Current Ranger advice

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by monk12, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Cstoner187 Elder

You can't use silent shot while in combat. Please don't tell me you are fading, turning off auto attack, hitting silent shot, then going back to attacking...:eek:
  2. Thraine Augur

The main reason i have it 1st is so when your not in combat itll fire .. 200-300k or whatever the dmg is makes it worth having in that top slot. when your in combat it just gets passed by (assuming your using a nuke spamkey)

but to answer your question, during farm when theres nothing to do, no i dont fade and use silent shot ... but when the new expac happens you better bet im gonna squeeze every drop out of that lemon even if it means fading for silent shot :)
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I really wish agro on Raid bosses of late wasn't so much set to the mob sees you and you're instantly on the hatelist :( Less so for Silent Arrow and more for triggering endurance regen discs.
  4. monk12 Journeyman

Can you guys talk a little bit more about burns, I know you did in the posted thread Fin.

But I was wondering which AA affect stacks with which, or which is the most useful with the others. All melee affects impact archery? So we should really only be using pureshot, as far as discs go?

What if I'm stuck in melee range soloing and I'd still like to burn?
  5. Szilent Augur

nearly all the burns don't care whether you're meleeing or shooting.

Even in melee, Pureshot multiplies the impact of Anticipated-Dicho-Focused (and then rejuv-3x again) (which are doubled by Scarlet Cheetah twins, too), so if you felt like "losing" your Wildstalker's button…
    Thraine likes this.
  6. Fintank Augur

All of the ranger abilities stack in some fashion or another with the exception of Group Guardian of the Forest and self Guardian of the Forest. Even Empowered Blades stacks with Wildstalker's Discipline at the moment (Turoq told me this 5 minutes ago, parsed it and tis correct!).

Yes, all melee affects work with Archery with the exception of additive procs like Lion's Roar, Bard Songs etc. If you're having to face tank and are unable to do ranged DPS than using Wildstalker's Disc is going to do you more good. If you just need a straight up Burst burn than using Pureshot is better with Forceful. In the rare instance where you are afk or medding a lot during burn duration I can see Pureshot being overall better but as far as face tanking/DPSing constantly through the duration of your disc Wildstalker's will be better.

As far as melee splitting goes with AA's, you're going to want to split up Self Guardian of the Forest, Group Guardian of the Forest and Outrider's Accuracy. The main benefit we receive from these is the Hit Damage mod which is a non stacking benefit. For a giant burn where sustained is not important you can combine Accuracy and Guardian together for the added benefits of min hit and chance to hit mods. (Accuracy is a higher mod than Attack in reference to chance to hit mods)

My combos I do once main burn is done and synced are generally a melee and spell combination. Epic 2.0 on CD basically.

Melee:
    Guardian of the Forest + Outrider's Attack (Same timer, should always be paired)
    Outrider's Accuracy ---> once Guardian of the Forest fades
    Group Guardian of the Forest -----> once Accuracy fades

Spell:
    Auspice of the Hunter + Third Spire of the Pathfinders + Imbued Ferocity (Imbued will pop 30s after Third Spire and sync with the duration left for full benefits when sustaining, of course till you've been at it for a while)
  7. Thraine Augur

I would take this advice with a grain of salt.

Wildstalkers is pretty much useless unless your using a slower 2hd weapon like the new OT hammer .. if your meleeing, just use Empowered, Pureshot and keep the nukes flowing, your dps will be just fine.
  8. Eggolas Augur

My 110 Ranger has 16k+ AAs, with all of the archery AAs maxed. If I understand your statement correctly, the AAs that target melee damage also affect Archery damage. Correct? If so, which ones would you recommend next?

Thanks.
  9. Derka Power Ranger

Max out the ADPS AAs that you use frequently. Auspice, third spire, gotf, ggotf, out attack and out accuracy. Also work on your outrider's synergy since that is passive DPS gains basically.
  10. Eggolas Augur

Burst of Power -- that works on archery as well? What order would be best given that I probably add around 25 AAs per day for the character.
  11. Derka Power Ranger

Burst of power is melee only since you don't triple attack or flurry archery. If you raid or intend to soon I would max Auspices and MGB. If you group a lot especially with melee types I would max auspice, third spire (unless you group with zerker often) then group guardian. If you solo lesson burns then go guardian, group guardian, auspice, third, cheetah, out attack.
  12. Fintank Augur

The AAs that target melee damage are specific only to that, they will not affect your Archery damage. I'm sorry if there was some confusion, above we were just talking about our burn/CD modifiers that are used.

