As an alternative to free trade

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pallydan, Oct 16, 2023.

1. Pallydan New Member

Why not just implement raid currency for all content prior to it being a thing? Instead of a loot pinata, more like letting every participant pick and choose their loot?
    jeskola likes this.
  2. Ghaleon Journeyman

In the words of the great Alexis Schitt - "Eww David!"
  3. jeskola pheerie

Best idea I've heard in awhile to be honest.
    B0HICA likes this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

A few of us have been championing the retroactive adding of raid currencies to older expansions for years, its a good idea but it does have resistance from some players and it would be a lot of extra work for the devs to build out the item lists the currencies would use.
    Barton likes this.
  5. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

Champion harder because this server idea sounds like a lot of fun.

Regular TLP rules = Guild kills Phinny 10+ times, and maybe one mage staff drops.
    Raid Currency TLP rules = Guild kills Phinny 10+ times, and each mage is guaranteed to have enough currency to buy a staff.

Both rulesets might result in the same amount of kills required to loot a staff, but at least the raid currency ruleset has a definitive number. The mages know how many times they must attend the raid in order to achieve their goal.
  6. Pallydan New Member

i know it's a lot of work. But so was coding mischief (i assume). The raid currency from classic through VoA or whatever...would reduce so much CSR, reduce krono farmer profitability (assuming they keep items nodrop). And if done properly, they could speed up unlocks of expansions and shorten the 6+ years it takes to go from classic to live.

Imagine 1 month expacs (combine LDoN with PoP, Omens+DoN, DoDH+PoR), proportional currency given out...shorten classic-live to 2.5 years?

I would even argue the plat economy would be relatively stable due to the quick unlocks and maybe the tradeskillers might suffer some. But that's really the only downside i can think of outside of some not wanting that pace, which is understandable.

I digress...at the end of the day, instead of tweaking loot drops, devs can tweak one variable...the raid currency to be proportional to speed of expansion unlocks.
  7. Litoeon Lorekeeper

I had to finally log in and say .... Y'all gotta stop with the whole "It's too much work or they don't have enough devs".
    B0HICA likes this.
  8. jeskola pheerie

I would stop, but it's too much work and I don't have enough devs.
  9. Nerfedagain New Member

I support this idea, but we really don't need anymore dead end currencies. Seperate from the raid vendor I'd like to see if they could implement a way to move the currency forward or convert it to something useful. They could utilize some sort of special vendor who sells ornaments or consumables and where Original Tokens convert to "Special Vendor" tokens 1 for 1, Kunark currency converts to Special Vendor tokens 1 for 5, Velious tokens to special tokens 1 for 10, etc etc
    Pallydan likes this.
  10. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

This is actually really cool idea. Turn in your old raid gear for currency that is tradeable to buy/sell raid gear of your choosing. Only for past expansions though. One currency, Just add a vendor for each raid zone. Only make no trade loot purchasable so people can't turn raid gear into tradeable raid gear and profit for krono. It would only make krono lording even worse.

I wouldn't want to see loot currency on current content. that is a modern expansion thing and I hate it.
  11. HighElfPlayer Journeyman

I logged in to reply specifically to your comment. I honestly haven't played EQ for years, but occasionally read the forums to get updates on the game.
    I don't think its necessarily about having enough developers, I honestly think the developers they have, or at least most of them, are extremely incompetent. I haven't seen a single major update that didn't have major flaws or issues in it. They can't even increase the same stats for the cookie cut equipment from expansion to expansion. Overseer is a glorified idle game/ timer game and they still have major bugs and flaws in that system.
    I am curious about this new class thing mentioned. But I don't have any hopes that it will be ready for release in December, or at least without lots of issues. I kind of hope they allow this change for all servers, but I doubt they would do it.
  12. toxicsmell Journeyman

its called free trade. and the currency is platnium. the vendors are called offline merchants. everything you want is already in place on mischeif.
    Aziuno and code-zero like this.
  13. Aziuno Augur

Those of you asking for raid currency, did you ever play expansions where it was a thing? Both here, circus-circus and WoW it really takes the enjoyment out of the rarer drops happening.

If you want a middle ground between free trade and this, I would suggest championing for a server that is all attunable gear.

Just make all gear attunable on a server instead of No-Drop.
    Bonus would be they could make some extra money on un-attuners if people wanted to re-sell.
  14. ForumBoss Augur

I don't mind this idea, but I don't see it as an alternative to free trade, they go together well. Tradeable currency is great for gearing boxes if you raid on a different character. This seems like a lot of work though, since they'd have to come up with prices, vendors and currencies for thousands of items.
  15. Overcast451 Augur

That's my thing about it. When you see that "one item" drop - all of the sudden there's tension... and then.. 'Victory!!!' for someone. It's not always me. That's ok.

In WoW, with the loot bags after the random dungeons, it just wasn't as exciting to be honest.

Games like WoW end up being so cookie cutter in the end. It's not "look at the cool gear so and so has" or awe in seeing some of the geared people. It's "You need this whole set to..."

Then the whole concept of gear gets to become a grind since there is an expectation that you will have "X" gear. Not even just in terms of stats, but SPECIFICALLY "X" gear.

I do like WoW a bit - but more for the lore and environment than the actual gameplay to be honest.

Problem is there is just a simple ratio between 'challenge' and the feeling of reward for pulling it off. I think that's why old EQ seemed a bit 'different'. Surmounting various challenges provides a sense of accomplishment. No challenge = no feeling of accomplishment.

Oh, so you have the same gear every other Hunter in the raid has? Good!

Elder Scrolls online was WAY worse too. I could login to that game now with a new character and be completely geared out in an hour without swinging my weapon a single time. That's no lie. Find a dolmen, join the group, do nothing - get levels and gear. That's just too... processed down.

I think an idea like this would be a good one, if the raid currency existed in parallel to the traditional drops. For 'similar' gear that's maybe not quite as good as the boss drop - but still serviceable. More similar to how LDoN gearing works.
  16. FranktheBank Augur

No, what takes away my enjoyment (both in EQ and in WoW) was raiding for weeks and weeks and never having my item even drop for a chance to obtain it. You can look at current WoW, with the legendary evoker staff. There was major outrage about how rare it was and the failsafe wasnt even until 12 weeks.
    Skuz and ForumBoss like this.
  17. CdeezNotes Augur

I can agree with both sentiments. I think the over abundance of what raid currency has become removed a lot of enjoyment in modern raiding. Having enough currency to gear your entire char without ever needing to even look at the drops is dumb. Having enough raid currency to get those few rarer items is a good thing. Also, having included chase items locked behind achievements is awesome too (RoF chase items as an example).
  18. WeCameWeConquered Elder

Because free trade is so much better, making this a bad idea. Next.
  19. Dixa Augur

the op didn't say EVERYTHING had to be on that vendor. multi-class uber pieces could still be boss drop only.

this would however remove the enticement non raiding, deep wallet players have for playing on that server though.
  20. Flexin Not an amateur

Not often do the forums offer a decent idea but I feel like this is a good one.

Kill Vulak 8-10 times in Velious and maybe get 1 or 2 Abashii's staves. Continue to farm once the content is trivial for 1 group/solo.
    or
    Put the price to 250 TOV shekels and allow monks a cancel magic item prior to omens?

Scepters of Destruction available via vendors. Epic drops from Kunark. Would effectively put some of those Krono farmers out as well since they would be less valuable to epic items.

Good idea. They should get Qwalla on it, she seems like she enjoys a good coding challenge.