Best dps class with the most utility?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by iamgreatness, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Sabriel Journeyman

Back to the OPs question, for solo utility and dps (and raid dps if you're good) then necros. For massive utility, as well as very good dps if played right, druid or enchanter (which imo are two of the most fun to play as well), and for awesome dps at the drop of a dime a wizard. Wizard+ well played enchanter is a great duo that can beat almost any group content in the game. If you make a wizard I have a nice guide I wrote, and my mains an enchanter so I may be biased, but I can help with them as well. If you prefer melee, then Rogues for great dps, or beastlords for a good combination of DPS and utility.
  2. Brogett Augur

A few points with this.

1) Rogues (and berserkers) are bugged with their AoEs. Devs admitted this, but I don't entirely understand why it hasn't been fixed yet. I sense that there will have to be some rebalancing later on when the fix happens.

2) Rogues (and again, berserkers) have negative impacts placed on them. Both have positional dependencies and both have disciplines with negative effects. We also have poorer mitigation and avoidance. Quite clearly therefore you cannot expect classes with self heals and superior tanking to be matching the glass cannons of the melee world. Again it's that Pareto Frontier idea - we're ahead on one thing, but behind on others. No class should ever be ahead in all cases, and we're not in that situation either. YOU may only value dps and absolutely nothing else, but if so then I put it to you that you rolled the wrong class when you chose a hybrid.

3) Rogues are indeed mostly under disc, thanks to knifeplay, but do not confuse under disc with meaning high burn dps. Our knifeplay dps is nice, but our non-disc dps is so dire we *NEED* a disc to match sustained-without-disc of other classes.

In summary, yes rogues are in a nice place at the moment, but it's irrelevant given the OP asked for a combination of DPS and utility. Rangers and monks shouldn't be competing with rogues anyway as you serve a different niche; it's the more robust more versatile dps niche. I happen to think you're doing OK. If you happen to be in a guild that values DPS only and absolutely nothing else then that isn't IMO a problem with the class, but instead a problem with the guild.
    Qest T. Silverclaw likes this.
  3. Shang Augur

When is the last time you recruited a ranger to raid due to their tanking prowess?

Raids are one dimensional for the class. TDS does not change this. To focus on anything other than DPS is to set yourself up for mediocrity.

My class serves as something you settle for when unable to recruit someone playing your class.
    Riou likes this.
  4. Sheaffer Augur

Auspice has to count for something
  5. Shang Augur

It counts for 3% melee crit rate.
  6. code-zero Augur

I remember 6 wizard murder squads, you don't see those anymore though it'd be easy enough with [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. That'd be the hot setup if ADPS was irrelevant and DPS was all that mattered.
  7. Hatsee Augur

Mages I think, or is it wizards now? Those things still exist though...
  8. Shang Augur

Mages if you don't want to run tanks. Wizards if you want to kill anything.
  9. Silentchaos Augur

ADPS doesn't really matter for wizards.
  10. Sheaffer Augur

How do you figure?
  11. Sancus Augur

ADPS absolutely does matter for Wizards, but it's much more important the further a fight extends. For the first 90-ish seconds of a fight, Wizards can put up all of the essential mods for a burn (250% crit damage mod, 100% crit rate, stuff like that). They benefit from things like Amp Aura, Wildspark, and skin to seedlings (and Auspice) here, but to a much lesser extent than other classes benefit from the other ADPS abilities available (Mages need IoG and Auspice, for example). Moving forward from this point, Wizard abilities begin to run out. As their crit rate falls below 100% (PD -> AD) and their various other mods either expire or decrease in potency (down to 175% crit damage mod from 250%), they benefit more from ADPS. Once all of their short term mods wear off (somewhere 5 or 6 ish minutes into a fight), they receive a huge benefit from ADPS.
  12. Knard The Strategic Tactician

Beastlord is making a huge comeback IMO.
    I've been playing one more focused the past year and I'll tell you, my DPS is improving substantially than I ever imagined. They have a great range of abilities for combat, and a nice line of spells end-game for spam casting due to their low cast time and recharge. Plus a pet, with a nice set of buffs for them, and a pet-burn.

You can definitely have a lot of fun with a beastlord.
  13. Mykaylla Augur

Even if you did, you'd want them using twincast and amplifying auras and keeping you in single target MR anyway!
  14. Silentchaos Augur

Well it was a conversation about group content. Having more than 1 support class in any group is a waste and in all circumstances you're better off replacing that 1 support class with another wizard.
  15. Silentchaos Augur

For dps that is.
  16. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

So, the ultimate group, as far as you're concerned, is Wizard x5 and a support class?

I don't see them getting anywhere in PoWar.
  17. Sancus Augur

You can easily achieve 3 support classes in groups. Druid as your healer w/ WS/BW, Ranger for DPS+Auspice+their other niche abilities, Enchanter for CC+ADPS? It does depend on what content you're in, but I think in end game zones it wouldn't be uncommon to have 2 (or even 3) of those classes. Any one of these will boost wizard DPS notably, especially after 90 seconds into whatever you're doing.

If you look at wizards compared to, for example, zerkers, ADPS is relatively less relevant. But it still plays a very important factor in the group game.
  18. Silentchaos Augur

pal/clr/wiz/wiz/wiz/wiz game over
  19. Silentchaos Augur

Sure, you *CAN*. You can also replace the ranger/ench with 2 wizards and the groups gonna do more damage.

If you have War/clr/3x melee in a group youre gonna do more damage by adding a bard or shaman rather than another melee. If you have War/clr/3x magician in a group youre gonna do more damage by adding an enchanter rather than another magician. If you have war/clr/3x wizard in a group, though, youre gonna do more damage by adding another wizard.
  20. Sancus Augur

Well the original statement you made was "ADPS doesn't really matter for wizards." It sure as hell does. Whether the benefit they get outweighs having another wizard is a different question. If the world revolved around damage, you're mostly correct. If you're running Gribble HAs, there's probably no reason at this point in time to trade out a wizard for another class. However, I see no reason to choose a cleric over a Druid, who provide significant increases to wizards. If you move into less easy/mindless content, damage is no longer your only consideration. If anything needs to be mezzed, you're going to add an enchanter. Will this result in more damage than another wizard? Probably not. Will the wizards in the group currently benefit from the Enchanter's ADPS? Yes. So does ADPS matter for wizards? Yes it does.