Can we get a new class?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CaRnon, Mar 18, 2013.

1. CaRnon Augur

I spent tonight reading about the history of everquest... it was a very entertaining story.. Bust we have not had a new class since beast lords and such.,

I was just courious if we cuould add another class into the game. It would keep the game fresh and give a reason for new players to join everquest. I am all about new players joining our game
  2. Kelefane Augur

They have a hard enough time balancing the classes in the game now. Adding another class only compounds the issue. Some could argue that EQ has too many classes as it is.
    Uxtalzon likes this.
  3. silku Augur

I'd personally like to see a mage/warrior hybrid. ;)
    Fenthen and Sinestra like this.
  4. strongbus Augur

If they stop balancing the classes then they would have more time to do stuff like this. They never should have started balancing them to begin with. It was one of the worst things dervs have done in the game. The class should not have to be = with other classes. Each class should have one area where they are king and one area that they suck in.
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

You have a little catching up to do, it appears. Berserkers were added after beastlords, so there is your new class to play around with!
    Dramatime, Uxtalzon and Sinestra like this.
  6. The Hero of Halas New Member

Balancing 16 is hard enough.. Adding another would kill brains.
  7. Geroblue Augur

I agree with strongbus, balancing character classes is silly.
  8. Sinestra Augur

Adding another class would probably be a good idea at this point. Although it might add to the balancing issue, it would probably be worth it.
  9. Darktower Elder

The rumor mill has it that originally some sort of SOE marketing group pushed for us zerks to be added to the game.

...and the devs have been....loathsome....to keep us in mind ever since.

Trust me, you don't want them to develop another new class. You'd be the 'new' redheaded stepchildren.
  10. Hatsee Augur

I'd downvote this if possible.

Given the recent cleric thread I was expecting the reincarnation of the Wizerker thread from years past.
  11. Falos Augur

I want a mage ranger hybrid.

Make it so the Manger's pets can headshot but due to pet mechanics make it so the fire pet can headshot any level and any body type.

Also make it so priest heals do 25% more on top of its base heal whenever they stand near the Manger.
    silku likes this.
  12. Xorn New Member

Without combining classes, what would be a "NEW" class?? I mean what type of class could they add?? Another tank?? Another Healer?? DPS? Melee or casters? Only ones I could think would be merchant/trade-skill classes, but how could they help the group or raid ability? No I would rather see them spend the resources on improving what we already have, instead of add...add...add...which eventually becomes subtraction.
  13. TwinCitiesKnick New Member

I dunno. Personally, I always wanted a hybrid of a melee class (monk?) with an enchanter.

Or what about a hybrid between a shadow knight and a ranger? It'll be like a double/quadruple hybrid!

http://xkcd.com/419/
    silku likes this.
  14. EQtroll Journeyman

Balancing is a very poor argument not to have a new class. Typically when you talk about balance it is a reference to theme park mmo's with PvP. If you haven't already figured it out, EQ is 99% PvE. Also you are assuming the OP is referring to a DPS class.

So for argument's sake, lets talk about the positive's and negative's of a new class(quick thoughts, not in depth).

Positives
    1. Would help sell the whatever expansion it is tied to and/or sell it in the SC store.
    2. Would peak peoples interest outside of EQ and bring in some subscriptions.
    Negatives
    1. Would need spells/disciplines for 100 level's.
    2. Would need thousands of AA's to bring it in line with other classes. Including some unique one's that would set them apart from others.
    3. Would need an Epic 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 introduced for their class.
    4. Would need coder time to implement them.
    Next would be: Where would this class fit into raids/groups? Would the dev's have to bring in certain mechanics into raids/groups to satisfy their role a.k.a as the enchanter. The list of questions is endless, but I'm not going to go though them all.

This should give you a small window as to why we haven't gotten any new classes since Berserker's were introduced. Would it be cool to have something new and shiny as a new class? Yes, but the draw back is a lot of time spent on something that may or may not work out to EQ's benefit.
  15. Sinestra Augur

We have a lot of hybrids, most of which are warrior combined with a caster class.

Cleric and Warrior = Paladin

Druid and Warrior = Ranger

Enchanter and Warrior = Bard (at least I always thought of it this way)

Necromancer and Warrior = Shadowknight

Shaman and Monk = Beastlord

Although the Beastlord is a hybrid it really is the only one that doesn't use warrior as one of its parent classes. The only ones missing from the original classes are Mage/Warrior and Wizard/Warrior.

I can't though see them adding any more DPS classe. We already have 8 out of 16 classes basically being DPS. We have three and a half (mages) tank classes, three healer classes, and only two support roles unless I'm forgettig something. We need more support.
  16. Phrett Augur

As cool as a new class would be... I can tell you it wouldn't work very well in practice having played a zerker for the last 6 years or so...

The ripple effects of a new class and the class balancing act that has become standard just wouldn't allow for it... but just for the sake of fun argument, I'll say it would be cool to see a Spellsword/Battlemage dps class... or some new type of pure tank, but I digress.
    Fenthen likes this.
  17. Sinestra Augur

In the positives list you could also add that it would encourage people to start new characters which would increase the amount of people playing in lower level zones and therefore make those levels more friendly to new and returning players.

Not sure how we could add another epic. Would be weird adding a quest to old content for an item that wouldn't be that useful today.
  18. Tegila Augur

im not in favor of a new class, but woudl be itneresting to ahve like a monk/wizard (kinda like a necro with nukes instead of dots, and no pet but can dual wield)

or how about whateveryon'es tryign ot do already: jackofalltrades. jstu call it renaissance man lol. they ca ndo a little of everything but suck at everything too heh. st ports but 20second casts and cant port themselves, rez but 60%, heal but like a ranger 20levels lower, range but with a 45delay bow and only most basic aas, nukes like an sk instead of a wizard, dots like an sk or rgr but only 1 of each (dot and dd) single target 3second mez, 1 buff that when mgjb'd "normalizes" everyone in range to the lowest common denominator for each stat..lol. there. everyone's balance. could call them the great equalizer too. oh and make it so if hteyre swinging a weapopn they cant cast anyspells and if theyre casting a spell their ac goes to 0. the only disc the yget is a self spinstun/DA taht doesnt block incoming dmg only heals and outgoing stuff. their armor would be a plain white tshirt, a pair of grungy BVD's and socks that wont stay up. their weapons dualwielding cheap beer. who's in?
  19. Fenthen aka Rath

Definitely a Battlemage or Spellsword type class.
    • They'd be able to dual wield only (and include 1h caster staves) with any type of armor (plate to robes) with the heavier armor granting spell penalities, or perhaps penalties based on weight like Monks have it.
    • Their nukes would be better than a Shadow Knight but have no life-tapping abilities.
    • Their tank abilities would be better than a Ranger/Bard but not in-line with a SK/Paladin, making them good at pick-up adds as well as DPS.
    • They'd specialize in Fire/Cold/Magic based spells only, would benefit from caster shielding spells (at lower levels, like Paladin/Ranger/SK suffer from) as well as direct damage spells, and have instant nukes and DD proc spells available to them.
    • Some insta-DD spells could come at a sacrifice of themselves via damage to self as well as target.
    • Races: Human/Drakkin/Erudite?/Half-Elf?. No High Elves (as they are focused on magic and not combat).
    http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Battlemage
    http://www.maplewiki.net/index.php?title=Battle_Mage
    http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/52479/t1735624-difference-between-battlemage-spellsword/
  20. Sinestra Augur

The last thing we need is another DPS class. We already have 8 classes who are DPS involved.