Fixed DirectX 11 : the stuttering makes the game unplayable

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Feochadan the Savior, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Got it, the quote should read...
    LaunchPad > Advanced Tools > Game Configuration > Video Card > Model Selection > Engine Settings ... has a checkbox for "Texture Caching" which needs to be removed if it is obsolete.
    (For anyone reading : I'm not saying uncheck this, as the comment stats " IF IT IS obsolete '')
    Thanks! I wasn't sure what he was talking about.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Darkpaw needs to remove the option from the window if it does nothing.
    Windance, Jack, Nennius and 1 other person like this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

Except the current Devs have no idea that ticking that box does 3 other undocumented changes behind the scenes.
    mercury890 likes this.
  4. Amex111 Journeyman

such as? truly curious.
    mercury890 likes this.
  5. Metanis Bad Company

I was being sarcastic and pointing out that there is frequently no upside for a Dev to mess with old stuff because of the law of unintended consequences. I don't actually know what the tick mark for Texture Caching manipulates in code or INI file.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

EQ game code is a giant Jenga tower. Pull out the wrong piece...it all comes tumbling down.
    mercury890, Nennius and CatsPaws like this.
  7. Lodestar The Undefeated

One other recommended logic to force in memory.ini, for resampling to not occur that I failed to post in my earlier testing (page 10) is to set both of the below variables to be identical (0 = best texture quality):
    • MaxTextureQuality=0
    • MinTextureQuality=0
    I'm not sure if this will be in Cairbrae's/Daybreak's new memory.ini settings, but I will be forcing these two flags regardless based on favorable results in hitching for higher end systems.

This forces only high-quality textures to load in, rather than low, medium, and high quality textures. Therefore it forces memory churn to stop as it pertains to up/downscaling, because textures load only once rather than continuously resampling (increasing/decreasing quality).

So if you're running a higher end system, the below are solid memory.ini settings that should significantly improve your stuttering/hitching. It also overcomes slower upscaling of bitmaps (setting =10 or less), because it pulls in max quality textures instantly due to min/max texture quality both being forced to 0 (max). If you set bitmaps to 10 or less, without also setting min/max texture quality to 0, then you will notice that high-quality textures of some models (new gargoyles, mounts, etc.) take a significant amount of time to load.

TextureLoadsPerFrame=1
    AnimationLoadsPerFrame=1
    BitmapsPerFrame=10
    DownsamplesPerFrame=1
    DownsampleDistance1=300.0f
    DownsampleDistance2=600.0f
    UpsamplesPerFrame=1
    UpsampleDistance=150.0f
    TimeoutNearDistance=150.0f
    TimeoutNearTime=60000
    TimeoutFarDistance=1200.0f
    TimeoutFarTime=10000
    MaxTextureQuality=0
    MinTextureQuality=0
    TextureDistance1=250
    TextureDistance2=500
    MaxHighQualityTextureMem=1000
    DownsampleTextureMem=1000

Reference to original test results and recommendations: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ring-makes-the-game-unplayable.295587/page-10
    Windance, Randel Flag and Metanis like this.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This is known as Chesterton's fence. It does not mean to never change anything. It means to understand what you are changing before you do so.
    Sprooce, mercury890, Scila and 2 others like this.
  9. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

I think they need to revert and leave well enough alone before they loose all their paying customers, their job and revenues flatline.... and then the company is sold off..(Echos of Planetside)
  10. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Anacletus likes this.
  11. Peter_The_great Elder

Buuuuump this thread up!

Are we gonna see a smoooooooth game play after this patch day?! Nope.

STOP GIVING EM MONEY TILL THEY FIX THE STUTTERING!
    mercury890 likes this.
  12. Peter_The_great Elder

How do I keep the settings later? Game reset the ini to default.

So all those tips is sugarpills..

Give real benchmarks or its just BS.
  13. MachoSod Lorekeeper

Do we need to change anything back after today's patch?
    mercury890 likes this.
  14. Cairbrae Developer

If you want to keep your own settings, no.
    If you want to use the updated Resources\Memory.ini, then yes you need to change eqclient.ini in one of two ways.

1. Change the variable to use the updated default file, "MemoryIni=Resources\Memory.ini"
    2. Or, delete the variable line "MemoryIni=Resources\Memory512.ini", to use the default file.
  15. MachoSod Lorekeeper

Great! Thank you for the quick response.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Followed this advice. The game runs even better than it did with the Memory512.ini changes I had in place.

Very, very nice work Caribrae.
    Fanra and Cairbrae like this.
  17. Myysterio Lorekeeper

Devs do test things. Thats what the TEST server is about. There is a near infinite number of computers, situations, and other random crap that can happen and only a extremely finite number of people to test the application. There are going to be problems. Its been that way since day -3 of Eq development. Just chill. If you're not used to it by now, I am 100% certain you're playing the wrong game for you.
  18. Dewhead Journeyman

After patch, still have hitching when mobs spawn into the world. Adjusted eqclient to use the default memory.ini and tested (Memory Mode set to "Most memory usage"). - 200ms hitch when any mobs spawn, tested in FM at Sarnak forts.
    Adjusted again to use Cairbrae's and then Lodestar's recommended ini settings. - 200ms hitch when any mobs spawn, tested in FM at Sarnak forts.
    CPU: i9-10850K
    GPU: RTX 3080
  19. Lodestar The Undefeated

The only BS is ignoring and not following Cairbrae's instructions in this thread for using a custom memory.ini setup. An entire week's worth of testing is linked in your own response calling this BS. Spend twenty minutes reading someone else's week's worth of quantitative work to enlighten yourself before posting nonsense. Or, you could just use the new memory.ini changes Cairbrae put in from today's patch.

Hey good news, Cairbrae posted the instructions twice now! So if you forgot or didn't read it the first time, you get a second chance to read the instructions a second time.
  20. Lodestar The Undefeated

Accurate. Today's patch did not fix NPC load-in hitching. Memory.ini settings are not going to fix the NPC spawn-in hitching. Cairbrae is aware of it. Per the below threads, this is still an issue. This is a significant issue since NPCs and PCs loading in (and other textures) is a foundational function of the game occurring continuously, always, forever, infinitely.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/short-freezes-on-mob-spawn-dx11.296040/

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...c-load-ins-multi-game-instance-zoning.296068/
    Windance and Cairbrae like this.