Another returning Player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Iluy, May 15, 2016.

1. Iluy New Member

KK, so I played 14 years back (not 15), friends I worked with got me into these games, EQ was my first. And like many I left for "greener pastures" but I'm back and have 1 or 2 really silly questions I think.
    1) I play 2 accounts, I rolled a heroic Druid and Heroic Necro (after playing both from level 1 to-40ish) and I'm in The Dream and I'm killing singles ok but it's tough, doable, but tough...Tank Merc helps but Druid doing lots of healing constantly...what am I doing wrong here?
    Example: Leave camp for the lizard guys, Necro sees a snake or 2, kills no problem (they're dark blue to me). See a Lizard, he attacks, the Tank Merc takes over and dies in seconds, Druid can't keep him up, so Lizard attacks Necro...Necro lays down full set of spells, but taking massive damage, Druid keeps me up though and we kill it. If two lizards attack, it's lights out for both.
    2) killed around 20-30 mobs and I don't see any XP gain...really?? Am I missing something or is XP at 85 so brutal slow in a "group (2 players, 2 mercs) (like it was for me at level 65 14 years back) that it's just a total grind fest?
    3) Do I gear my Merc and Necro Pet (can't see how to do this) and what gear, where do I get and best place?
    Fun game like I remember but wow, I feel I'm going backwards here.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Iluy New Member

Edit: Ok, duh! My pet can wear gear (google is my friend). So from above, where/what gear do I give it so it's a viable companion at 85? Bazaar would seem high, and I read about wizard/mage summoned gear but have no knowledge...
    And same for Merc gear.
    Again, Thanks in advance.
  3. Borek-VS Augur

First thing: there is a difference between "weak cons" (e.g. Feerrott snakes) and normal (most lizard men). A big difference.

Feerrott is tough for Heroic characters; they are weakly geared and a little low level for it. However, you have to play there for the J5 merc upgrade (you have done that, right? - all weak con mobs) and for the heroic augs. Swap to the House of Thule zone first, and do the quests there.

Grind exp is slow now, at higher levels. Make sure that you do the daily quests from Franklin Teek in Plane of Knowledge, and consider doing Heroic Adventures; the kill exp is nothing, but the quest exp reward is huge.
  4. Borek-VS Augur

Part 2, pets.

You want a earring with a pet focus (Enhanced Minion); the heroic gear should give you one, but look for an upgrade in the Bazaar, that should be a high gear priority. The necro should be using the swarm pet spells a lot, I think you may start to get them that low; if not, well, when you do get them, they help a lot.

Magicians make pet gear; you can ask for some, or buy in the Bazaar (maybe). You want the haste mask mainly, but the rest helps a little. You can give the pet Defiant gear, some of which you get from the daily quests.

Mercs are almost pets, too - if you have a sub, make sure you are using J5 mercs. Tanks can be rather pathetic, even J5, but you might want to consider two caster dps mercs on burn. It is risky, and you need to pay attention, but it keeps the adrenaline flowing (and helps a lot with exp, too).
  5. Iluy New Member

I have the J1 Merc's from PoK givers, can try the 2 casters think. The druid is ok keeping the group up, except as noted with multiple mobs. I was actually doing the J5 quest when I kept getting the Lizard guys.

I also got all the other quests from that zone, I heard they were for Augments but one is for killing the Lizard guys, that's kind of why I posted as that will be VERY hard at my current sate. I can try HoT though and see.

I have some Defiant gear, will try that on pet. And the dailies/Adventures was something I didn't think about but will do those.

Thanks for the insight and reply!
  6. Borek-VS Augur

The lizard men needed for the J5 quest are all weak cons - Dreamwalkers, I think. The normal zone quests are a lot tougher, and those give the Heroic augments, plus a little experience. The House of Thule quests also reward with augments, and the kill quests at the zone entry are much easier.
  7. Iluy New Member

Is there any Merc gear worth buying? Nothing in Bazaar, and checking google but not getting much luck.
    ANd I'm in the Ethemere Tainted West Karana, looking for the Heroic Adventures. The giver is clear across the zone and everything cons RED to me...is this correct? Not even sure how to proceed over there...arrgghhh
  8. Rhodz Augur

Dont waste time on that stuff.

Biggest boost is the J5 quest just watch the adds.
  9. Iluy New Member

1) I have the J5 quests done now. HoT is a bit hard unless I just grind snakes/dogs endlessly. Is there anywhere else to grind XP (excluding the Hot Zone dailies)?
    2) I tried to get the the Heroic Adventurer quest giver, he's clear across the zone and everything cons red, any suggestions on how to get there safely?
  10. Rhodz Augur

11. Iluy New Member

Ok, so there's a MUCH easier way to get to Guard Hamarn that doesn't include running zone to zone and then clear across the Ethemere Tained West Karana zone. It took a little google (my friend) help and some digging but I found it...
    POK -> Cresant Reach -> Stone Hive -> Bixie Warfront (Portal) -> Ethemere Tained WK (Portal).
  12. Yimin Augur

Your pet will be more tough then merc, merc have been nerfed into total garbage ,,, get a friendly mage summon you pet items ,and use one dps and one healing merc ....

Yi Min