AC Tricks?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Wardepartment, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Wardepartment New Member

I need some help with improving AC on a friends Warrior. Partial T1 RoF Raid gear, and the lowest aug he has is about 32 AC. I am actively working on Augs with him now.

He is about 8600 no buffs, nothing, 8800 with aura and tribute on. Does this seem low? partial raid, and CoTF group gear, about 50/50 split right now.

My question, how can I improve his AC without getting more physical drops?

Are trophies viable, and how do you get one or make them work? potions, aura's, clickables any other help?

Thanks, WD.
  2. Brudal Augur

Power Source (Metal or Xorbb 25AC x 8 slots @ 100 purity)
    Food (128 AC food and 25AC drinks)
    AA's (Armor of Wisdom, Planar Agility for the fake AC bump)

HoT and VoA group progression arcs reward Trophies, others available from LoN packs. Buy a housing plot (house is optional), pay for the upkeep (plat or currency) add the effects to your tribute. Adding the best effects at max level will net in the area of 200AC iirc. Magelo profile would help.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  3. Khat_Nip Meow

To expand on what Brudal said with what I use (gains in displayed AC):
    • Metal Orb powersource 317 (One 30% purity, rest 25%)
    • Merchant's Brew: 39
    • Merchant's Feast: 202
    • Personal tribute: 110 (Bulwark of Honor, Dance of the Hero (hAGI))
    • Personal trophies: 265 (Essence of Talendor, Essence of the Fallen, Trophy of Dreams, Trophy of the landing)
    This amounts to an additional 933 displayed AC gained from means other than gear.
    Daislet likes this.
  4. Tearsin Rain Augur

fake AC is fake - it's not real, and it shouldn't be considered at any time, by anyone.

to the OP: the amount of AC you listed is right about what i'd expect for someone with the gear you listed - maybe a touch on the low side, but not by much.
    however, your central premise is kind of flawed, you say "how can I improve his AC without getting more physical drops?" and the answer is: you can't. potions, clickies, trophies - these all require drops of some kind or another, but for the purposes of this reply i will assume you meant drops as in visible armor or augs.

1. trophies - these work like tribute, they even have the same interface and they draw from your tribute pool. you acquire them as rewards for completing group missions (some from LON/marketplace), and to use it you need to place a trophy in a house or guild hall, then go to the EQ button > real estate management > trophies > and select which ones you want to be active (up to 4).
    you then toggle the benefit on/off in the tribute window.
    1a. tribute - you go to a tribute vendor and select what tribute effects you want active (up to 4) and toggle them on/off in the tribute window.

2. clickies - the following clickies are available in the game that grant AC (items listed on the same line are same slot AC, meaning you can only have one of them):
    A. girdle of thorns, only drops from tunare in plane of growth.
    B. form of defense/prismatic ward - FoD is more AC, but prismatic ward stacks with form of endurance for more HP so that's completely up to you to decide which way you want to go.
    C. the ac/illusion line of spells - this is only available via two sources: illusion wands from the marketplace, or the gunthak swabby eyepatch which is awarded for completing all quests and missions in T1 COTF (and is also the vastly most powerful of the available buffs in this line)

pretty sure that's it for clickies - someone correct me if i'm wrong and left one out?
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  5. Tearsin Rain Augur

displayed AC is meaningless and you know that, stop encouraging people to even look at it =P
    Mithrandyr likes this.
  6. Khat_Nip Meow

=p That's why I made it a point to add emphasis to that word yet still show the end result.
  7. Brudal Augur

Missed two:

Evolving Stone Tear from Pillars of Alra will directly modify your defense skill which will also increase your AC.

Hero's Fortitude ranks from CotF progression also directly adds to AC.
    Quatr and Tearsin Rain like this.
  8. Ravengloome Augur

Don't Forget guild tribute and trophies

Hardened Steel from Illdaera's Vengeance (1 groupableish) 35? i think
    Filth (Saviour in Grelleth?) 45ac
    Forsaken (T1 ROF raid) 60ac
    Theres another one from Saviour in Argath thats 35ac? i think

Guild tribute itself gives like 200ish (Sorry for all the ? marks I am working off a foggy memory)

COTF prog stuff like Brudal said is 50ac < has anyone parsed this to see if it functions like Agility AC or if its real?

8600ac does seem abit low? You should look into Cultural Augs if you can, I am guessing they rot for your guild maybe

My Paladin with max group gear is around 8400ac unbuffed, 325hdex and 300hagi
  9. Tearsin Rain Augur

ah, yes most excellent - good catch there, brudal.
  10. fransisco Augur

While all the ac from raising agi is just for show, I always thought armor of wisdom was very important - that its ac that goes under your soft cap.
  11. Tearsin Rain Augur

not exactly.
    AoW gives you about 50 rAC per rank - which means that how much AC it gives actually varies by class due to the different post-softcap returns.
    for example, SKs get something like 110ac per rank, but enchanters get about 240ac per rank.
  12. Gladare Augur

Hrm? Rangers get like 7 displayed per rank. Obviously displayed doesn't matter, but that's a huge difference between 7, 100, 200.
  13. FarmerJohn New Member

