cleric guide

Discussion in 'Priests' started by krichton, Jun 14, 2015.

1. FixShamanPlease Elder

If you don't want to change your keyboard shortcuts you can make a spamable macro like this:
    /cast 1
    /cast 2
    /cast 5
  2. sojero One hit wonder

You can do that but it can lock you out at critical times, I find this method good for bots, not for when maining a healer.
  3. FixShamanPlease Elder

? there is no /pause
  4. Gundolin Augur

FixShamanPlease - Does the macro require a /pause 1 to launch a spell if you attempt to cast the spell above it and its greyed out on a refresh timer?
  5. FixShamanPlease Elder

no pause, it casts the fist spell available listed in the macro. You just got a few lign of spam in your chat window because of the global recast time, thats it.
    Of course the multibinding is prefered. It was just an other way to do it.
  6. Tour Augur

You really, really, do not want to be using social macros for spell casting other than linking it with chat messages for greater communication (DI, MGB's, TB's, divine rez's /rez's, etc). Being forced to commit to a string of actions is a recipe for failure when the very nature of your role requires you to quickly adapt to the changing conditions on the ground.
  7. sojero One hit wonder

When I was using that on my box cleric, with or without a pause 1, I would find issues, I switched to multibind and never had issues after. With or without the pause, it is still going to go through and try each of the spells, so it can lock you up for .5-1 second during that, which in high times of need, can be a big difference.

Now when boxing the cleric and putting it on auto, a social is fine, if you are boxing and you will have longer pauses so that you can cast 5 lights or whatever you want it to do.
    Iila and Brohg like this.
  8. Crystilla Augur

Here's the information, pulled somewhat from both Ny and Tour, that I posted on our guild boards - it was written for when we have cleric boxes in raid (where the player either isn't a cleric main or has both the main and the cleric in the raid at the same time) and can benefit from easier healing tips. Rather than go through and try and clean up the language, I'm leaving it written for a box healer but just know that it will pertain to a main as well.

It also lists a specific spell lineup that our guild is more accustomed to (meaning I won't be recommending interventions for boxed healers). You can insert whatever spell lineup you think makes the most sense for yourself based on heal focii, etc.

~~
    So there is documentation and a reference guide, I'm putting these down in writing. This does assume the healer is level 105 and has all their 101-105 rank 1 spells.

SPELL LINEUP
    This is probably the most critical aspect for boxed healers (as it is for main healers) and is why I'm discussing this first. If you are boxing a healer on a raid (aka your main is also in the same raid actively participating), you are going to want to set things up to be as easy on yourself as possible. Therefore, there are some radical suggestions that I'm going to make, but they will make you incredibly efficient and fast at your healing.

Which Spells to Use
    This is a question that all main clerics who are wise ask themselves - "Am I using the best spells I can?". Therefore, for boxed healers, I'm going to give some strong suggestions on what your lineup should look like.

Spells to have up (and in this order for the first 5-aka direct heals):
    1. Spiritual Remedy
    2. Graceful Remedy
    3. Fraught Renewal (level 100)
    4. Fervent Renewal (level 95) - If you have CoF raid tier 2 or TDS raid focii, you can swap this out for Fervid Renewal (level 105)
    5. Ardent Light

The order of your other non heals (or group/elixir heals) is less important, just that they need to come after these first 5.

So why did I choose these spells? And why is the order of your spells important? That ties into point #2 (what healing method you'll use), but it's also important because for some of us, it's easier to think of healing from fastest spell casts to slowest. Who wants to use a long casting heal when there are shorter alternatives? Not me!

These spells are listed in order of cast time. Cast times below assume you do have raid boots from either CoF or RoF. If you're serious about raiding with VG, make sure you get yourself one of these.

• Spiritual Remedy and Graceful Remedy are 0.5 sec cast times (separate timers so you can have both up)
    • Fraught Renewal and Fervent Renewal are 1.8 second cast times (again separate timers)
    • Ardent Light is 2.2 second cast times

You might ask why I didn't put Fervid Renewal into the initial lineup. This is because until we have max spell haste, their cast times become slower than all of the above listed spells. These days, speed is king for healing (not the amount of the spell itself).

Someone else might ask "Why include those long recast spells of fraught renewal/fervent renewal"? Two reasons:

1) Their cast time is our 2nd quickest.
    2) These are the only two direct heals we have that can trigger Sanctified Blessing AA. (What's that?) It's a passive AA that at max level can crit for 36-37k (10k non crit). Who doesn't want to add 10k+ of passive healing when you cast a spell?

Ok, for ease, it's strongly suggested that you reorder your spells in the order above. It does take a couple weeks of getting used to (if you had them in a different order), but it will happen. I've done it myself (twice now see, image below taken before I had a lot of my rank 2's for TDS).

[IMG]

Manual keypresses vs. hotkey with pauses vs. multibinding
    Ok, so the million dollar question - why put the spells in this order? Because there are multiple ways of healing and for 2 of them it makes more sense to have the spells you'll cast in the order you want to cast them.

• Manual Keypress - This is when you manually hit each spell on an individual basis. You might do it via:
      1. mouse clicking the spell gem,
      2. mouse clicking a single hotkey.
      3. using the Alt + number spell.
    Either way, you don't want to have to jump all around your spell bar looking for the next spell to cast when you're boxing a healer. This is not the easiest healing strategy a healer can use.

• Hotkey with Pauses - If you need a bunch of heals to go off on a single player without focusing full time on the cleric, this is usually the approach a cleric will take. You would set your hotkey up like the following, but play with the /pause numbers to account for lag you experience as everyone is slightly different.

