Fixed DirectX 11 : the stuttering makes the game unplayable

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Feochadan the Savior, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Feochadan the Savior Lorekeeper

My PC : i9-13900kf / 32Gb memory / nVidia 4090 / Windows 11 I play every current game at Ultra setting.
    It was perfectly smoot with 3 (and probably more) characters boxed before the patch..
    Now every split second the animation stops when I am moving. It did not improve since the early stages of beta? is not ready for release, and requires an emergency patch.
    Outside, Embalm, Ursus and 56 others like this.
  2. Oberan Elder

Do you by chance have Resizable Bar (rebar) enabled? Its known to cause stuttering in games
    ChiiChii likes this.
  3. Lodestar The Undefeated

Your bug is confirmed OP. I have posted multiple times in Beta/Test, and nothing was done to improve the hitching as result of the DX11 rollout. Details follow (T700 PCIE 5.0, RTX 4090, 7950X @ 5.9ghz):
    • Significant increase in hitching of real-time texture loading across the board. This was reported extensively and multiple times but not improved.
    • Feedback on Anti-aliasing not working was confirmed by devs on Beta, but then ignored and pushed anyways.
    • Drop in framerate performance: Bristlebane lagpile has dropped from ~30fps to ~17fps. The game is only becoming more unplayable with decreased FPS and increased hitching.
    • RTX 4090 no longer boosts from base clock speed to max clock speed under DX11. Given the FPS decreases, this needs to be understood/researched to see if it correlates.
  4. Quadpanda New Member

Same for me fps is horrible, i have a powerfull pc 5800x 3d and 6800xt 32gig of B-die
    At bank in PoK im getting 5 fps! before the patch was hitting 70 plus. You Guys did somthing realy Bad...

Please look into it ASAP
    mercury890, Straahdx, kevvlar and 5 others like this.
  5. Inictus Elder

Same here. It's giving me a major headache trying to play now. Its just unplayable.
  6. Koota_ New Member

i9-12900k
    3080 TI
    32GB RAM

Pre patch: Pegged at 144 FPS in common areas (ie: Outside main bank in PoK where 50 players-ish might gather.)

Post patch: Pegged at 12 FPS in the same area in PoK with the same amount of players.
    mercury890, Formula and ChiiChii like this.
  7. Forbick Journeyman

Same issue here, also Everquest is now using 11 percent of my CPU when before it was like 2 to 4%. The memory usage and power usage have also significantly increased... What in the world did they do to my game??
    kevvlar, Formula, ChiiChii and 5 others like this.
  8. Xiaoyu Journeyman

7950X3D
    64gb Ram

running in 2k on 165hz

boxing a few, all my characters yeet themselves into oblivion on autofollow the frame rate is so horrible.

this is atrocious
  9. MiataDriver Augur

Yep, logged in to find my screen flicking horribly every time I zone, or log into the world from character select. I find that my FPS is way down, and that I lose altitude far faster while moving with levitation on. I really wish DBG would stop pushing this kind of absolute crap on the live players even after they have been told about the problems. I was quite happy with my old DirectX performance in EQ, now this is just utter trash.
  10. Lil_cal New Member

Are any of you using isb? Because I was experiencing some similar issues with it earlier and loaded up one account without it. With just the one account and no isb, there wasn't any issues. No flickering, nor fps issues. Also, change your fps settings in game and in isb. That helped tremendously also.
    ChiiChii likes this.
  11. MiataDriver Augur

I am using ISB, and yes, loading the game without ISB fixed most of the issues, but, playing without ISB sucks even when not boxing as I often tab out and back to the game, and very much do not want to play in windowed mode.
    Formula and ChiiChii like this.
  12. Toukan Augur

Y'all getting longer (much noticeably longer) zone times to add to the fun also ?
    Joules_Bianchi, kevvlar, Shay and 5 others like this.
  13. MiataDriver Augur

Digging around the [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] forums, and it was suggested to try removing the EQ framerate limit within EQ, and set the framerate limit in [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] to 140 for the foreground, that worked like a charm on the major lagging and dropping while levitating issue. The game is once again quite playable, unless I get a seizure from the flickering every time I zone...
    ChiiChii likes this.
  14. Snoogadooch Journeyman

Game feels bad. Dropping frames and adding stutter on a 25 year old game is nuts. Funny thing is, my most powerful gaming PC (my driver when boxing) feels the worst of all. No amount of adjusting settings helped. I turned all settings down, clipping down, spell effects off. Def not a personal hardware or software issue as I have multiple PCs for comparison.

Too bad its not like they can add a check box to disable like they did with the New UI engine that is also terrible.

Feels sluggish and noticeably less responsive, which is the last thing this game needs. Potential new customers that might already be turned off by overall "dated" look of the game probably wont tough it out if its also janky and unresponsive with the controls.
    mercury890, kevvlar, Formula and 2 others like this.
  15. Tempr33 New Member

I'm using a NVDIA GeForce RTX 3080 video card. I can no longer use full screen because the game becomes unplayable. Three boxing is no longer doable. I have to use Ultravision all of the time now just to see 20 feet in front of me because everywhere else I look is 100% black. Please put the game back to what it was prior to the recent update so we can once again play the game.
  16. Ashigaru Augur

Pretty much unplayable in current content for me due to the above-mentioned issues
    mercury890, kevvlar, Xyza and 2 others like this.
  17. Angahran Augur

How about fixing the migraine inducing flickering anytime you interact with the UI?
  18. Shea Lorekeeper

Video tearing/jitter when moving, and also in Overseer while scrolling is horrible.
    Full disclosure, it looks like it mainly is an issue when running in full screen vs. windowed mode but I play in full screen on all of my systems. Not everyone has a bunch of 40" 4k monitors laying around.

Also granted, I'm seeing the jitter and missing textures/all black objects on PC's that are:
    i5-4590T CPU's with 8gb ram
    intel HD 4600 integrated video

They are running win10 fully patched and up to date. Not the beefiest gaming PC's but they were able to handle an instance of EQ with no issues whatsoever prior to the DX11 change.

EDIT: Also, not using ISB or anything other than EQ.
    ChiiChii and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  19. Koota_ New Member

Not using ISB.
    ChiiChii likes this.
  20. Rrowzing Journeyman

Onboard Intel Xe graphics engine. Pre-patch worked perfectly and smoothly. Post patch, completely unplayable. Maybe 1 frame per 2 seconds update rate...

UPDATED CLARIFICATION:
    I monitored the GPU utilization, and it caps around 12%, and video memory is around 62%.
    I don't get stuttering per-se, more of complete lockup as the system waits for something to load? I have hidden all players and pets. If I stare at a wall I can access inventory but any movement at all causes lockups.
    mercury890, Formula and ChiiChii like this.