Brand new PC/GPU, Video Card Not Capable

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Steadyenc, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Steadyenc New Member

I just got a new pc and it wont seem to load EQ. I get kicked from the launcher and get the massage that my video card is not capable of running EQ. New pc is a ryzen 7 3700x with a gigabyte rx5700xt gpu.

EQ will load with the stock windows video drivers(and runs like crap) but when I load the newest drivers from Radeon, EQ will not load and I get the message. Tried everything I can think of, and everything I could find to try. Should be able to run a 20yr old game on a $400 card. Please help!
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Couple things to try:

Do you have Direct X 9c? Yes there is one included in Direct X latest but it is not the right one. EQ is old and need the old 9C. This is the one you need: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

Here is some previous posts - have you tried any of this: esp the one where the poster "went from 17.10 to 17.7 and it now works just fine. I had checked to make sure i had the latest drivers but did not think to go back a version to test that."

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/video-card-not-capable-enough.244102/
  3. Steadyenc New Member

Im running windows 10, which is unsupported by direct x 9. when i download the installed it tells me to use an earlier version of windows (8,7, etc.). Also I run windows 10 on 3 other pc's and all 3 use the direct x that is downloaded when you download EQ.
  4. Sarkaukar Augur

Catspaw, that is an OLD direct 9c program, missing several years of direct 9c updates, stop it :)

The error is from the launchpad itself. It checks a file against what system info is available. If it does not match it will give that error. Sometimes bad or corrupted driver installs will have the system providing wrong information. And by default Windows 10 updates also include driver updates, which can furbar things.

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers, making sure to reboot as a double check.

And I believe the game will not patch with that error, so in the meantime copy the files one another computer then create and launch EQ to bypass the launchpad.

"C:\Program Files\Everquest\eqgame.exe" patchme

Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Steadyenc New Member

I have tried wiping everything and reloading drivers, even formatting and reloading a fresh OS, again. I tried copying the files from a different pc, but when i try to bypass the launcher I get the message "no 3d device found). Again, everything else works, tried all kinds of games and apps, EQ is the only thing that wont work.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Opps your right it should be the one from June posted in this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Which is referenced in post #11 from XXGriff (dated June 2019) a short quote of XXGriff's post he says "EQ will use the GPU as indicated by Windows (specifically DX). you must have the June 2010 Direct X re-distribution package (around 96mb download from Microsoft) as these were the latest/last to Direct X 9c and not included in ANY Windows OS.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/video-card-problem.249257/
  7. Steadyenc New Member

The message I get along with "video card not capable enough" is IDS_VIDEO:VendorID=0x1002,DeviceID=0x731F
  8. Sarkaukar Augur

New tech that might not been entered into the database/files for EQ. When the Device ID was originally submitted back in Nov 2018, it did not have any actual GPU attached to it except Nav 10. It could also be hitting off of some of the new features of the card.

https://community.amd.com/thread/241023

Have you copied a full version of the game to the new computer and utilized the shortcut to bypass the launchpad? This will be the telltale sign if the game will play or not.

It may either take an update from DBG or a new driver, or both.
  9. Sarkaukar Augur

And question, what CPU are you running? Have you installed the drivers for the built in GPU on the CPU? This usually entails connecting the monitor to that connection. You can also launch the game connected to that GPU for testing. iirc the last time I built a new system I had all sorts of fun getting the GPUs to work correctly in games, though it has been a couple of years...

Also make sure the Power Options is set to high performance. This should ensure the game is launching via aftermarket GPU and not the built-in GPU.

........\Everquest\LaunchPad.libs\Logs folder then look for Gamelauncher.log and post the contents. Will compare it vs what I have in my log.

I THINK I located where the CPU/GPU information is kept, requirements.txt in the Everquest\Resources folder. The last time that was updated was 6-11-19... Remember, the game is old... requirements would not necessarily be updated every patch.

I would also suggest putting in a ticket.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You do have to installed directx9 and there is a version of it that won't give you the error message about being the wrong version windows. I recently had to reformat a C drive went through the same thing. Either use the newer directx9 link in this thread or google directx 9 that works with windows 10. Think that is what I googled to get the right one.

My video card is a GTX 1080 Ti.
  11. xxGriff Augur

There may be issue with drivers as well. Has your Win 10 updated? and have you disabled Driver updates? Windows 10, unless prevented, will seek to update any/all drivers if it finds a "newer" driver in it's catalog. as mentioned above, grabbing the Full DX 9c (June 2010) re-dist package and having on hand if a good thing to do. Window 7,8/8/1 and yes 10 do NOT ship with a complete DX9c library. EQ and several other games from same period need these files. also reinstall your GPU driver package. Some time back, my brother had sim issue with EQ using an ATI HD GPU, and thru complete chance (desperation) he ran EQ_Setup.exe and this seemed to fix the error (NO 3D...) but the prob did arise again, and was again fixed (albeit temp). The DX9c files and full driver libs are req, as most if not all GPU made DX11+ use a type of emulation to preform DX9 calls, so re-installing/repairing those .dll's are important. has nothing to do with the relative newness, cost or "power" of a given GPU. if the files are absent or corrupted...it no work. GL to ya, hope you get into Norrath =)

Oh, AMD/ATI should have generated an installation report, I would suggest reading this report/log to make certain your drivers are/were installed correctly. My experience with GPU's manufactured from 2014+ and Windows 10 were/are all sensitive to installation/directories and req elevated/admin to execute properly.
    CatsPaws likes this.