/pause 10 = 1 second
    /pause 5 = 0.5 seconds (half a second)
    /pause 20 = 2 seconds

This is a key I personally have made and use on occasion but again it's not the recommended approach being discussed here.

[IMG]

Then, to accurately follow this up, you can do a 2nd hotkey that you click after this one where everything on line 1,2,4 and 5 are the same and the only thing you change is on line 3. You would change the /cast 3 to /cast 4.

What this hotkey does is always cast the remedies when they are up. Then the next fastest cast time, then back to remedies since they'll be back up again and so on. Use both back to back and you'll get 10 casts from clicking 2 keys.

• Multibind - If you can press 1 key over and over, you can accomplish more than the hotkey above. Multibind is when, in the options panel, you assign multiple heals to the same hotkey. Then press that single key and it will cast the next available spell for you.

THIS is the reason you were asked to put your spells in the above order. The key will go from lowest slot to highest slot # (aka if you assigned spell gems 4, 2 and 8 to this key, it will try spell gem 2 first, then 4 next then 8). Therefore to select your spells based on cast time, you have to put them in cast time order.

In order to cast these spells as fast as possible, having zero downtime, a multibind is the easiest way to accomplish this. Everquest has an order of precedence in the way it attempts to accomplish multiple tasks that are assigned to a single key. In the case of multiple spells assigned to that key, it attempts to cast them in order from first to last with how they are ordered in your gems.

If you go to options > Keys tab > Select Category: Spell casting you will see how to set a key to cast each spell. So, if you set your targetted heals up in order, from gem 1 to gem 8, then set that Keypress to the same key (that isn’t used for anything else) then you will have created a multibind.

This is the fastest way to cast the best spells possible, in a lineup that have varied cooldown timers, while ensuring that the best one that IS available, is cast first.

Here's an image of my multibind key (which will try spiritual remedy, graceful remedy, fraught renewal, fervid renewal and in my case, as a last resort, group heal).

[IMG]

Using a multibind effectively will go through more mana, but it will also heal more while saving you time and stress.
    Gundolin likes this.
  9. Zaknaffein Augur

Less splashing the raid, more direct heals to the warrior tanking!

You know who you are!
  10. Roxxanna Augur

Nope.

You can pry C. Splash out of my cold dead hands.
  11. Gundolin Augur

Wait I thought I was only supposed to heal the tanking warrior if he's parsing? No parse = No heal
  12. Roxxanna Augur

Self parses are much more useful.

As a habitual guest, I never get to see tank parses, I use the guide below to tell how I'm doing.

Other clerics giving you advice in tell/Tanks ignoring you.........your prolly doing below average.
    Other clerics chatting and friendly/Tanks ignoring you..............prolly doing slightly below to average.
    Other clerics ignoring you/Tanks chatting and friendly..............above average.
    Other clerics ignoring and not healing you/Tanks thank you.....congradulations, top of parse.
    You get no DR's or QM's/Tank bows before you.......................superstar, enjoy your life of solitude.
  13. Tour Augur

....I have no idea who your fellow heal team members are. But it sounds like your class lead / raid leader, needs to slap the proverbial **** out of the collective lot of them and get them to maybe sort of resemble something that could possible be considered a cohesive team.
    Iila likes this.
  14. Roxxanna Augur

Forgot to add:

Clerics ignoring/tanks ignoring/everyone ignoring..........time to move on, they learned all they can off you.

All the above can also easily be explained by me coming off as snobby/holier than thou.
  15. sojero One hit wonder

Roxx, your not snob....... carry on.
  16. Brohg Augur

Zaknaffein is clearly talking about paladins, everyone can carry on.
  17. Gundolin Augur

With a Level 103 Cleric raid buffed mana pool low 80s. I'm having to put in a lot more Renewals and even using some Light and I'm still usualy on the edge of going OOM by the end of the fight. I will regularly use QMx2 and Veturika's Perseverance x 2 and two charges of mod rods. Which looks like its way more than you guys are using. Are you able to cast through that as fast as it will cycle? Or are people more selective in when they start the healing process?

If so is it mana regen that I should be working toward or a larger pool?
  18. Crystilla Augur

Having only low 80's for mana on a 103 raid buffed cleric seems to me that your augments may be a bit off? My group geared characters hit 75k with bad augs.

It sounds like the items on THIS thread would be worth having for you.

Also, for me, I add in one intervention (so mine goes remedy 1 . remedy 2 . intervention . remedy 1 . remedy 2 . renewal 1 . remedy 1 . remedy 2 . renewal 2). Then beginning that cycle again. It can be a mana hog, which is why if you wait a fraction of a second you can spam remedies back to back instead of that many renewals. When my guild had some new clerics, I had them use light instead of the 2nd renewal and use that to help conserve.

What boots do you have as well? If you don't have the CoF tier 2 (or TDS) raid boots, I suggest sticking with the 95 and 100 level renewals instead of the 100 and 105 renewals. Just saves you a lot of mana. Same with the light, use the lower level.
    Gundolin and Iila like this.
  19. Brohg Augur

That's a pretty anemic mana pool for raiding, it suggests that you're not even full group geared (which would be around 95k). And there's no way that 80k includes a raid level mana preservation ring. When discussing raid healing output, things like that kinda have to be assumed. That said, there are things you can work on:

Do you have Tome of Manipulation from Neriak?

Helping Hand aug in a mana-proc 1h (Wohda's Mace of Assuring Death is best groupable)?

You don't mention keeping Miniature Horn of Unity greyed out across your whole group?
  20. Ravengloome Augur

Yaulp bro and get gear that's more current then VOA.