Archery Dead Zone

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raptour_MT, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Noobi_wan New Member

You want realism in a game with dragons and magic? Seriously? Who cares what an arrow does in real life, other than you?

I agree, it's an outdated mechanic that needs to go away.
  2. Maedhros High King

One of the very best things about a ranger is that you can choose to sit back and plunk arrows or stand in there to melee given the needs of each situation.

Changing the need to make a choose would be a crying shame.
    Why not take it a step further, allow rangers to melee from 60 feet away? Because thats stupid.

You have to decide to sneak in to kick and possibly miss the round of archery and thats how it should be.
  3. Arkanny Augur

Since this is the salty ranger thread im going to chime in and say it think its BS that EQ doesnt affect shadowspike arrows.
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  4. Randragon Augur

Like I said before, just make it activate off our archery as well as our kick. Leave the dead zone where it is....dead.
  5. Ruven_BB Augur

Given that rogues can back stab from the front with an aa, any arguments about true bowing are moot. No other class has a dead zone penalty, its time to fix it. Or if the coding is so difficult with archery, at minimum extend our synergy, kick jolt, etc so we don't lose damage trying to be in melee range and bow at the same time.

Ruven
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  6. Xeladom Augur

Letting rangers use their bow from melee range would be like letting everyone carry 10 bags and crates of gear/weapons/items while wearing plate armor. It would surely ruin my fantasy immersion.
    Jhenna_BB and Tallie like this.
  7. Maedhros High King

You dont have a penalty, you have options.
    Rogues only do max with their BS while from the behind am I correct?
    The range limit with archery is the same for all classes that can use bows.
    Kicking from 50 or 150 feet away is dumb.
    Ranger dps with melee is quite nice, while no other class can say they have good archery dps except rangers.
    No, just no.
  8. segap Augur

We only backstab 100% of the time from the back. It's a chance from the front, otherwise, just an additional normal attack. Attacking from the front is about a 20% loss in overall dps. Personally wish they'd never added the frontal skill. Big backstabs were reward for keeping position and should have remained thus.
  9. Bard_Bard Journeyman

Id rather give everybody a summon aa that summons a random ranger from server to throw at a npc as a corpse. We all know rangers are just speed bumps anyways.....
  10. Orienn TreeHugger

To be fair increasing the range of jolting kick not only helps us out it helps us provide adps to the group so while most of you are and moaning that we just want it for ourselves why don't you look and see what our synergy AA does.
  11. Ruven_BB Augur

I appreciate having "options" I would just like them to work better. Fortunately for casters, they have the option of casting close, or casting from afar.

Most cases its more dangerous to be close to a mob, as rangers we are asking to allow us to be closer while we use bow damage. My only comment is if they haven't made the change because of difficulty working with code, then extend out our abilities so that we are not doing zero damage when a mob shifts 5 ft.

And Maedhros, you can argue that everyone has the option to do no damage, but doing zero damage isn't what dps is supposed to be doing.

Ruven
  12. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

You are trying to compare apples to oranges. The bottom line is if I notch an arrow and pointed it at something less than a foot away from the front of it when the string parts way with the arrow it going to hurt something badly. If I swing a sword from 60 feet away its not even going to wind a target. There in lies the difference.
  13. Maedhros High King

Did I miss the patch where melee can swing at mobs as far away as rangers can shoot arrows?
  14. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You're missing the point - and there is a penalty. It's yellow text that says "you can't hit your target from here" while you try to judge where jolt kick and focused squal of blades can hit. Your before mentioned objection to Rogues having a penalty isn't really valid. They can do their damage without adjusting position for those times they can't stand behind a mob because they'll agro an add for example. To miss out on giving your group on raids Synergy hurts given how important dps is nowadays because everything has to be a dps check for some reason.
  15. Maedhros High King

My main alt is a ranger, I am not missing the point. It sucks to have to find the correct couple of inches where you can use archery but still kick.
    You have to CHOOSE whether the increase in your personal dps with archery is worth possibly missing the kick synergy for the entire group.
    No other dps class can switch between melee and ranged dps as easily and with such powerful effect as a ranger. An easy button that makes you kick from super far range or be able to shoot arrows from normal kick range is totally unnecessary and only further dumbs down an already extremely easy class to play.
    Should my paladin be able to bash when I am 100 feet away shooting arrows? heck no!
    Should a rouge be able to backstab when they are 100 feet away shooting arrows or throwing rocks or whatever they decide to do? heck no!
    I can see the point that archery should physically be possible from a distance of a few inches away, but I think you guys are forgetting this is a video game, limitations exist for the sake of gameplay.
    The moon is not really full of snakes.
  16. Sindaiann Augur

The moon is full of rouges
  17. catcattank Elder

Getting a long range kick would be one way of solving the problem but it has no precedent, what would some other ways of solving it be? (assuming that it is a problem in the first place) What classes would suffer from them making a universal hit box that was not dependent on mob size?
  18. smash Augur

As with so many things in life, you have some options, go melee and be able to kick, or use range and not be able to kick.

We all gotta choose between things.

You have option of changing between melee/range, nobody else can do that like rangers. Thats make rangers Unique, and I wouldn't want it any way.

Would I like to be able to do it, sure, but then it not class wise good.

You have to find out, is the loss of dps from you doing melee, bigger than what you would get out of range, and in calculate how much does the other in your Group gain from you doing melee. If total from what others gain, vs what you lose, then you go melee, otherwise you stay range.

As some probably said b4, its not you alone in a raid, but the total of the teams.
  19. Orienn TreeHugger

I don't have to be up close at min/max for bowing to make a good parse I just do it so my group does more damage. Jolting kick does close to nothing to terms of reducing aggro, specially at the rate at which we gain it, and it's been that way for years. This expansion brought back bowing as a viable option to compete with melee for dps like it was many years ago.
  20. Thraine Augur

DBG should know since they made our ranged dps stronger than our melee that most will go that route ... and then give us a synergy that procs from a melee kick is kind of a slap in the face.

Making jolting/enraging kick a longer distance, like catcat said, is prolly the best way so you dont have people crying about us ranging from melee range.

This is all assuming anyone cares about rangers, which they dont lol does anyone remember when a mob was against a wall, arrows wouldn't land .. took the devs like 3-4 years to fix that one iirc