Casters and Priest still using old 96-100 over 101-105 spells

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ruven_BB, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Crystilla Augur

I just ran the ratio's on some commonly cast cleric spells:

Spiritual Remedy rank 1 costs 7.5% more mana than rank 3 of graceful (11.7% more than rank 2 of graceful).
    Spiritual Remedy rank 1 heals for 5.1% more than rank 3 of graceful (10.3% more than rank 2 of graceful).
    - Loss here in ratio (and that's before taking the 5% degradation into account). Doesn't matter since any cleric worth their salt will use both (on raids at least).

Ardent Elixir costs 5% more than rank 3 (9.2% more than rank 2).
    Ardent Elixir heals for 5% more than rank 3 (10.2% more than rank 2)
    - Even ratio (but then take the 10% degradation into account).

Ardent Light costs 4.5% more than rank 3 (8.7% more than rank 2).
    Ardent Light heals for 2.5% more than rank 3 (7.6% more than rank 2).
    - Net loss (even before taking the 15% degradation into account).

Fervid Renewal costs 5% more than rank 3 (9.2% more than rank 2)
    Fervid Renewal heals for 5% more than rank 1 (10.3% more than rank 2).
    - Even (but that's before the massive 25% degradation if you don't have CoF Raid Tier 2 gear).

Mystical Intervention costs 5% more than rank 3 (9.2% more than rank 2).
    Mystical Intervention heals for 5% more than rank 3 (10.3% more than rank 2).
    - Even (but that's before the 15% degradation takes effect).

Word of Greater Reformation costs 5% more than rank 3 (9.2% more than rank 2)
    Word of Greater Reformation heals for 5% more than rank 3 (10.2% more than rank 2).
    - Even (but that's before the massive 25% degradation if you don't have CoF Raid Tier 2 gear).

Word of Convalescence costs 5% more than rank 3 (9.2% more than rank 2).
    Word of Convalesence heals for 5% more than rank 3 (10.2% more than rank 2).
    - Even ratio (but that's before taking the 5% degradation into account).
  2. Ravengloome Augur

Yar moving the goal posts is dumb.
  3. Sancus Augur

They most definitely are when you consider focus decay. To use Magician Spear of Molten Shieldstone Rk. I as an example, it has identical base damage as the old Rk. III. At the same time, it is a level 105 spell, meaning with CotF T1 raid foci it, when compared to Spear of Blistersteel, A) receives a lower focus (55% instead of 73.5%) B) Takes longer to cast (about 1.855 seconds) and C) Receives less mana pres. If that isn't enough, both Fire Core and Elemental Union have level 100 caps with 100% degradation, meaning you have to train both of them fully to affect Spear of Molten Shieldstone. Now, it is true there is a focus AA for Spear, however it is a special case. It is one of two AAs (other is Bolt of Molten Shieldstone) I know of that do not crit, nor are they focused (Elidroth confirmed this). This means the spell is not receiving the 6% upgrade it should, so it falls behind Spear of Blistersteel both DPS and Mana wise. I admit that's a special case, but Spear is a very important nuke from my perspective, so the idea that no RoF Rk. III's are better is incorrect.

No, you don't truncate. In "EQ math" truncation occurs often, but the 67.5% is actually player math. The game rolls a die for any value between 35 and 100, including 35 and 100. This averages out to be a 67.5% focus, not 67%. Because that number has no direct correlation with in game calculations, it is exact rather than a truncation.
  4. Barper Lorekeeper

But my 67.5% wasn't intended in that case as an in game focused integer that needed truncation. It was an average of the high and low focii. True, a 67.5 would never be 'rolled' but over 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 casts the average would be a 67.5% focus increase, and that's not truncated as represented in my comment. But I'm not here to argue on the internet :) Thanks for checking!
  5. Crystilla Augur

We're talking which focus is going to fire if you you have 2 at the different percentages (well at least I was, it wasn't clear reading back).
  6. Barper Lorekeeper

Are you saying that you're supposing someone is wearing both the degraded RoF Raid T3 focus AND the TDS Group T3 focus? In that case it's still the same thing, as only one roll (whichever RNG comes up as higher) will stand up. However, short of the ToV (35-100) robe from Dagarn I don't know of another RoF or better item that focuses fire dmg, like the T3 group TDS sleeves do. So, supposing you were wearing both, it would increase your chances and throw your average value calculated slightly off as you'd effectively have a large chance that at least one of your focuses rolled average or higher, so it would eliminate some of the valleys, although it would take a tremendously high roll from the degraded 35-100 focus (degraded to 26-75) roll to overcome any kind of below average roll of the TDS T3 group, as only upper quartile rolls from rof t1 raid degraded would even start to cover for lower half rolls of the T3 group TDS.

That, however, is not at all what I thought we were discussing. OP was correlating the power of level 96-100 rk 3 spells with RoF/CotF T1 raid focus to 101-105 rk spells with T3 group focus. Pointing out that RoF raid set up, with the exception of unfocused spells (Rains, Garg Pets for mages, etc) is still more powerful than TDS maximum group set up, and it isn't close. That is all I illustrated.
  7. Barper Lorekeeper

Caveman Picture
    Focus Percentage Ranges
    0 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 50 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 100
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( - - - - - - - - - - - RoFT3 Raid- - - - - - - - - - -) 100 Spells
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -( - - - Degraded RoFT3 Raid- - -) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 105 Spells
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( TDS Group T3 )- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - All Spells
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - RoFT1 Raid - - - - - - - - - - - ) 100 Spells
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - ( - - - - - Degraded RoFT1 Raid- - - -) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 105 Spells
    NTS

The gaps in focus more than makes up for the 10-16% increased (depending on focus aa's levels, whether focused or not) base damage.. especially when casting efficiencies are involved.