DBG afraid to compete with P99?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by dmccollum, Feb 14, 2019.

1. dmccollum Elder

I don't understand why DBG didn't release a classic TLP server for the 20 year anniversary. Having a server that's Velious locked without all the GMs and stupid rules of private servers, would be a huge success in my opinion. I know a lot of players on P99 only tolerate playing there because there's no legit option for a Velious locked TLP.
    Ltldogg likes this.
  2. Templeton Augur

To compete with P99 they would have to do a no krono server.

They will never do that because they are addicted to that krono whale cash and need it to fund other bad projects outside of EQ
  3. Stagentti Augur

Not enough people want that.

Sorry let me clarify: not enough people WILLING TO PAY MONEY want that.

P99 folks also love the classic feel without QOL stuff TLPs have
  4. dmccollum Elder

Kronos in a Velious locked server is fine. There's no way to truly stop gold sellers without it. I'd rather have Kronos than 200 Chinese sellers spamming chat.
  5. dmccollum Elder

What data other than your opinion do you have to support this claim?
  6. Stagentti Augur

Posts people have made on forums? Posts people make on Reddit over the years? Knowing people on p99?

From all of that what I've seen is that they 1) don't want to pay $15/month and/or 2) don't want to be locked into Truebox and/or 3) hate Krono and/or 4) want the classic feel without all the quality of live improvements that have been made, making it nothing like actual original Classic.

What data other than your opinion do you have to support your claim?

The difference between us is that yours requires a huge financial risk by DBG.
  7. pimenttoncheese Elder

Why would they make a p99 clone to compete with p99, when they have announced their support for p99 in the past?
  8. Templeton Augur

The point isn't to completely stop plat sellers, the point is to minimise the intrusion of RMT to the average player. Yes, some will always cheat, but P99 players don't enjoy the degree which RMT dictates the server and how people act on the server, so they play on a server where it is as prevalent.

P99 doesn't have 200 chinese spammers, and it as a server is higher pop than any live one.

The myth that plat sales can't be minimised and controlled to a large extent is a myth pushed and supported by those that make RL cash off RMT.
  9. Templeton Augur

Because that's 1600 (on average) concurrent potential players that they could convert, with the right server model.

But, all they can see is krono., so0o0o0o...
  10. Ceffener Augur

Ignore Krono/plat sellers/boxing/whatever

They don’t want to spend the development time to recreate classic servers, so instead of slamming the P99 people with a lawsuit and then borrowing most their code, they gave P99 their blessing.

Shouldn’t this be seen as a good thing?
  11. code-zero Augur

You can prove this, how?
  12. Tankz Lorekeeper

But its not? P99 doesn't charge their players am I right? So.. I mean, I'm a pretty good salesman in my RL, but I'm not sure I've ever managed to convince someone who was paying uhmm, nothing... to start paying uhhhh, something...

That just doesn't make sense.. At all.. Ever ...
  13. Templeton Augur

Tell me, which live server has an average of 1600-2000 concurrent players?
  14. Risiko Augur

I don't think they care to compete with p99. I'm not sure that competing directly with p99 would gain them much considering that some populous of p99 players play there simply because it is free. They wouldn't choose to play on DBG servers if it meant they had to pay a monthly fee. Some would, but not all.

I think a more profitable venture for DBG to take if they wanted to make alternate Everquest servers would be to do like some of the other more adventurous EQemu servers have done, and create alternate universes using the Everquest assets.

There are some truly cool EQemu servers out there with fun alternate worlds. It's all the same assets obviously because it is Everquest after all, but the available zones, zone connections, and content is different. The classes, spells, and equipment is heavily modified because it's just data on the server after all which leads to some interesting combinations.

For example, I saw a server just the other day where the shadow knight cast a spell that created a small portal near him, and ever so many seconds another pet would spawn from it and attack his target. The person made the server used a portal asset from Rain of Fear I think, made a new spell that spawns it, and then spawns temporary pets from it. It was really cool.

I've been messing around with creating a server for fun where you only have one class to choose from and you get your weapon at level 1 that you use through out the whole game. Then you get augments to put in the weapon from completing quests. Those augments add things like healing, mezzes, dots, DD, snares, roots, etc based on the quest line the reward is from. The starting weapon has like 3 aug slots, so you can mix and match to create the style of play you want. It's fun to experiment with.

The point is, DBG owns the assets, and do anything they want with them. They could be creating very unique Everquest worlds as specialized servers. If one fan can do this in their spare time with out official development tools, than surely an intern at DBG with the actual design/development tools could do it.
  15. Ceffener Augur

FV
  16. Thexian Journeyman

They shouldn't use P99, but revive or utilize The Irreverent Server's strategy and implementation. That would hands down be perfect.
  17. Templeton Augur

yes, P99 is free, but talk to P99 players (and I have, extensively, because the DT in fights is real there), and the vast majority would be more than happy to pay to support the live game, if the live game gave them what they wanted. They want to sub, but they can't buy a service that doesn't exist.

They mainly need 2 things though; no krono, and no boxing.
  18. Templeton Augur

prove that? Seeing as we are playing Code's game.

Plus, P99's numbers are from single characters, not boxed accounts, so player count is ofc higher than FVs.
  19. Ceffener Augur

Over 800 in general all the time and if 800 are willing to sit through that cesspool at least double are not.

And the 300 in bazaar.
  20. Tankz Lorekeeper

Good job snipping the part of my post where I talked about how selling something to someone who is already getting that service for free would be a mundane task and pointless to attempt..

GG cap..

Done with this troll.. Sorry I fed him