Coirnav on lifesupport

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Payyne, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Krezzy Augur

I have to disagree to your point about XP for a couple reasons:

1. Many Coirnav players still raid on this server for the time being, but level up alts on Mangler due to the lower XP rate.

2. PoP is still relatively new on Coirnav. Most of the players don't yet have the PoTime fatigue that set in on Agnarr.

Adjusting XP isn't a panacea, of course, but it would certainly help Coirnav. Players would be leveling up their alts on this server rather than Mangler, invigorating the group game for low- and mid-level primary characters.
  2. jeskola pheerie

Servers that do not progress past a certain expansion don't work.
  3. Elemenopi Augur

Ironic, as some of us were looking for a guild on Coirnav for a bit, couldnt find one as many were loaded up on the classes we were playing, so decided to wait a month or two and start up our own operation on Mangler.

The fact that the majority of players moved to the new TLP is telling.

Next year when Phinny clone 4 comes out Mangler will only be finishing Luclin, and its unlock times allow for folks who have raid characters on Mangler to level another character or two somewhere else.
  4. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Speaking of Deathknell, the server will likely be dead minus 1 or 2 guilds by then. (PoR)
  5. Gremin Augur

Cant have what didn't exist, and AoC's didn't even exist. Hell, I remember the Devs repeatedly stating it was not even possible. Even with the ton of people quitting over mass boxers etc, both servers had a super healthy population. No matter how you spin it, the release of Phinny killed the populations on RF/LJ.

RF has a healthy population and is about to get another raid guild next week when DHS moves over there, I can see the server going the distance.
  6. FIsh Lips Augur

Yes, but at least with 400% xp bonus those that want to stick it out can probably do so with whatever groups they can throw together.
  7. FIsh Lips Augur

I think this misses the point of why people play TLPs. They aren't playing because of the content, they are playing to level up and go through the game in-era with other people.

Locking a server only answers people's needs to freeze time for that content, but as we saw on Agnarr, very few people actually want that. What they want is to run through the game with other people, as the game was originally designed.

Unfortunately as a server ages there are problems: if you are new, there will be no one to play with, everyone is much higher level. The amount of time you have to fly solo (in a game that was never designed for that) to catch up with the population increases dramatically. What the game needs most is a catch-up system. Unfortunately with the attempt to monetize that process in the form of Heroic characters, they really botched the implementation and now have financial disincentive to ever try again. Combine that with the financial incentive of releasing Krono Farm Server +1 every year, it's all over. I hope one day people stop throwing krono at these things, but I don't have any faith, too many people are ready to quit their day jobs and start their EQ business...
    andross77 likes this.
  8. Zert Journeyman

daybreak been doing this since the first TLP they had which was ragefire the TLPs before weren't daybreak..

anyway been going on since ragefire really

get use to it there will be more TLPs even after mangler/selo lol
  9. jeskola pheerie

i went back to LJ/Ragefire because i tried Truebox and Truebox blows.
  10. Fan of Scott Journeyman

No one cares
  11. Fuzzbutt Elder

This
    andross77 likes this.
  12. Dewey Augur

They are just simulating real everquest. I remember when PoP was out; then all of the sudden something happened. Granted it was a little later, but they released Everquest II, the same time WoW was out and the same time that Star war's was released.

What your experiencing is the real experience; whereas, you have something you love. Something that you devoted time to; yet players are leaving and your sad.

Them doing this is almost an exact simulation of what really happened to EQ. The only thing is you have less time invested before you start to see the decline.
  13. ShivanAngel Augur

It is almost like everyone predicted this would happen when coirnav's ruleset was released...

Really slow exp, slow unlocks....

Phinigel was in a REALLY popular era of EQ, regardless of what people will say. Lots of people just stayed on phini.

People jump ship the second something better comes along. I played on Coirnav for about 5 days then noped right the hell out of there because of how slow the exp was. There is a happy medium between exp so slow you want to hang yourself, and exp thats so fast you dont feel like you earned anything...

Mangler and Selo did a much better job of finding the happy place then coirnav did.
  14. snailish Augur

I basically agree with your points, except for TSS era --the one era in EQ history that everything aligns differently, might allow the idea (holding server) to work.

