Compiling Progression Server Ideas

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xanadas, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Vaclav Augur

Keep in mind you've got no spawn competition though - Hendar's argument isn't without merit. (Although I will say, I do stick to some obscure camps that aren't usually very contested though - like QCats, Tox, and Kitty Isle)
    Numiko likes this.
  2. Hendar Augur

They must have done something to the xp tables. When Fippy first started, it seemed like it took 2-3 hours per level.
  3. Vaclav Augur

I'm sure L1 took that in some places - Fippy had a slight XP hit compared to live, but not as extreme as it would sound from your two comparisons. But L1 mobs give so ridiculously little XP already that competition over them might drive it up that much.

L1 really does feel like a hell level on Progression. L2 gets a little better as long as fire beetles and similar are showing up consistently - come L5 though, things get down to about an hour a level if you're in a reasonable group though.
  4. Rolien Elder

I see a lot of people saying locked at a current expansion which in theory sounds good. However you have to remember that expansions come out for a reason and that reason is to keep everyone occupied with something to do. If it were to lock at a certain expansion it would only be a matter of time before people got bored and quit even if they say they won't quit.

What I would personally like to see is a see is a progression server that starts at classic. Once Naggy and Vox are killed a 4+ month timer starts after the timer is done put out a vote to progress to the next expansion or hold for two weeks.

Bring back keys required for certain things (seb key, VP key, VT key, ect) Do not allow levels to just let you into zones also keep the beginning contested do not do instances until PoTime.

Keep the UI changes there is nothing game breaking about clicking items from bags, having more inventory slots or bank slots and having shared bank.

Do not allow certain races or classes till that expansion is actually out so no beast lords till Luclin.

Get rid of defiant gear it breaks the game and basically is the same as turning easy mode on.

Lower exp rates depending on the level range you want to keep the zones as populated as you can, however remove class and race penalties let everyone gain experience at the same speed If it takes one player a day to get a level let the player who played half a day get half a level.

No hot zones, no recruit a friend, no double exp weekend.

No tutorial zone make everyone start in their city.

I'm not sure if it's possible but make the spells normalized for their time period, what I mean by this is make them do the type of damage or healing during that time period if i remember correctly healing only healed for like what 100 tops? Also if possible make the spells require the levels they did not a spell at every level like it currently is make it where int casters got spells at 1, 4, 8, 12, 16...ect.

Keep out of combat regeneration the same as it currently is this is not game breaking it just means less time doing nothing. If the progression server starts out similar in difficulty as classic each fight almost made you sit after words even at low levels.

Make the server pay to play if people want to box an entire group let them if their paying by the month 15 dollars per account that's 90 dollars a month from one person. As for the market place let only one thing be purchasable from it and that's Krono's.

I understand everyone has their own look at how this needs to be done some want to to go fast others want it to go slow. We have to remember they are in this to make money so they will have to try their best to hit a sweet spot between people who want it to go fast (in my opinion if you want it to go fast why do you even want a progression server) and the people who want to take their time and enjoy the content.

Over the years Everquest has grown a lot some for the better some for the worst in my opinion the progression server needs to try to bring back the glory of what Everquest was when it first came out but remove all the things that made it a hassle back then.

No one wants to fight with a UI, opening a bag taking a clicky out of a bag putting the clicky in the slot the bag was in putting the bag back opening the bag back up putting the clicky back in the bag is not fun it's just annoying. No one wants to sit and wait a half an hour to get full mana back if you do I'm not sure why but hey more power to you I know I don't. I just wanna enjoy the game not kill a mob sit for half an hour kill a mob sit for half an hour.

Bring back the game that made people feel they were on a adventure no more of the streamline bullcrap.
    Dragoon likes this.
  5. Numiko Augur

That's a good point, the zones were empty but for me, I had pretty well unlimited mobs to kill.

