Boxing Is The Plague Of EQ

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Efr3, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Zalphos Journeyman

If boxing was banned from the beginning, there would be more human beings playing today, and most people's gameplay experience would be better. Financially, it's more complicated. More accounts is not necessarily more money if it also drives away customers and worsens gameplay.

If it was banned this evening, yeah, EQ would collapse.
  2. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

You have no way of knowing that....

BOXING is a problem to YOU. And YOU are in a very small minority on that.

Boxing was never a problem to Brad McQuaid, He was once asked if players being allowed to play multiple characters was a mistake, he answered the only mistake he felt he had made with EQ was the concept of punishment for death, and that there was a few of the early developers that he KNEW would play multiple characters.
    25thAnniBaby, Vlahkmaak and Herf like this.
  3. Basak Augur

I would have quit in 1999 if I couldn't box.
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  4. jeskola pheerie

Since when is forcing yourself on others a good thing?
  5. CdeezNotes Augur

If this game was meant to involve grouping then any class that can effectively solo should be nerfed into oblivion based on your logic.

How do you expect someone to do anything in the game if they aren't efficient soloers and there's not many people available? Not play at all? Main change?
  6. Vlahkmaak Augur

The sad fact is we can box 2-6 toons more effectively than some of you can play a single toon.
    itiswhatitis likes this.
  7. Zalphos Journeyman

EQ really isn't that type of game. You're just alienating even more people. (This reply goes to a bunch of you posting in this thread.)
  8. Zalphos Journeyman

When people resort to boxing to deal with a shortage of grouping opportunities, it makes that lack of opportunities even worse.
  9. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

You start from a false premise....

You assume most boxers do so because of a lack of grouping opportunities.

Most boxers I know including my self enjoy playing two characters....and typically still group with 4 individuals sometimes two individual also 2 boxing...

People box from day one of a new TLP...and it has nothing to do with lack of groups.
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  10. Raytheon Augur

WAAAAAHHHHHH I want people to be forced to play the game the way I like to play the game.... WAHHHHHHHH! <Insert crying baby emoji>
  11. Zalphos Journeyman

I think most boxers do so so that they can accomplish a lot without having to rely on others. I think some people box because of lack of grouping.
  12. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

We agree in general here...

Most two boxers want to increase what they can successfully accomplish solo...Most (not all) will drop the box if a guild main logs in needing a group.

I think some is a small few...but okay...Most of these boxers came from old school EQ before TLP's and had characters well behind the main player base of their server.
  13. CdeezNotes Augur

That doesn't even make sense. If you box because nobody is around it's not going to make the situation worse.
    What type of game? One that forces people to cater to bads?

Nobody is stopping you from PUGing it up. Why are you trying to stop people from boxing? What issues does it cause you?
  14. jeskola pheerie

Newsflash: your perceived missed grouping opportunities are all in your head.
  15. Zalphos Journeyman

Main reason why boxing is harmful is cause it drives away some regular players. There is less harm when "nobody is around", but people who learn to box at the end of one server are likely to start boxing at the beginning of another.

I don't want to remove boxing from EQ, but there should be servers where people can avoid it.
  16. Basak Augur

It wouldn't last, or people will just box anyways.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You need to look at why people started boxing and why we got mercs.

Back in the day a lot of players created a boxed healer, groups cannot exist without one and there was a shortage. What happens to a group if they cannot get a healer? It falls apart.

The same happens on a TLP server, without those boxed healers and tanks and even pet tanks a lot of groups would not happen. You also used to find a lot of slowers outside the group.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Flexin Not an amateur

This is literally my autobiography in EQ. I started a rogue and couldn't get groups. I was anti-boxes in raids and didn't support them getting loot over a main. After wasting so much time and as people left the server I needed to come up with a solution to the problem. I got a healer box and then a beastlord with pet to tank. Next thing you know I'm a certifiable EQ boxer. People boxing has never been a problem to the immediate game. There's a place for solo players who need groups but the game has become a boxing game.

I think most people are afraid of change and that scares them but they should understand that the game has progressed over the course of 25 years and it's okay that other people don't play like you play.
  19. Rainbowbright Journeyman

lol, who is going to tell them? The worst thing about the servers without full strict TLP is that they all can now run the "mercenary" like automations on them. What you think that guys talking about, is just the tip of the iceberg. Its a whole new game in cheating in everquest and they aren't even remotely competing to remove it. They are still doing the wow strategy of mass bans in waves and it does nothing because of the free to play system and tradeable krono, if they really wanted to police it, they'd trace the krono that are used by the accounts.
  20. Scarredevolution New Member

Everytime I see anti boxing posts i just already know its someone that doesn't play past classic anyways once they get their PoSky, PoFear, PoHate fix.

Truebox does nothing to stop the people that are gonna bypass truebox, truebox does nothing but stop people who progress at their own rate without being at the mercy of being invited to a group.

As a 3 boxer myself that gives me the liberty to always have a readily available group I can just tell people "Hey come out to X zone I got space"

Truebox is the death of servers before they reach content thats actually good