As Derka said I'd focus on maxing out your Burn AA's first, then roll into mana regen and your focus tab.
  13. Eggolas Augur

Thank you for clarifying that matter. I am still somewhat confused about something related to the melee damage cap and headshot and why having something that affects melee affects headshot. In the patch notes for July 18th:

Ranger - Reduced the base damage of all ranks of Headshot and increased the maximum melee damage cap from 750k to 6m. This should result in critical Headshot attacks dealing significantly more damage than before.

14. roth Augur

Eggolas, to explain that, you need to understand something : archery and melee use the same engine. Whenever you swing your melee weapon, the game rolls to see how many times you attack that round, whether the attacks are actively avoided or miss, and assuming the attacks are not, how much damage you do. Determining how much damage you do is based primarily upon the total Weapon Damage listed on your weapon, which factors in any augs attached, if applicable.

Archery is pretty much the same thing. The game will do a Double Attack check (based on Trick Shot AA’s), determine if the attack was actively avoided or a miss, and then determine how much damage was done, again based upon the total Weapon Damage, though for archery it also adds the Damage on the arrow to the Damage listed on the bow.

That said, there are differences between the two. Its almost impossible to demonstrate now (and things *may* have changed, though I’m unaware of any announcement of it) due to various things adding bonus damage to each hit but Archery’s “Damage Table” is approximately HALF that of melee’s. That is, strip away ALL of the various things adding additional damage to archery, and to melee, and an archery hit with a Bow+Aug+Arrow Damage of X will be about half that of a melee hit with Weapon+Aug damage of that same X. Also, different things affect archery damage than affect melee damage - namely, Str/HStr affect melee and Dex/HDex affect ranged.

Damage Caps are funky things. There seem to be two types : Weapon Damage cap, and hit damage cap. Weapon Damage Cap is usually encountered by giving a character under level 20 a high damage weapon - a 36 40 2hs for example. Hit damage cap is only going to be hit by the *really* big hits. Basically, it puts a ceiling on how high you can go with the damage calculation. More accurately, it puts a ceiling on how high you can go at a certain point in the damage calculation, with add-ones (such as HStr, HDex, Damage Bonus, etc.) being applied afterwards.

Headshot and Assassinate were running afoul of the Hit Damage cap. They lowered the base damage being done (compare the numbers on raidloot.com) but increased the Hit damage cap, allowing things that were being subjected to it to go up.

In another thread someone mentioned Slay Undead. I honestly do not know how SU works, nor how it fits in with all of this. Based on what was said in that other thread, SU does not use the same portion of code as Headshot/Assassinate and as such did not have its damage cap increased. Decapitate, functioning very differently from Headshot and Assassinate, similarly saw no increase in damage. They raised the ceiling on a specific variable, from 750k to 6m.
    Derka likes this.
  15. Derka Power Ranger

This is interesting, was damage on stationary targets versus moving considered on that table?
  16. Brohg Augur

no, that's just another doubling that ranger archery sometimes gets
  17. roth Augur

Factor that OUT. That is a bonus, that increases the damage done by rangers over a certain level against stationary, non-rooted mobs. Factor it ,and Archery Mastery, and everything else out. Factor out everything that increases melee. The archery damage table is, or at least was, half that of melee.

I have never tested but I’d not be surprised if throwing uses the same table as archery.
  18. Razorfall Augur

Which belt focus works better: Boon of the Seeress or Threads of Potential?
  19. roth Augur

Rangers are multi-faceted enough that there are circumstances that call for one belt over another. Tanking? Use the slow-proc belt.

As far as these two, Seeress or Potential? Depends on the circumstances.

Given the ranger toolkit, Potential is really going ot be bumping all the Summer’s casts, both the hard casts and the ones that come from Dichotomic,.
    Seeress, on the other hand, is going to be bumping nuke procs. Procs, outside of IF, aren’t very reliable.

So, it really depends on how much you are nuking. If you’re nuking like mad (necessary to maximize DPS), then Potential is better. If you’re not nuking at all, then Seeress will at least add a little something when your weapon procs its nuke.
  20. Yimin Augur

Thank you for taking the time to explain this !

YiMin