TSS is 1-75 fresh start content that a person can solo most classes rather easily in at least to level 50s --who can group with higher level. Without mercs completely trivializing the effort. There is also a lot of game content at that point, without too much of the older stuff being fully useless, so still some nostalgia sell too. At the same time, TSS remains an era a lot of progression players have never done --it's new old stock content.

TSS low content is a gathering place for those that aren't maxed out. I can usually login to any live server and find more than one person in the Crescent Reach newbie yard, Blightfire, etc.

True locked servers only work for a select few... if it was just straight "TSS prison" then it would be low pop and borderline viable. Set up as a holding/pass through server I think it has a bit more sustained interest.

Some would stay there. Some would level there. Some would use it to springboard from Agnarr and non-viable to something that is (for them). If it was Selos and/or had some of those special rules... I could see it working fine with the lock.

Would I prefer a new expac that went level 1-115 self contained in a well-developed way... sure. Not holding my breath on that happening. Do I see the logic in buffing heroic characters (even if just via a quest that is mad XP) to 105 --yes. Again, it hasn't happened yet so not sure if there is hope for it. There's a sorts of dev effort in ideas like that --locking a server @TSS and allowing specific transfers on/off isn't a big workload, though it would require updating as other servers progress.
  15. Malkayah New Member

I still just don't understand people saying EXP is too slow on Coirnav. And I don't think it would fix anything...might even just make it worse, because the few people still playing on Coirnav would need to spend even less time to hit max level/AA.

If it were any faster, folks would just AA cap and eff off faster. I rolled my druid the day Luclin dropped on Coirnav, and I hit 380ish AAs last night mid-raid, without a single AE group.

But yeah...grouping on Coirnav is dead and it sucks. I quit my SK when PoP came out because no guilds had room for one in raids...now I can't find a tank for group content to save my life.

LDoN is gonna save us though, right? Everyone is going to be running dungeons for them augs, right? Right?!?!
  16. Boze TLP complaint factory

Honestly the LDoN PUG game was super active on Phinny.
  17. FIsh Lips Augur

Picking TSS as a fresh start, or even LDoN as a fresh start, I actually see a lot of value in. But only as a start, not a lock.

I can go on live right now and play TSS, but I don't because it's still a long damn haul to 100 and I will be going it alone. Gear (defiant) does not keep up with the levelling pace early on, and lack of said gear really starts to matter at around 60-65. So then does the pace of levelling (and it's still a massive haul to 100).

But as a fresh start after classic, I can see a few places as being good points. For example LDoN. You group in LDoNs until the 60s, at which point you spread to the planes and start working on raid flags and spells. Your entry raids aren't vox or naggy, they're aerin'dar and manaetic beheamoth. Open GoD 12 weeks later, and you have a server with some good life at a time when most other servers are flagging.

Possibly TSS works the same way, I'm not quite sure since I've never done TSS as anything but goofing off on live.

I don't like locking servers though, no one wants to play when there's no future.
  18. Spayce Augur

There isn't much they can do to make Coirnav more appealing to new players. Increasing XP will help, but the server will still have a net loss of players no matter what because it isn't the newest server anymore. That much is set in stone now.

The best thing the devs can do for the health of Coirnav is help decrease the loss of players by not making us wait for 3 additional months for GoD to come out. I think 1 month of LDoN grinding and farming of PoTime is enough, and then give the remaining population GoD content to raid.
  19. Machentoo Augur

Why do you think the devs are concerned for the health of Coirnav? If players leave Coirnav for a newer progression server, DBG is still getting paid, and arguably has given the players a product that they prefer over Coirnav, likely resulting in better retention. They really have no incentive to try to keep players on Coirnav, specifically.

(That said, I think it is shortsighted and they are looking at things from a six month or one year horizon rather than a five year horizon. Players will eventually grow sick of bailing on server after server and restarting over and over.)
  20. Lateryn Augur

DBG tends to make more money on new servers, there is reason they are released annually or semi-annually. All that station cash bought for pots, mounts, etc, not to mention a new set of bags every time. A huge influx of players, where a lot actually still pay the 15 a month and people buying krono on new servers to then sell for cash to get early head starts.