Bard Math Help

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Velicenda, May 21, 2020.

1. Velicenda New Member

Hey y'all. Did some number crunching earlier to try and figure out the values of various singing modifications, and I'm hoping someone can double check my math or point out anything that I've done wrong. Was trying to see if the Shadowsong Cloak from Akheva was worth dropping Amplification from my song rotation due to its 90% boost, but... I'm finding it's not a 90% boost.

Here's my math:

Did I mess up any math? I can't imagine that it's right, since the Harmonize passive AA (unlocked by the Shadowsong Cloak) shows a 90% increase, but my rough test only shows a 53% increase. Jonthan's Provocation -should- be +49-50 attack to be a 90% increase, according to my math. Amplification's first pass is sitting exactly where it should be according to the tooltip, at +80%.
  2. Troutfest Augur

Are you using your 1.0 epic by chance also? before any other mods?
  3. Troutfest Augur

4. svann Augur

I cant tell if this is a factor in your conundrum, but want to make sure you know that your cloak clickie wont benefit from any song or gear focus. No clickies do, and this messes up many maths.

If thats not it then nm.
  5. Velicenda New Member

*cough* Yup, I am using my 1.0. Thank you!
  6. Velicenda New Member

I think what I didn't realize is that the Amplification song blocks the passive AA from doing anything. They really should add a line to the spell gem :p
  7. Szilent Augur

not blocks, per se? just "the best one works". like haste buffs, and worn focuses, etc
  8. Nniki Augur

Amplification has 2: Inhibit Effect: Singing Amplification (AA). SPA 382 is Suppression. Otherwise, I'd imagine they'd stack.
  9. Nniki Augur

Amplification will be 80% at L55:

(FLOOR(55/8) + 2) / 10 = 0.8

But as you've found out above, your epic is modifying it.

You're essentially seeing this (with some off-by-ones):

Base (1.0) + Epic (0.8)
    15 * 1.8 = 26

Base (1.0) + Epic (0.8) + Amp (1.4)
    15 * 3.2 = 47

Base (1.0) + Epic (0.8) + Amp x2
    15 * 4.2 = 62 (Max)

Base (1.0) + Epic (0.8) + Harmonize (0.9)
    15 * 2.7 = 40
    Sancus likes this.
  10. Szilent Augur

ahh, they had to fake it! probably shenanigans because:bards.
    Elyssanda and svann like this.
  11. NottaBard Journeyman

Whether it's worth dropping Amp depends on the rest of your gear and AA. Even in PoP you need a lot of gear and AA to get to get near cap without Amp. Since Amp will amp itself up to cap you can get away with no gear or AA mods as long as you keep Amp up often enough, so it's basically all or none.

The basic formula I found is:
    Effect = SongBase * (1.0 + TotalMod)
    TotalMod = [ItemMod or Puretone]/10 + [IM# or SM#]/5 + Clicky/10 + Amp

Epic, SM3, VotS = 0.8+0.6+0.6 = 2.0
    Epic, SM3, SSC = 0.8+0.6+0.9 = 2.3
    Songblade, SM3, VotS = 1.5+0.6+0.6 = 2.7
    Songblade, SM3, SSC = 1.5+0.6+0.9 = 3.0
    Anything+Amp = 3.2 (cap during PoP)

IMO you need Songblade AND Shadowsong Cloak before dropping Amp. If your resists from gear are really good you can probably get away with Songblade and Voice of the Serpent though. Any box bard around that era should just run a melody with Amp in it like /melody 1 2 3 4 5 2 8 3 4 2 5 1 3 2 4 5 where 1=Amp, 2=PoV, 3-5=Muse/Marr/Zek, 8=Selo's.
    Wulfhere likes this.