Agnarr's Irrational Hatred of Boxers

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Elentari of Agnarr, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elentari of Agnarr New Member

It's unfortunate that some supposedly grown-up mens' happiness is contingent upon how other mature human beings choose to spend their time in a (gasp) video game. The attitude on Agnarr towards boxers is one of spite and hatred. I am told on a daily basis that they would like to see me banned, even when I have committed no offense against them. I am told that I am responsible for "ruining the game." Many of them petition me for "boting" and "playing from one computer," without understanding what they are talking about. I feel like I am constantly being falsely petitioned on this server for "alleged" offenses and simply because anybody can abuse the petition system and say anything they want without any repercussions. I spoke to a GM today and he said he would "make a note for the others that he had checked upon me today." This is ludicrous. This means they anticipate me being petitioned repeatedly today simply because the players can and will abuse the petition system whenever and however they want. Apparently most players on Agnarr don't realize that it's easy to box in the 21st century, even on a "True Box" server. For less than a thousand dollars you can easily add 5 laptops to your existing desktop. Many of them don't show us basic decency and respect. They dispel our pets. Train us when we go into dungeons. And send us random hate tells. Then they hate us for killing "too many mobs" when trying to level up at seafuries, because we were trained in the indoor zones repeatedly and told we were not welcome. They threaten to report us for the slightest offense or simply for trying to breath Norrath's free air. Today I saw a player at seafuries have 2 adds spawn on top of him, so I killed the mobs to relieve some pressure off him. He accused me of "stealing his mobs" and then said he was reporting me for everything under the sun. Said player died 15 minutes later from mobs spawning on top of him, which I did not assist him with this time. He "hopes I get banned," naturally.

People forget that boxers are human beings too that deserve respect and decency unless we have proven through our words and actions we don't deserve it. Boxing is not against the rules. If the zones are too congested, such as ocean of tears, maybe your time would be better spend asking them to reduce the number of players required to spawn pickzones, instead of harassing honest citizens of Norrath. So perhaps you guys can lighten up a little and stop acting so childish and immature. You will never find happiness if your happiness depends upon how other men choose to utilize their time for their own enjoyment in a two decade old video game. Seriously. I can't even relate to this state of mind.
  2. Alandros Elder

What's irrational is your statements. You do realize boxing in Agnarr is against the rules right? From the FAQ.

You are cheating, people don't like cheaters. Please stop cheating. I say this is a boxer myself, I just follow the rules because I'm not a jerk and I don't box on Agnarr.
  3. Throndor Augur

Its mostly just bad players that feel entitled to you carrying them to max level, so when you box, they get that you dont have to deal with them afking through your exp grind.
    sifonin, Massimo_Bertoxx and Johnwick like this.
  4. Reht The Dude abides...

Boxing is allowed on Agnarr... as long as you use multiple computers, saying it's not allowed period is just patently wrong.
    Massimo_Bertoxx, nirriri and Johnwick like this.
  5. AgentofChange Augur

I am prepared, I am ready. EQ forums don't let me down, this thread has the potential to be incredible.
    sifonin, Glansberg, Stefka and 10 others like this.
  6. Throndor Augur

I like the "instead of harassing honest citizens of norrath" rhetoric. honest multi-headed hydras of norrath :)
    sifonin and Johnwick like this.
  7. Johnwick Augur

Alandros,

Boxing is not against the rules on Agnarr.
    Aslong are you are playing from separate machines for all of the instances of EQ you are running.

Botting is against the rules on all servers.
  8. Risiko Augur

Throndor, Scornn, Reht and 1 other person like this.
  9. Scornn Elder

Truebox Server boxing is not illegal if you use more than 1 computer.

Agnarr players:[IMG]
    nagash101 likes this.
  10. Throndor Augur

SOH CAH TOA
    sifonin and Scornn like this.
  11. Cainen Augur

As others have said boxing is 100% allowed on Agnarr, it just requires multiple pcs. I have 2 laptops, a desktop and 4 micro media center pcs that all run eq. Throw in numberpads to control everything and you have 100% legit boxing. KVM switches when you need a full blown keyboard and to chat with GMs when you get petitioned and you're set, costs less then $500 to set up.