Link to Armor of Wisdom tread on EvilGamer.net

Armor of Wisdom

Post from Nodyin on TheSteelWarrior.org

[IMG] 12-11-2008 #12
    Nodyin
    EQ Designer

[IMG]

Ok hopefully this works. Here are the raw numbers. Each class *should* work out to 50 AC after running through the Softcap division, which varies by class, so the data varies by class:

Warrior
    NAME AFFECTNAME BASE_EFFECT_1
    Armor of Wisdom 1 AC 29
    Armor of Wisdom 2 AC 58
    Armor of Wisdom 3 AC 87
    Armor of Wisdom 4 AC 116
    Armor of Wisdom 5 AC 145

Cleric, Ranger, Monk, Bard
    Armor of Wisdom 1 AC 33
    Armor of Wisdom 2 AC 66
    Armor of Wisdom 3 AC 99
    Armor of Wisdom 4 AC 132
    Armor of Wisdom 5 AC 165

Paladin, Shadow Knight
    Armor of Wisdom 1 AC 31
    Armor of Wisdom 2 AC 62
    Armor of Wisdom 3 AC 93
    Armor of Wisdom 4 AC 124
    Armor of Wisdom 5 AC 155

Druid, Necromancer, Wizard, Enchanter, Mage
    Armor of Wisdom 1 AC 50
    Armor of Wisdom 2 AC 100
    Armor of Wisdom 3 AC 150
    Armor of Wisdom 4 AC 200
    Armor of Wisdom 5 AC 250

Rogue, Shaman, Beastlord, Berserker
    Armor of Wisdom 1 AC 40
    Armor of Wisdom 2 AC 80
    Armor of Wisdom 3 AC 120
    Armor of Wisdom 4 AC 160
    Armor of Wisdom 5 AC 200
    [IMG] [IMG]
  14. Gladare Augur

I'd definitely remember getting 165ac from one aa, but I'll testcopy and check it again.
  15. Mithrandyr Augur

I though it was 10 per rank, 50 for the original set of 5.
    silku likes this.
  16. Sinzz Augur

ill never understand why this has to be so difficult , cant Sony just show the stats as they count and not these false numbers and what not? why does just figuring out how to best gear and max out a stat have to be so difficult for new players I think Sony needs to go back and take a few zeros off everything and make stats more realistic.
  17. fransisco Augur

I'm guessing its a video game thing in general. Players like higher numbers. Devs have said higher stats are meaningless, but everyone insists on AAs to raise them every expac anyways.
    Tons of people work hard to get their AC as high as possible. Imagine how mad people would get if your AC dropped by 60%.
  18. FarmerJohn New Member

The chart show cumulative gains. It is not of displayed AC.

Different classes receive different AC values for Armor of Wisdom due to different soft cap returns as shown below.

Warrior: 45%
    Paladin, Shadow Knight: 33%
    Bard, Cleric, Monk, Ranger: 24%
    Beastlord, Berserker, Rogue, Shaman: 17%
    Druid, Enchanter, Mage, Necromancer: 12%

145 x 0.45 = 65.25AC (displayed)
    155 x 0.33 = 51.15
    165 x 0.24 = 39.6
    200 x 0.17 = 34
    250 x 0.15 = 37.5

The first five ranks of Armor of Wisdom helped the player base determine classes soft cap returns.
    Armor of Wisdom was meant to effect all classes the same. A flat additive boost to migration, not a percentage based change.

When AoW first came out there some in the player based noticed Warriors got more displayed AC. Then, some in the player based notice casters got a larger %boost to their migration.

AoW equally shifts the entire player bases’ migration by 50 rAC.
  19. Tearsin Rain Augur

you are completely correct in that, at some point during the intervening years and from sitting at my desk at work and just firing off posts my brain just up and herpaderped that and decided it was 50 instead of 10.
    my apologies for my brain fart, and i thank you for catching it and pointing it out.
  20. Tearsin Rain Augur

it makes sense if you understand the history of EQ and the context of where these design decisions came from.

back when EQ was being developed and for many years after it was released, it was very much the prevailing cultural attitude within gaming (and within RPG gaming specifically) that number-crunching and min-maxing was BAD and that players knowing exactly how the systems worked (and thus treating the systems like a math problem instead of an organic whole they were just playing through) was BAD.
    this was a very powerful sense of how games 'should be' that had grown out of MUDs (in many ways, the grandfather of EQ) and was a big way of thinking in the mid-late 90's and into the early 2000s.
    it wasn't really until like the TSS expansion that i can really remember that attitude starting to shift and devs being willing to actually communicate how what the code looks like and how it works.

EQ's coding system and display system was built on that idea - that the "armor class" shown in game should be "representative of how armored a character is", so the number that shows up in game includes a TON of things that don't actually function on your AC (as in the stat that reduces how hard you get hit for on average).

like so many things in EQ, i'm willing to bet that the system within the code that counts up your AC and displays it on the character info window is embedded within the structure of the source code itself, and rewriting (or writing a new) formula for displaying your armor class would be a massive and unwieldy undertaking.
    so, unfortunately, that probably won't change any time soon.