Adding more lines to social?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fyrerock, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Fyrerock Augur

Any reason why we can not get more lines added to the in game macro, we had 5 lines for a very long time, almost everything else has been increased by now? Button smashing has increased for many classes, it would make things easier if we were not limited by just 5 lines of command.
    Sinestra and RekMMO like this.
  2. Tarrin Augur

tbh, i need more pages of social..not so much the lines..even though I wouldnt mind those too.
    Sinestra likes this.
  3. Fyrerock Augur

In the action bar, the last page is called the social page, where you can make your own macro's, like the assist key that all of us use. I would like more then five lines of command.
    Sinestra likes this.
  4. Numiko Augur

I would love to see this too, though i'm sort of a special case that I 4 box and use them to cast spells with my box set. 5 spells is usualy enough for most trash mobs, but on named I have to tab back to my alts and cast more spells manually.

Either add more lines or add a form of melody for casters so we can do like bards and repeat cast a set of spells over and over.
    Sinestra likes this.
  5. CyrennFV New Member

I'd soooo like to have more lines on these.
    Sinestra likes this.
  6. Redex Journeyman

I think adding 2 more lines would be great. Many more and you could get into a situation where your toon is caught up in the casting script and unable to respond to emergencies
  7. Sinestra Augur

The only thing that could happen as far as I've seen is that you might have to duck in the middle of a cast and cast a different spell instead. The only thing the macros seem to block are other macros.
  8. Redex Journeyman

Good point Sinestra, though I think with commands like /pause 100 you can't duck out of and your character is sort of locked until that 10 seconds is up. I'm not in game to test this, maybe not.

There is another option, bind the stopaction key under options, I believe this will work, but haven't tested that yet either.
  9. shiftie Augur

Not playing your toon for 18 or more seconds from 1 push of a button to the end of a macro is more than enough. You are moving towards automation at that point and slightly before it to begin with.

I think the number of social lines is enough.
    Tarvas likes this.
  10. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I agree with Shiftie. This game is boxer friendly enough as it is for casters classes. I use the marcos extensively when I box my shaman and necro. I solved the problem by making multiple marcos for each spell set and situation that I am likely to encounter during the course of named engagement.
  11. Shillingworth Augur

Honestly, I'd rather it be changed into a text box instead of adding individual lines. EQ's built-in macro language is limited enough to prevent any serious automation regardless of how long a macro is. All having 5 individual lines does is prevent the player from shooting themselves in the foot with ridiculous poorly thought-out macros.
  12. Redex Journeyman

Speaking of EQ macro, two commands that I didn't know about that are great:

/timer

/xtarget
  13. Riffen New Member

/timer ? What does that macro command do? Could not find it on the usual command list sites.
  14. shiftie Augur

I believe that brings up the alert window to set a timer for your play session.
  15. Redex Journeyman

its a very cool command, that I only found out about recently. Its not in the in game help system yet.

If you make a social/macro the /timer command will give your hotbutton the cooldown graphic according to the time you put in.

Example: if Bash is your 4th ability key

/timer 45
    /doability 4
    /disc Renounce

This will create a new hotkey for you that when you press it, you will bash and use your Renounce disc. The cool thing is /timer, will let you know when the key is ready to be pressed again, via the cooldown graphic overlay.

PS. you can also change the color of your cooldown graphic via alt+w, options, colors, then click on "cooldown overlay"
    Kyreth likes this.
  16. Redex Journeyman

I think that's the Alarm functions Shiftie. EQ button>Action>Alarm
  17. shiftie Augur

interesting, but is it really worth the wasted social line to see the overlay? Those types of keys are just easier to spam. It would be really useful on a disc like /bandolier 1her/shield, /disc deflection though.. Is the timer in seconds or does it work like pause?

also thanks for the correction on the alarm feature. Learn something new everyday.
  18. Redex Journeyman

The cool thing about /timer is its a rare exception and can be added along with /pause and 1 command on the same social line.

You can see that via the following test:

/timer 45,/pause 45,/say Hello
    /say Done

Hope that helps, I've found /timer to be a nice addition
  19. shiftie Augur

/pause 45 is 4.5 seconds so setting the timer on a 20 min disc ... you get what I'm saying.
  20. Redex Journeyman

I see, maybe something like this ?

/hotbutton Deflect /timer 24000,/disc Deflection Discipline
  21. Mendel Journeyman

The 5 line limit was constrictive, especially when role-playing. I had many macros similar to the following:
    /language 3
    /say Zek sends me to administer your death, %t!
    /language 1
    /g Aid me in fighting this %T!
    /em flourishes his weapons and attacks
    The language command doesn't coexist well with the ; command, at least in my experience. And let's not forget the clumsiness of the language numbers, especially when you learn a new language and all your macros need to be manually updated.

All this is a bit moot, though, as some expansion destroyed all my macros. It has been too daunting to even try to rebuild the 80+ macros on some of my characters.

Given the option, I'd vote for more pages over more lines, though.