I think part of the problem is a very minor portion of "boxers" are who take camps, KS, train, etc and everyone just assumes all boxes are like that. I play odd hours and have a weird schedule so i like have my own group "on demand" if need be allows me to do more then if i had to go LFG all the time. Is it as good as having real people, generally not, and i'll always camp a box out if a guildie wants a spot. Otherwise I just find a corner of whatever zone i'm in and hope the hate tells and trains dont happen.

The whole Boxers vs Non-Boxers argument is dumb, as long as people are not interfering with or intentionally ruining your play experience(training, KSing, etc) everyone should be allowed to play the game how they want as long as its within the rules.
    Ilshade likes this.
  12. Pack Journeyman

Risko, your on point!
  13. Nuttmeg Augur

I'll give you a clue, OP. The single box playerase wants one server where we can play together, 1 character per real person. You get that? I made it as simple as possible.

Now to expand a little, there are truly situations where a roommate, spouse, or child wants to play together. DBG has to allow more than one connection per home to accomodate these players... that being said, they are almost forced to allow true box because we can't trust boxing cheats who will plausibly lie, "uh, ya, let my dad talk to you, I am only 5"...
    Get it?
  14. Throndor Augur

I'm pretty sure that there is a large constituency of the playerbase that would be willing to say, "dont care" to the hypothetical brother, wife, family that plays together thing, just to get a no-exemption result with how frequently that is used as an excuse to bypass things on P99.
  15. Nuttmeg Augur

I'm in. I'd play on a no exemption server with perma-bans for people found controlling 2 characters at once.
  16. BearmanSW Elder

It's a prejudice that has lingered since the mass boxers on RF/LJ began making EQ not-great. All boxers now, especially on Agnarr, are given the immediate presumption of guilt; that they have, are currently, or soon will KS something of yours. It's something you're better off just accepting as part of the game because it probably won't change.

The underlying reason is that people don't like it when you have a 5x advantage at playing the same game as them just because you're either willing to drop $75/mo or you play enough to farm kronos and keep your team afloat.

In my own personal anecdote, I've run across exactly 3 full or nearly full boxed groups on Agnarr, and they've all proceeded to negatively affect my gameplay, usually by steamrolling thru where I was fighting. To me, boxed groups are like the smelly kid at school...I just stay away.
  17. Johnwick Augur

No one is telling you to group with the boxer.
    If you notice someone in a group boxing, get off your happy @ss and go to a different camp if it is that big of a deal. ( He is enjoying the game the way he wants too )
    If a group in KS's your mobs, O Wait that's not against the rules.
    DPS RACE!

DPS RACE!

DPS RACE!

DPS RACE!

DPS RACE!
  18. Yruc Augur

The boxing debate is old and not new. Personally I could care less as long as not interrupting my play time.

There are 2 diametrically opposed sides, you have the Boxing Saved EQ groups and Boxing is destroying EQ groups.

I think Agnarr appealed to the Boxing destroyed EQ group where it used to be boxing was extremely rare and people actually grouped with people in a social game, so when they see people boxing it get the juices a flowing...
  19. Nuttmeg Augur

...which perfectly describes the boxer mentality which causes many single box players to dislike them all.
  20. Amoeba Augur

Full group boxers tend to get a lot of heat.

Few people mind 2 characters, but the idea that someone has a self contained group and thus no longer involves themselves with the community bothers a lot of people. Affording to run 5 laptops and your PC and handling them all at the same time does not violate the rules, but it circumvents the spirit of the 'truebox server' idea where the hope is few people would engage in full group boxing and play with others.

You've actively chose to engage in behavior that is wildly unpopular. You shouldn't be astonished you'd get blow back.

All I can offer you is to continue on. Enjoy yourself and make use of /ignore. So long as you don't go KSing, camp stealing, and other bad behavior, I don't mind boxers around at all. Krono destroyed the market, no amount of 6 laptop boxers is going to make any difference now anyway.
    nirriri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.