Current best method for dual boxing on one computer

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Adeus, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Adeus Journeyman

Hi,

Would anyone be able to share the best method for dual boxing on one computer to have the best experience that they’ve found, ie;
    • Run multiple accounts/instances from one directory?
    • Run multiple accounts/instances from multiple copies of the EQ directory?
    • Other?

Thanks!
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I've never run with multiple EQ directories. And I've had no issues running up to 3 instances of EQ. I also find it easier to manage all the logs and UI setup files with them all being in one directory.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The only thing I do different is to run 3 icons on my desktop. They all go to the same directory so its just a visual thing for me. I am also a huge fan of each account I am using showing at the bottom of my tool bar on the windows screen in a certain order so I can easily click it there or use the minimize button while in game. They show up based on log in order. This just makes it easier for me to multi task as I do use way too many accounts at once. Others prefer game assistance software which to me is like using training wheels (cringes at the incoming flames:eek:)
  4. fransisco Augur

If they all run from the same directory, all your settings carry over - which can be annoying.
    For example, if you put key binds on account #1 and log out. Then log in both accounts, that key binding is now in effect for both accounts.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  5. Sissruukk Rogue One

I run 3 separate accounts, so I have them set up in three separate directories. I don't have any performance issues or anything. I also make sure to configure my eqclient.ini files in each directory to include cpu affinity as noted in Fanra's Guide.
    Hiladdar, Metanis and Zhaunil_AB like this.
  6. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I would say yes, run from different directories - for the very reason given above.
    Only thing i do differently is that i assign each account it's own core.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  7. segap Augur

Single directory requires you have identical keybindings on all characters. Multiple directories lets you have unique keybindings.

If using multiple directories, I recommend creating junctions in each install to have common log, map and ui (if you use a custom skin) locations. Windows 7 and newer include the mklink utility to create them. Older versions of Windows require you download a tool from Sysinternals (now owned by Microsoft).
  8. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I S B o x e r

Manages your client windows. Manages your keybinds and settings (from one directory). And it's legit.
    Metanis likes this.
  9. Caell Augur

You can save time if you know your files are up to date, by skipping the patcher. Create shortcuts with the below on the "Target" line, change username to your account name.
    C:\Games\DBG\EverQuest\eqgame.exe patchme /login:username
  10. Tyche Elder

I still use wineq2. While some of the features eq eventually added, it's still great for the profiles. Use one directory and launch your accounts with it and no .ini file overwrites. Just remember to use the official launcher on patch days to update things.
    Metanis likes this.
  11. Orienn TreeHugger

I run 3 accounts and just alt tab like a boss
  12. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

And you may well be the fastest man on foot. But this race allows cars, if you choose to use them.
    Tatanka likes this.
  13. Gnomeland Augur

I laugh at box software services that charge you by the year. You don't need a six box to get through group content, people, and for a two box, a window is more than enough.
  14. Schadenfreude Augur

Beep, beep. For only $50 a year you too could have this awesome ride.

[IMG]
  15. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I'm glad you got a good laugh :)

The OP asked for "Current best method for dual boxing on one computer". He didn't ask for the cheapest and he didn't ask for the bare minimum. I stand by my original answer :)
    Metanis, Aurastrider and code-zero like this.
  16. Endless Augur

Some people laugh at you paying anything monthly to play a video game. Some people laugh at you for just playing a video game.

It's nice you standards though and can laugh at people you deem below your standards. Just realize, someone with higher standards is laughing at you. For the same stupid reasons.
    Metanis likes this.
  17. Strawberry Augur

What's funnier is that people voluntarily buy this software made by hackers.

Not only are they giving their credit card info to hackers, they are putting software that probably contains spyware on their PC.

It's always the same shady characters in guilds using software who end up making these "They hacked my account and stole my credit card" threads. No kidding sherlock.
  18. Treiln Augur

Thus is exactly how I do it as well
    CatsPaws likes this.
  19. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Don that tinfoil hat! Clues are available in Aisle 4 if you're so inclined.
    Tatanka likes this.
  20. Ratbo Peep Augur

Ditto. In group that is. In raid I can only 2-box with that method.