Cleave question

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Valox_Tz, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Valox_Tz Journeyman

So I've been hearing rumors that theres a cleave bug which allows raiders to have up to 8 different cleave Warchief augs and effectively get 200 more damage per swing?

AKA all the class specific quest armor is worthless if you are a melee?
  2. Crystilla Augur

I know that did exist. Not sure what the actual number that you gained, but I know someone going cleave on all missed out on other key things like fero (or parry/block) etc. So definitely had some trade off. Whatever amount it was only added to a fairly small increase overall.
  3. Abazzagorath Augur

It would be 224 extra (32 x7) if its still bugged. However, looking at data from dps parses, its adding less than 2% dps to zerkers, and would add a bit more for dual wielders, so its not a massive issue. DB is added after everything and isn't modified by skills and disciplines.

Look at your average melee hit on a burn, divide 224 by that average, then divide that by the % of your dps that was melee and thats how much an increase in your dps you'd get going from 1 cleave to 8.
  4. Rogue Augur

Been like this for a while.

Should it be fixed? Yes.

Do I even think dev's are aware that it stacks despite it being brought up on the forums for years? No
  5. Tanecho Augur

This is just a symptom of a larger problem, that for melee DPS classes a new piece of armor means essentially nothing other than surviving maybe 1/20th of an extra hit. We don't have stats like clairvoyance, spell damage, and most importantly spell foci on our armor. We have ferocity, which is a percentage increase between expansions, and cleave, which is a minor flat damage tacked onto each hit available in only 1 slot on class armor.

The "fix" for this would be to either think of something new and meaningful for melee, or to put cleave ix - 32 on every single piece of their class armor other than the legs, not to remove the only upgrade path available. Heroics are so weak from a melee damage perspective and they aren't even increasing between expansions right now.
    Uxtalzon likes this.
  6. Gladare Augur

Just a quick note: the damage increase from scout's mastery line(ranger) is not the same as the damage bonus added from the cleave focus, second spire from a lot of melee classes, the dragorn illusion as a few examples. It's not a flat damage amount added to the end of each hit.
  7. Chandrok Augur

We've known about it for a long time. We just decided it wasn't something we wanted to change.
  8. Shang Augur

Hrm, with no Emblems, this has potential... ;-)
  9. Rouan Augur

I'd really only do it to the wrist slots.
  10. Shang Augur

Yeah.. debated about head slot
  11. Gladare Augur

I don't see any reason not to as a ranger with head slot. Our dots aren't worth casting even with the focus.
  12. Silias McKendrick Augur

This would up straight melee dps, ie warrior/monk/rouge/berserker w/o taking away from other stuff.
    Most of the focus parry/block/dodge ect can be had on off slots.
  13. Xnao Augur

All neck items have parry/block and all ranges (except those anti-necro proc ranges in ntov) have dodge.

In reference to another post, groupers can have two cleave slots. If they are leaving this in game, they should probably allow groupers to have them in each slot as well. Right after they make a corruption focus on cultural.
  14. telechir Elder

Does this work with other types of focus? Can you stack poison focus' for increased effect?
  15. Gladare Augur

No. Technically, the main focus of cleave isn't stacking. Just a small, side addition that isn't very powerful and isn't supposed to be stacking.
  16. Rouan Augur

Which is a really minor DPS addition. Not gonna break anything, at best it makes DPS consistently a bit higher.

I'd say... ~600 more dps at best (maybe a bit more for monks).

Really only for the obsessive compulsive min-maxers.