Compiling Progression Server Ideas

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xanadas, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Tudadar Augur

Well it seemed like u meant no xp reduction. Fippy/vulak was a starting point imo with a exp reduction. While I did like the reduction for solo people it didnt really effect group xp much at all with people getting a level a hour in average dungeon xp groups until 40ish.
  2. Throndor Augur

^^
  3. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

I do agree Trevalon that its unlikely daybrake will do teird servers like I suggested in an earlier post in this thread. I also however think its the only option that will cater to all party's as well as creating an avenue for new players. I think realisticly for the type of game play you are seeking they need to have a server that will stop at some point early in progression, otherwise the life span of the server will just be too long.
  4. Trevalon Augur

To be honest my favorite idea is to have 2 servers start at classic and go with longer unlocks and when it gets to PoP, one server continues to GoD and one server stays at PoP for an "extended" time (6 months or so) and then the Pop server just starts over from the start and you can transfer your 65's to the second server.

But I find that unlikely as well. I suspect we will get exactly the same as Fippy/Vulak with some very minor changes....

And frankly, that is perfectly ok with me - I will take ANYTHING similar to Vulak/Fippy cause they were and are amazing servers (Better than Combine/Sleeper by a mile imo). We can discuss what we want or don't want all day long, but as long as they give us some sort of progression servers I think we can all agree that is great.
  5. Hendar Augur

I really don't see the problem with multiple "servers". The cost of hardware has come down a lot over the years, and I expect Daybreak has reasonably current stuff. (I just purchased two servers for work, either of which would probably do the job). I'm guessing the real cost is the software, which doesn't scale: 5 copies costs the same as 1 copy to create. I don't think maintenance is going to be much different than if everyone was on the same box. The same players will hit the same bugs.

The tiered approach would greatly reduce some of the problems we have had in the past. Being able to progress at your own pace is a good thing. Otherwise the minute something new opens up, existing zones will empty. Contested content was something I associate with guilds on the leading edge of the leveling curve. That high level char locking down Phinny will be doing so on a different server from the ones where people are getting their epics.
  6. Throndor Augur

pretty sure we will see a lot more no-votes on expansion unlocks at certain points this time around if you just roll the timelocked progression recipe out again.
  7. Trevalon Augur

Votes need to go away. They were absolutely terrible and did nothing but alienate the population further. When guilds pay other guilds for their votes then you know the system is broken.

Not to mention the system just didn't work most of the time anyway. Votes = bad, just release a time schedule and go with that.
    Punchu likes this.
  8. Alandros Elder

You are missing part of the point, what you are saying would suggest that the idea breaks servers off by raiders, grouper, boxers etc... and hence destroy the community. That has nothing to do with the idea. All the groups you mention exist at every level and content bracket...

Let's say 1 year into this server... half the population is now beyond Velious content and half is at or below it.

In this scheme they would be on different servers players on Launch-Velious and let's say Luclin-LDoN (the divide could be chosen differently of course).

In Launch-Velious there would be only players doing that tier of content, they would not be split by same level areas in Luclin, or LDoN, etc. Everyone would be 1-60 and the player base would be narrowed down to much lower content.

On top of that the economy would be preserved at that era, items and tradeskills that would be voided beyond Velious (as is common over and over in EQ eras) would still be completely valid. Potentially people starting new characters 1 year after the progressions launch would still get a *huge* value doing the content and gathering or crafting the items and having an economy that still value such things... where if the progression were normal the Launch-Velious economy would be obliterated by the new content and items which makes the old content and tradeskills a lot less purposeful. Most of the fun of old EQ wasn't doing the content it was doing it when *other* people were doing it, when the items and economy surrounding it were still valid.

This would allow those wanting to progress beyond this content to move to the next server and get the new items, etc... People on that server would be much more concentrated at the new content as well (or they would've stayed behind).

This *does not* split the player base by raider, grouper, or soloer... it only splits them by the content they want to experience (and somewhat by level when that content is level specific)

This *could* accomplish a few things:
    1) Allow new players to *always* enter the progression experience, even if they missed the server launch. This also includes people creating new characters so they can re-experience that progression. I think this would ensure a healthy population at the lower end as people want to try it out but missed the original launch or those who want to restart it. Ideally you could keep at least 1 character on each tier of progression (maybe more *shrug*) since I could definitely imagine myself starting a fresh character of a different class + race to re-experience the progression

2) Preserves the economy at each era. I could start a new char on tier 1 and still make banded armor, it might actually still be beneficial and valuable. My bronze armor loots will also still be beneficial. Doing LGuk and getting that gear will still net me some good stuff, etc... I can still sell this stuff and people would want it. I can make banded on any server right now but who would buy it lol, plus there are countless other options now.

3) Preserves the player base at each era... people on Classic -Velious won't be going to Luclin, or PoP, or LDoN, or TSS, etc to do content. Every person will be somewhere in classic - velious. The key is it eliminates parallel content progression, say TSS, LDoN, etc. Things that split the player base, at least for those that want to.