One thing I have noticed though is there are much higher level mobs in the starter zones vs 1999, I remember having to leave Nektulos around level 7-8 because everything went grey, now they have level 15-16 spiders and such there.
  6. vardune Augur

All of this with corpse runs. Bring the corpse run back.
    Dragoon likes this.
  7. Numiko Augur

One other thing I noticed playing around in the old zones, seems at one point someone added a bunch of Focus to old school items, like a serpentine bracer has a focus to increase DoT damage 20% now.

I missed the last two sets of progression servers, were things like that from the start of them as well?
  8. Coldsore.Fippy Augur

I want to say that item focuses were in, but can't remember 100%
  9. taliefer Augur

they arent going to put that much time and resources into doing that. they said as much the last time around before Fippy. also, corpse recovery runs was solidly voted down by the players early during Fippy.
  10. vardune Augur

Good for the original vote. Lets have another vote, its a NEW server.
  11. Hendar Augur

Did you play on Fippy/Vulak? This is how things worked there. A lot of people were unhappy with the voting mechanic. As you can imagine, people find it hard to agree on when expansions should open
    Keys were in, instances were not. You don't want instances, I see. But... did you play on Fippy/Vulak?

All of that was in on Fippy/Vulak, and so on (with the exception that RAF was in) You post boils down to "give us another Fippy/Vulak", which you are free to request. Those of us who played on those servers saw how things did not work quite the way we felt they should.

RAF is way overpowered.
  12. Vaclav Augur

Focii were absolutely in - if they did a "nerf aura" on the server they'd be something else to mitigate as well.
  13. Numiko Augur

How about drops from zones that were revamped / updated?

Like, on Fippy did the 20/47 Blackened Iron Bastard Sword drop in Runneyeye? or is it the much better 24/39 Blackened Alloy Bastard Sword?
  14. taliefer Augur

the latter. runnyeye was a godsend if you got there early. it quickly became farmer territory. sadly, even with the alloy version of weapons (there was 10/29 1hs as well) melees still paled in comparison to casters with the newer versions of their spells
  15. Rolien Elder

No I never played on Fippy or Vulak by the time I had time to play again I was to far behind to catch up and actually enjoy it if I'm going to play on a progression server I want to be there from the start not way late. I have read about the problems they had. People will never be happy with voting due to the fact that some people will want it to stay others will want to progress but a vote allows the majority to have what they want which is how it needs to be. Unless you can suggest a better option other than voting I fail to see any other way.

Just having it to when the bosses are killed the next expansion goes live ruins the entire entire point of a progression server because you will get a select group of people who will rush the expansions out before anyone even has time to enjoy it.

Just having a countdown ruins it sort of as well because then it just gives you a feeling of well I will just upgrade that item next month so why even bother getting an upgrade.

Yes I do not want instances for anything pre-time if they are coming out with a progression server they need to try and keep it like it was when the expansion was live to the best of their ability having instances for this ruins that. Yes I understand that some guilds will train other guilds who are trying to progress. To that effect there needs to be some form of punishment from GM's such as account suspensions or banning as it is a form of harassment which is against the rules.

Again I didn't play on Fippy/Vulak I have heard the stories how true some are I don't know I am sure that some are spot on and others are blown way out of proportion. If they open another server that is basically the same then they need to have rules set in stone such as if you are caught doing something such as training an entire raid you will be banned.
  16. Vaclav Augur

The problem is there's fundamentally no GMs now - I thought I'd read 1 per server with partial coverage - some others have said I misread it and it's ONE FOR THE ENTIRE GAME, PERIOD.

Either way, they weren't adequately staying on top of it with THREE GM's (if not more than that) before.... Imagine how much worse it will be with 1 or even worse a fractional one split over a dozen servers.
  17. Hendar Augur

Jet Li's post on the instancing thread illustrates part of what we were seeing. I am going to assume 0 GM support (and be happy when we get some). Removing most of the incentive seems like a workable idea.