best duo

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by krichton, May 4, 2013.

1. Hatsee Augur

It's probably mage, wizard, and then both with a healer merc, one of them you can probably grab the merc slots and grab a dps merc if you find that one healer is fine.
  2. fransisco Augur

2nd. This is so crazy overpowered its awesome.
    Shm +melee is a bad combo. It makes the melee a little better, but the shm is basically a buff bot.
    Sinestra likes this.
  3. Feradach Augur

Shaman + bard with a tank merc and a dps merc is pretty awesome too. Not a whole lot of level-appropriate stuff out there that I can't do with that setup.
  4. Dantibus New Member

Shadowknight, Shaman and Wizard merc, Wizard merc...
  5. Tachyon Augur

Abbott and Costello!
  6. Feradach Augur

You'd be much better off with melee mercs. Shaman buffs enhance melee, not casters, so you're leaving some DPS on the table.
  7. Charqule New Member

Did they upgrade melee mercs to be on par with caster mercs?
  8. Dantibus New Member

No they haven't upgraded the Melee ( Rogue ) DPS merc to be on par with the Caster ( Wizard ) DPS merc. even when I run SK / SHM / BRD ( Bard playing Melee song either way ) with 3 rogues vs 3 wizards the wizards win all day long. 3 Rogue setup usually yields 45-55k DPS on 2million hp mobs. The wizards usually get 10-15k over that even without the bard playing songs that would benefit them.
  9. Charqule New Member

Thanks...I have not pulled out my rogue mercs since early VoA when I switched to caster mercs.
  10. zomb54 Lorekeeper

Just had to log in and post my 2 coppers. Ranger + cleric merc + Mage + wizard merc.

My game is all about dps. Can I kill faster than x-named can kill me? Mage pet is more survivable than ranger tank. With macros and dps burns the ranger + wizard is the Thunder, the mage is the Whirlwind. Mage can dps but I mostly use him to support the cleric merc with Aegis of Kildrakun and all the other pet goodies like short term protection for tough mobs. Otherwise typical Lotd grind is:

rng: autofire + called shots + focused storm pew pew.
    mage: pet + companion's relocation + RS + malo; then chain nuke macro.
    wiz merc: burn
    cleric merc: efficient

Ranger can CC effectively with great roots: vinelash + fluster/blusterbolt, not to mention effective pulling tools like harmonius arrow, cover tracks, snare, call of hero. Pull, snare (14mins) all, cover tracks and a bunch of mobs are parked.

The real fun is the AA combos, I almost always have some kind of burn combo up. And the archery burn is simply insane dps. The drawback is the ranger is made of paper, he can emergency tank for 40 seconds with WeaponShield, but that's usually enough to resurrect a dead pet via suspend minion.

The dynamics makes ppl who join me and watch say, "wow you do that really well, and your not even that high level." avg 2k aa on each toon.

Fun meter: ---------------------------[]---.
    Did I convince you?
  11. krichton Elder

that sounds interesting. im totally confused right now with what to go with,though. a lot of people say pally and chanter. sk and shammy. three mages.lol.
  12. silku Augur

I think the answer is really relative to your play style. A mage + enchanter is going to give you a lot of control, pulling power, buffs, and a tank all in the two toons. Ranger + mage is going to give you good dps (chanter can do just as much if not more than a ranged ranger but you gotta concentrate on the chanter). A paladin is going to hold aggro better than an earth pet (better than any other class imo) but they don't tank as good until you get good gear.

How much work do you want to put into it? Do you want to pull and start shooting with a bow or pull and debuff? Do you want to work hard or hardly work?

The best bang for your buck I still say is chanter and mage. Charmed pets + dots + nukes from chanter, pet tanking + other pets + nukes from mage.
  13. krichton Elder

folks are always saying chanters can solo 1-100 easy. how? with certain aa and raid gear?
  14. silku Augur

I wouldn't say it's easy, but I do know it doesn't take raid gear. It involves charming for the most part, root rotting in the worst case. I didn't solo all the way, I grouped a lot too. It could be done solo though. Essentially you charm a pet, then send it at something, then assist the pet in killing. It gets easier, but isn't what I would call easy until 90+. At that point, it gets much easier.