I think there are plenty of things that could be considered to enhance this, maybe you have to create a char on tier 1 until you unlock further tiers, then can create chars on those to do their lower level content... etc...

It's just one idea but #1 I think would be massively valuable, sure this requires more servers in the *long* run, but initially it doesn't, and it allows people to start their progression and do it with others *at any time* without waiting for a new server. So it might replace the need to launch new servers at all.
  9. Exmortis_MT Augur

Some interesting ideas posted here.

MY personal take as one who will re-sub for progression.... After I said I would not be back when they closed Vanguard. Sucker born every minute and all.

I do think it should be two different servers, each with a separate mandate. You cant please everyone but you can please a huge amount of people with a separate server style for each.

IF they went two servers, label one "Classic Progression" and have it long time locks after the progression has been completed (or entirely time based for unlocks). It also should have much slower levelling curve, not 1999, but much slower than we see on live today. This server is for the old school weirdos like me, who long for the early days of EQ, but with a wee bit of tweaking. There should be no defiant, just good ole school EQ as much as one can replicate today. this is for the alt-holic old schooler who wants to sit back and casually enjoy everything EQ had to offer. This server should focus on the classic experience when ever possible. Also do not have double XP times, nor XP pots as well.

So second a "Everquest Progression" server much like the very first one done. Although its not my style, I cannot deny the passion of many players to strive to be the first and drive the progression of the server. This would have a much closer levelling curve to live (though probably somewhat reduced). This server should be progression focused and supporting that play style.

My idea here is the separation of the two camps, those who want "classic" EQ and those who loved the "progression" aspect of EQ from then to now. These two parties clash and usually at odds. This way we bring both to the table, and allow them to enjoy either aspect or both aspects of the EQ experience. This also allowed them to equally enjoy either player style, as they are separated by server, each offering a different experience.

I also would like to see a removal of the station cash shop in these servers, thus making them not F2P but sub only. Again this brings back the old school EQ feel, but allows a serious revenue generator for the company.
  10. Coldsore.Fippy Augur

I am hoping they address the amount of support that will be dedicated to the new prog servers, before choosing a payment model for them. It doesn't make sense for the only Gold locked server to be the one that is ignored when it comes time for bug fixes.
  11. Machen New Member

The current servers were gold because that is the only way Sony could make money on them at the start, not because they are somehow premium servers with a higher level of support. When all the mounts, bags, and aa unlocks that people normally spend money on in the station store are not available due to era restrictions, there has to be income from somewhere.
  12. Coldsore.Fippy Augur

But as a paying customer do you not expect some level of, yeah, we'll look into that when something comes up? Did they ever unlock Anguish?
  13. Wuvvyen New Member

Have we also covered how it will be handled with all access accounts vs free accounts on a progression-type server?
  14. Stehlik Augur

minority - the smaller number or part, especially a number that is less than half the whole number

I stand by my use of the word minority.
  15. Trevalon Augur

I do think we can all agree on one thing first:

NERF SHADOWKNIGHT'S DEATHTOUCH AT LAUNCH!

That is we can all agree...unless your name is Wulias :)
    Soltara likes this.
  16. Jezzie Augur

Keep newbie armor quests off the server, gear you quest at level 1-5 and is good till level 50+ kills my patchwork armor market.
    Personally I'd like to see research again but I'm not holding out much hope for that one!
    No F2P, it will encourage the plat farmers.
    Allow offline traders to create a healthy /baz
  17. vardune Augur

NO RAFs for starters. No newbie armor, must have a subscription, no defiant armor or mercs EVER. Original exp rate and it should have for sure Corpse Recovery.
    Also no voting to unlock. Should be a beat to unlock and after have a 3 month grace period before the next expansion hits. Starting with classic and kunark is a great idea. Leave that up for 6 months and then release velious. Beat veliuos and then wait three months for the next expansion. This progression will be slower and more classic with HELL levels added and original exp curve.
    I think the solution is to make a hardcore classic server and another server closer to the last set that were easier. Some of us old timers miss the hard and challenging eq game. I know that almost everyone that wants a truely classic eq game isnt playing a progression or live. WE arent playing at all. Take our money, please.
  18. just_some_bard Lorekeeper

19. Tyche Elder

I fail to see the point of starting another progression server if it's just going to be like all the others. People seem to either like the old or care about the current. Sure, it's a very short term boost and lots of people scramble at the start and then realize the uphill climb they have to do and remember they done it all before and leave. If you don't get on the train at the start you're likely out of luck unless you just want to tool around by yourself.

I still like my idea of jump starting at omens because I don't want to wait 3 years for a prog server to get there but that's me. There is a lot of expansions to get through probably more that EQ has time left to offer. We can revisit this is 2020 and see.

What I would be willing to pay for and play is a known locked at X expansion server because I know I can play at my speed and people can't keep getting ahead of me. Eventually I will be at a level where the population is viable and take part in raids and such if I wish.

What X is is up for debate but I think if there was a vote it would be <= GoD.
  20. vardune Augur

Yup if they do stop a server GoD is perfect place to stop. I would like to see a very slow progression up to GoD if thats the case 6 months or more per expansion before they r unlocked.