Archery Dead Zone

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raptour_MT, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Raptour_MT Elder

For 17 years we have dealt with the Archery Dead zone, but I feel it is time for this to disappear. Even Dungeon's & Dragon's (yes, pen and paper D&D) finally removed the penalty for archers in melee combat, it's time for Everquest to step up and change this as well. I've had my issues with it over the years but with EoK I find myself believing that this finally needs to go the way of the dodo.

Things I have noticed:
    -It will change depending on the mobs hit box and hit boxes vary by size more than you would think.
    -With the zones becoming smaller and with more confined spaces to work with in setting up camps the dead zone just punishes players even more.
    -with the new synergies the deadzone becomes even more of an issue. They boosted the Ranger's archery damage this expansion but for us to utilize our synergy we need to be within 50 range. With the varying size of hitboxes there are some mobs where I am too close to shoot my bow but too far away to fire my synergy ability, and then this goes back to my second issue, places like droga, chardok and labs can be confining.

I understand changing this could have an impact on the TLP servers, so perhaps just give us an AA to remove the dead zone, call it point blank shot or some such. Imagine if there was a deadzone for spells and if you were too close you couldn't nuke the target. This is a quaility of gameplay issue that I and many others would like to see addressed.
  2. Randragon Augur

Orrrrrrrrr, even better have it fire off our kicks and archery abilities? That would be best.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Orienn TreeHugger

I support this, in Rift you can shoot an arrow at point blank range. Hell even Legolas in LotR did it why can't we?! :mad:
    Gyurika Godofwar and Thraine like this.
  4. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Sounds like a good idea for 2017 quality of life improvements mentioned in Holly's Letter :)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Reducing the distance a little I could maybe see but removing it? No. Even Legolas tended to stab a mob with an arrow if anything if that up close. Besides there are all sorts of limitations on various classes we could start removing if we went down that path.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Orienn TreeHugger

Ok so then let us use our Jolt/Enraging kicks from a farther distance?
  7. Repthor Augur

if we remove rangers this whould be a non issue
    Sindaiann and Kravn like this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Request denied.
  9. Evil.Iguana Elder

That sounds like a lot of work. What if we just keep screwing them over till they all quit?
    Nandary Griefs likes this.
  10. Repthor Augur

DEAL!
  11. Orienn TreeHugger

Lol and who are you? Just a forum warrior step aside so we can get some things actually changed for the better.
  12. Orienn TreeHugger

You love us don't lie!
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

It is called "ranged combat" for a reason :)
    Azbaelus likes this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heh heh I am the paladin of all paladins. Also be apprised that Daybreak has listened to me and all paladins will hence forth get wizard nukes, all ports, and warrior discs. rea

P.S. Ok.... not really.
  15. Orienn TreeHugger

We should come together to get change made rather than denounce others you don't play, being salty gets you no where #Allclassesmatter!
  16. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I gave up years ago trying to be positive on these boards. Nothing you post here matters anyway as no Dev will ever respond or address a post on this board.
  17. Orienn TreeHugger

They'll respond to close a thread or ban someone with the quickness though
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Incorrect. At 33 seconds into this cut you see him shooting a orc right in the face from a foot.

19. Bigstomp Augur

There is no dead zone. Good rangers step into melee range and get things done. Bad rangers autofire and get too close to autofire.
  20. Tvarian Augur

Since it takes 10-12 yards for an arrow to stabilize in flight in order to take an accurate shot, I could see them removing the dead zone, but then greatly reducing the damage done within that zone. Or just leave it as is.