AC Tricks?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Wardepartment, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Ravengloome Augur

You realize that chart is outdated?

Warriors are 50%
    Knights/Monk are 45%
    Bard/cleric are 33%
    etc etc

Everyone got bumped 1 Tier up during SOF (Secrets of Faydwer) So that chart you had up top is quite out of date, Unless I am just as am misremembering?
  2. BoomWalker Augur

Hehe....so right in so many ways. Still, it is always inspiring to have the devs justify not making changes by blaming the "old" and "messy" code base as if it is impossible to make changes over time to that code base to improve it. Perhaps it is because the programmers are not there long enough to learn the code base to help improve its overall structure...or perhaps there are more important things to work on...but in any case...blaming the poor code base is easier than saying the devs just don't want to do 'x' change.

Perhaps some of the folks in the community that are appropriately skilled (C? Surely not C++ just C? SQL/database?) could be contracted for say a maximum of 24 months to solely work on documenting and helping restructure this "old" and "messy" code base with an eye toward long term sustainability with fewer programmers.
  3. Tearsin Rain Augur

no, seriously, that IS the reason why in a lot of instances. it's a completely legitimately claim.

i don't think it's that at all.
    there's certainly been some talented coders over the years that were able to tweak some things here and there, but that's a far cry from what you're suggesting.

true, but blaming the poor code is almost accurate.

that's like saying just get together some folks from the community who know how to change a tire and you could totally convert a 1957 International pickup into a 1978 dodge charger - all you have to do is clean up the "old" and "messy" frame and body!
  4. Kurayami Augur

Expanding on what Khat_Nip said a bit, since we in an expanding kind of mood. Regarding Idol of Talendor and Idol of the Fallen, unless you are really lucky in LoN, and/or were playing during the whole SOE got hacked incident and got a free LoN gift, it is incredibly difficult to acquire either of these. Your best bet is to accrue a mass of SC, try to find an LoN junkie who has one of these, and make a trade with him. Had great luck finding one who hooked me up with brownie illusion, merc skins I liked, and of course Idol of the Fallen.

Unfortunately, the acquiring of all the AC tricks listed here, no Nirvana or other magical lands opened up to me. Alas, it is still just a number....
  5. BoomWalker Augur

No, it is saying get folks from the community that are professional developers and let them help clean up the "old" and "messy" code base in a limited amount of time thus easing the burden of the current SOE employees when working to maintain and improve the game.

Your example is silly...and should be beneath you given your knowledge of the game and its internal workings.

Old code is not impossible to fix in all but the rarest of cases. It simply isn't fun and few folks seem to enjoy the task. Folks seem to think the game is written in C. It shouldn't be a huge burden to find folks that can help clean up the code base...given C's popularity over the years.

There are times where fixing old code is nearly impossible......such as an old COBOL program that has no source code thus it is pure guesswork as to how the calculations are being performed when the company tries to change the program. This is not the same as having to work on "old" and "messy" code where the source still exists. The source does exist still right?

Consider that when JChan was brought on to SOE she was viewed as overqualified with about 7+ years of experience. Luckily (for her, EQ, and all of us) she got hired when a senior programmer left....timing is a great thing! Now, consider a professional developer with say...10+ years in C programmer among other things (databases, web development, etc.) and a keen interest in helping EQ survive and improve. Think there are any in the community that fit that experience? Think they would be wiling to help clean up the "old" and "messy" code base? Hell, some of these folks may have actually been involved in cleaning up other folks code in the past! Shocking!

Surely those poor folks from the community that only know how to change a tire could help clean up this "old" and "messy" code base once they find the lug wrench and jack.

http://stationblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/g-i-r-l-talk-with-jennifer-chan/
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/jennchan