]

This would make EQ garbage, I don't play eq because its like every single other game. I play it because its NOT like every other game, and many of those other games employ this exact format.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

There are literally hundreds of MMOs to choose from (thanks to Everquest). You're sure to find something you like if EverQuest is no longer fitting the bill for you.

The more I have delved into TBL, I feel there is a LOT of creativity that went into it. There are constraints, and one of those is time, another is resources, another is game engine...see where I'm going with this?

If you share some ideas for raids you think would be fun, that might help everyone!
    Duder likes this.
  11. Lilura Augur

Literally hundreds? Name 5, and Rift and WoW don't count.
  12. Duder Augur

13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Nice. Point made. Even if there aren't actually "hundreds". and I didn't count the whole list, there are still a LOT of choices there. EQ isn't, and shouldn't try to be, just like any other game. Being unique is good.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Why wouldnt Rift and Wow not count? :)
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Shhh. If you count them it weakens his argument even further.
    Diptera and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Yes, quite literally.
  17. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

LOL not sure if its sadly or happily ... I played at least one days worth of time on at least 30% of that list at one time or another.
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Why do people get so not excited when there's a level increase? Its happens every other year and when it does people get all mad about it.

Andarriel
  19. Natal Augur

GoD had nothing to do with level up/non level up. The mobs in the expansion were consistent with the next step up in power from hard mode LDoN. The problem was that most people were doing easy mode LDoN and consequently got sticker shock when faced with new content that did not have easy mode mobs at their level. Crews that only played hard mode LDoN generally had no major issues with GoD content.

GoD was a prime example of what happens when you DON'T have regular level increases, because content has to be made more difficult that previous expansions, resulting in a huge disparity in difficulty at the highest level.
  20. MysticOne Augur

Can a 105 Cleric merc heal a 115 Tank merc? No level increase please.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.