Best DPS Class Choices for early eras

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hateseeker, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

That was certainly true on Fippy, however they did add the dot component to prevent them stacking, has that been removed?
  2. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

Aye, I played a monk on Fippy, during classic, on contested raid targets our dps was poor compared to pets as the mobs died so fast. The Plane of Sky was the only place that mobs lasted long enough for Monk damage to be significant, and even in Sky there were some fights where pets were preferred (Overseer of Air) because of the huge amount of damage he did.
  3. Hateseeker Augur

I'm going to create a couple of characters on vox to play around a bit/refamiliarize.

I've never played a pet class - on raids, how difficult is mage pet management to get used to? I don't remember what era(s) it was in but I do remember a lot of mages getting yelled at over pets!
  4. Ducreux Augur

Classic mage has like 2 spells to cast aside from summoning the pet and casting Burnout. They got the time to back the pet off should the need arise.
  5. Ultrazen Augur

So I just spent the last week or so leveling different combos of classes in classic gear and no mercs.

All I can say is....mages...holy cow. Just from a speed perspective, the difference in trying to level a monk/druid up vs a mage/druid is staggering. Mage pets are just ridiculously powerful in classic. From level 2 you can solo yellow cons with a mage, in zero gear, and do it in about 6 seconds. It's going to be possible to level a mage very very quickly.

Melee classes, even monks, being so god awful horrible the first 20 levels or so really makes the early game incredibly tedious. I'd still say monk by a mile for a melee class, but mage just leaves everything else in the dust, and by a huge margin.

At least as a first character/farmer, it seems impossible to beat mage at this point.

I really need to organize a 3 mage, chanter, cleric, druid party.
  6. Mezrah Augur

Mages are indeed very strong, alas the mage epic, doing Kedge Keep every day for the item from Phini is enough to put me off them...
  7. Weverley Augur

I personally love how necro works with all his dots but it shines more on long fight while mage shines in short fights.Also many say use ht from sk but the cooldown is horrific im wondering how many sk they would need to have if theres many mobs or if people r talking about using ht only on named or something like that.
  8. Hateseeker Augur

How would monk/mage work? I still haven't decided what class I want to do, lol...if I don't make a cleric, no rez. If I don't do a SoW class, I have to get jboots. But then, monk can FD so I can avoid needing rezzes so much...and round and round my self-argument goes...
  9. Ducreux Augur

It'd be like soloing on a monk but with more DPS. The mage can at least summon you bandages to bind wound yourself so it's not the worst way to duo, it's just not as efficient as say a mage/healer and using the pet to tank.
  10. Ultrazen Augur

Mage/Druid, by a country mile. SNARE...is huge in classic, as are ports, heals, SoW, harmony pulls. Druid/Mage is one of the best classic 2 boxes there is. I just spent the last couple of weeks making duos and playing by classic gear rules and no mercs. Druid/Mage can chain kill yellows and level extremely fast.

You could also do Monk/Druid, but it's a much slower start. All melee classes absolutely suck the first 20 levels or so, the mage/druid will be 50 by the time you hit 30 on a melee/druid team.

Snare, run speed, and ports/evacs are all absolutely huge in classic.
  11. Hateseeker Augur

I'm kind of planning ahead. Going from personal memory and looking back at various forums talking about class DPS over the past 16 years, seems like the high hit point mobs of Velious/Luclin will give the advantage to monks/rogues?

How did DPS races go with Luclin mobs? Did the presence of of multiple guilds cause the mob to die before the mana ran out?
  12. The Flash Lorekeeper

You can play a rogue from launch to current and do well with minimal effort of syncing.
    Monks do very well early and can tank for a while, fall off later.
    Hybrids do well the more expansions you have access to, certain ones shine before others.
    Casters do well from launch, necro/mage can be competitive forever. Wizard takes a few AA expansions to catch up after velious.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.