In Progress Can no longer access desktop from game

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Yinla, Jan 17, 2024.

1. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

Good move.. I'm right there with ya,
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This was reported in beta?

Why was it not fixed before being pushed to live?
  3. Hegsheoshed Augur

We shall see if this is changed with todays patch. I can usually alt +tab but sometimes it gets stuck. Then if it does I have to alt +enter more than once and then I can click on whatever is on the desktop and I am back on the desktop and able to look up whatever quest or quest step I am on. This is with the
    overlap windows taskbar disabled. Eventually after a number of times the game is 'not responding' or if am am lucky if you can call it that I am back at the game screen and my chat windows are moved. Which still feels unlucky.
    mercury890, Jaaimi and Yinla like this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

EQ in windows 7 is now allowing me to smoothly tab in and out of EQ as long as I use the icons at the bottom of the screen and not alt tab.

Windows 11 on the other hand is having none of it and won't go back to full screen. Alt tab and clicking the windows icon let me play but it is windowed and part of the screen isn't visable.

Both are set to alwaysontop=0
    mercury890 likes this.
  5. Jaaimi New Member

Big surprise, all my issues with alt tab and using the windows button were not fixed. Not sure if they hate people who play in full screen mode, but it sure feels like it. The patch that added the new UI added about 6 seconds switching between toons using the alt tab which was eventually fixed. The changes to DirectX have totally broken my ability to play (and no, I don't do windows).
    Please fix it or at the very least, address the issue. Waiting another month for a potential fix will probably make me go silver, just so I can chat with friends.
    Igorath-Bertox and mercury890 like this.
  6. Jaaimi New Member

Sorry about the font size, looked bigger on my screen, wait, everything does.
    mercury890 likes this.
  7. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

It's very frustrating and unplayable...I stopped paying on all my accounts (Plural) and recommend it if anything to get their attention to chime in, ,instead of a "working on it"..
    I can fix it
    REVERT!
    Igorath-Bertox and Derek like this.
  8. Krabbi New Member

Didnt have any issues before, except for the long known ones, but now after the patch I cant switch task anymore from fullscreen without massive issues (and fullscreen is the only way I can play - windowed wont even let me change to other windows, completely blocked). If I do and switch back to EQ, the EQ window wont go fullscreen on its own again as usual, and when I try to do it manually (alt-enter) it will mess up my whole UI layout and I have to /q before it saves that (takes ages to fix it).
    Literally cant play like this.
    I use Windows 10, 2560x1440.
  9. Derek Lorekeeper

Echoing all the latest complaints here, alt tabbing and windowed modes have surprisingly got worse. Just when I finally found a work around to access my desktop and alt tab between accounts, but now when I do this in full screen mode it automatically minimizes both windows and I have to alt O, click windowed mode and then full screen again to get that account back, but as soon as I try to switch, both get minimized again. If this is the intention then ok but just come clean if the intention is to keep people from being able to play how they've been playing for 20+ years. I agree with all those who are saying that EQ is getting close to unplayable. I also keep seeing the word 'revert' and that sounds like it would be the right thing to do to fix all these issues... please, do something.
    mercury890, Shea and Xiphos like this.
  10. Xiphos New Member

Still having same issues with full screen mode and now window mode locks up after the patch.
    mercury890 likes this.
  11. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

That is so not right to ignore issues in Beta and release live. The desktop issue alone is a deal breaker... Not to even mention all the other problems Now look at the bird nest its created...REVERT! I've stopped paying for full access till it gets addressed...will come back and check from time to time.. I guess after the first quarter losses are posted will it get the right peeps attention to revert and go back to Beta till things are worked out to be released into the wild....
    Derek likes this.
  12. tn_war Journeyman

I'm now having this same issue on both machines but only since the patch this week. The previous patch didnt affect my machines adversely. My desktop and latop are both running win11.
    Kick and mercury890 like this.
  13. Krabbi New Member

Any time frame from the devs when I can play this game again (AKA when this is getting fixed)?
    Thank you.
    mercury890, Yinla and Sunawar like this.
  14. Kick New Member

Also would love to know when this ridiculous bug is getting fixed.
    mercury890, Sunawar and Krabbi like this.
  15. Hegsheoshed Augur

The need to hit alt + enter twice to get to full screen needs to lose the screen where the UI is jumbled. I don't know if that is possible. Sometimes after going back to character select it also doesn't go to character select in full screen. After returning to character select either once or multiple times it will just freeze up. No amount of alt + tab will do anything at that point to get to desktop and use the task manager to close EQ. Task manager, open folder or browser will not tab to to be on the screen to do anything and the only option is a hard reset using the power button.

My dilemma has been choosing the right thread to make this comment in.
  16. Korea numbah3 Elder

Original issue may have been fixed, but now after the last patch there is a need to alt-enter twice to return to full screen after you are tabbed out.

Not only that, but my screens are randomly going into a false minimized screen requiring me to click on the window and then alt-enter to enter true minimized, and then another alt-enter to return to full screen. The false minimized screen doesn't line up nor accept commands, so if you are pulling and go over to hit your tanks keyboard- you're outta luck pal.

I'm still playing true-boxed w/ 5 of 6 PC's on full screen. Sometimes the issue happens within a few minutes of each other, or each can go for a half hour or so before re-occuring. This is happening maybe 30 times in a play session.
    mercury890 likes this.
  17. Horse Journeyman

Original Dx9 version worked.
    DX11 upgrade still worked (for me) but sub-optimal
    DX11 patch broke it completely (for me)
    mercury890 likes this.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Today I tabbed out to update website and I could not get back to EQ game screen. Had to kill EQ and log back in completely.
    Igorath-Bertox likes this.
  19. mercury890 Old Timer from the days of karana.

I feel your plight as do,, from what I read,, a LOT of other players. I've posted in several threads but fall on deaf ears.. This problem came out a long time ago with another patch but they fixed it back then really fast....but when they went to DX11 . . . Guess what?. .

... Its baackkk. ...
    It's probably nothing big to fix . they either are not capable of fixing it, dont want to fix it,,, its not that important to them or there's just so many problems they are trying to undo from the patch debacle that they rushed out that it would be quicker to just REVERT pre patch and go back to Beta..
  20. Cairbrae Developer

Good news and bad news.

Good news is that windowing behavior is mostly fixed and the client will be able to launch in full screen mode again.

Bad news is that there are a couple of elusive bugs, including the subject of this thread, that are still being worked on.

Thanks for your patience.