Account Lock Feature

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zoycite, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Khat_Nip Meow

You can't just effect an SQL injection wherever and whenever the mood strikes you, you have to be vulnerable to it in the first place.
    If proper measures are taken to begin with then that avenue of attack is worthless.
    Iila likes this.
  2. Iila Augur

3. Uxtalzon Augur

So reduce customer support, sell more security.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go learn how to breathe and eat again because I was just freaking born yesterday.
    fantasticfail, Yinla and Iila like this.
  4. Ragbert Elder

Um, some simple cases besides "hacking daybreak" are

- Simply have scripts guessing names and passwords to log in the forums here or in the game.
    - Browser "toolbars" that log any form submissions and send them to perpetrators. Log in here and you have also sent them your credentials.
    - Trojans and other viruses that work as keyloggers.
    - Set up camgnomes.com or similar EQ related site and let people make accounts there. Some will stupidly reuse their toon's id and password.

It is not simply about whether you share your password with someone. You can be a victim without doing anything stupid. All that might happen is your account and password got guessed by thousands of automated bots.
  5. Battleaxe Augur

The things you list are not just EQ specific. They can lead to your machine being left a smoking virus laden unusable ruin irrespective of EQ.

June 2001 document they state the policy that
    "(1) Account security -- whether it be password protection, running virus checks, disabling file sharing, or any other element of making sure accounts are not stolen or compromised -- is the sole responsibility of the account owner."

While it would be great if someone would write a computer and account security primer and post it in the forums - MicroSoft, internet service providers, teh interweb - list all the leading no no's. All but one of the things you list is in fact doing something less than optimally intelligent - obvious breeches of computer or account security.

"Simply have scripts guessing names and passwords to log in the forums here or in the game."
    I've heard on this forum that it takes 7 hrs to hit a specific password given the encryption method. Which I'd think would exclude the time needed to try each one, assumes you already have a valid User ID or doesn't include time to brute force one of those, and assumes Daybreak doesn't alert on 100,000+ wrong password try again attempts.

You are more likely to be hit by a car.- 1 in 4292.
    You are far more likely to lose an account or items from a toon from failure to perform normal computer and account security or a mass attack on Daybreak's server than random brute force password guessing.

IF I thought normal computer and account security was inadequate or I was too lazy or not capable of doing those things, I'd spend the $9.99 for an authenticator and everything on your list (and many other things not on it) are no longer a vulnerability. EQ would be secure and I'd even get to play it so long as I performed normal computer security and had a machine I could run it on.