About Prestige Items - (once again ...)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Selar, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Selar New Member

Hello,
    I built several boxes in order to play new classes and have some fun with boxing with my main tank.
    As I don't play very much in the week, mostly in weekend, I use a Gold account for my Main, but I found bit too expensive to have a recurent gold account for all the alts.

I enjoyed to play in old zones but I started to find a pity that items in T3+ are prestige , so I can't equip the alts with the won items. Then that don't give a high interest to these zone.

Would it be possible to unlock the looted prestige items through a one shot SC payment or through loyalties coins ? Of course not too high due to the fact they would be scrap when upgraded, but maybe depending on the item stats or the tribute value? It would make more sense to complete the old zone, and not only the T1/T2. And it should not be long development time.
    Unlock cost could be updated at each new expansion.

ie : you loot the item, you show it to an NPC in PoK , who tell you how many currency you need and if you agree then the NPC unlock the item.

was just an idea I wanted to share
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would tend to disagree. I think keeping the prestige items as they are is a good inducement to get people subscribe to All Access. That is the intention of Free to Play after all.. give you a taste of EQ again and get you to subscribe. It isn't intended to be a way to play EQ for extended periods really.

I do respect your right to make the request I just don't see it happening.
  3. Kravitz Augur

If they were smart and wanted to milk the cow even more, they'd sell some container that makes 1 Prestige armor piece non-Prestige, surprised they haven't thought of this yet cause it would force you to keep buying said container every time you got a prestige armor upgrade and make it non-prestige.
    You could charge like 1000 SC for said container and you'd make way more than a subscription would bring in on a yearly revenue stream.

Apply that to augments as well and your looking at people buying 20 + 20 containers if they really want all their armor to be non-Prestige. And they still have to upgrade armor at some point forcing you to buy the containers again if they truly want the item to be non-Prestige.
  4. frankie78227 Augur

The SC prestige un-locker is a great idea. I think 1000sc might be a little much to ask (per shot) but still something well worth trying.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Smarter still they keep the gear prestige and get people to buy subscriptions.
    Perplexed and complexication like this.
  6. Iila Augur

EQ's F2P isn't about extracting $15/mo from every player. Because most potential players are not also potential paying subscribers.

It's about increasing the number of players in game to keep paying subscribers interested and entertained enough to paying. Along with picking up market transactions and making some conversions to full subscribers.

You've seen the uptick in posts about wanting server mergers, or not being able to find groups? Having viable f2p is supposed to help prevent populations from crashing low enough to need those.
  7. Kravitz Augur

That mentality doesn't work in this era of mmorpg's. With over a couple dozen free to play games to choose from. Most people only sub for all-access more often when content or anniversary rolls around or when special events like TLP servers roll around etc, and flake out after a few months. You'd maximize your profit more buy offering a Prestige unlocker container as they'd make more of it then a sub when they come back to play, and if they flake out again the gear is outdated.

If I subbed 3 months out of the year when expansion rolls around cause of new content then quit, you'd make $45 of me.

If I buy 20 prestige containers a year, you'd make close to $100 a year off me, factoring in double SC and each container being 1000 SC.
  8. Nas625 Lorekeeper

I suspect that it requires them making a copy of every prestige item since i do not believe old rusty eq's database could handle custom items
    Perplexed, Beimeith and Iila like this.
  9. Kravitz Augur

That's a simple copy/paste in the database. They tagged items prestige before HoT which was the heavy lifting part.

They can filter by Prestige items make copies and apply new item ids and remove the prestige tag.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not worried about it Daybreak will make up their own mind as to which way is more profitable for them.
  11. EQGenericName theychangedmyname

what would be nice is if the little augs with Ac on them from older content even t1 had prestige removed .. like Dungores AC aug .. little things would make it more worth while .. even the mage summoned augs are better but limited and non prestige
  12. frankie78227 Augur

To allow for augments they could just make all characters eligible for the Heroic augs quest rewards.
  13. mackal Augur

I play on test servers because I think the idea of prestige items are BS.
  14. DrAxe Journeyman

I think the easy and best way would be to simply tag items prestige by level. Say all items below level 85 be useable to all, but items with req levels 86+ be tagged Prestige. This would allow FTP players alot more freedom in the lower levels, yet basically push them towards subbing, without actually level capping them.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Then you would get people playing the under 85 game forever for free with no reason to sub.
    complexication likes this.
  16. Matari Augur

There is little to no reason to subscribe below 91. Unlocking some low level prestige item isn't going to make it worse
  17. Motherlee Augur

What would happen if you made an an attunable item non-prestige and then unattuned it? Prob. crash the server.
    sifonin likes this.
  18. Goth Augur

My though is simple.

If you have T1 gear in the current expansion non-prestige then any gear below that should be non-prestige.

Only reason i think people might argue this is that the bazaar sell value of old and current T1 (non-prestige) gear will go down.

If you can wear a certain level of gear as FTP than it makes sense that all gear lower than that should be marked FTP.
  19. DrAxe Journeyman

They already are, and yes they would have a great reason to sub, if they actually ever want to play with the rest of the playerbase. As it is now they can play to max level, but are hindered by AA's cap, and gear, which pretty much make them ungroupable, as mercs are 10 times better.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actualy I run a casual guild and still lost of people palying at the lower levels. And you sub for a month use autogrant and voila aa. No.... dont see any need for changes to free to plat at all. Peeps just want to run a ton of free to play boxes without any penalties.
    complexication likes this.