a word on the 20th year of EQ and its continued existence

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Westtell, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Westtell Journeyman

let me start by saying congrats EverQuest on 20 years. on that note lets go to the topic of the endless stream of progression servers that DBG keeps seeming to release for no other reason than to grab money. I know That DBG hasn't Been the best Company I try not to hold that against them I'm sure they are decent people forced into corporate greed. But do we really need Yet another progression server when the current one Coirnav seems to be doing quite well population wise What Daybreak could do is a strict implementation of the Truebox system and limiting IP addresses to 3 Connected accounts per IP that way we would end the cancer that is Multiboxing mages and Shore up the community start actively and aggressively looking for multi-boxers, RMT, and people that box more then 3 characters to force players into grouping. And not release yet more progression servers so that the plague that is the EQ community has turned into doesn't just Devour a Server like Vermin and move to a new one and repeat the same vicious cycle again.
    Kattnez likes this.
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

How is this your post AFTER editing it?
    Sabi, ForumBoss, Jhenna_BB and 3 others like this.
  3. Aegir Augur

4. snailish Augur

Not the thread I was expecting.

Thanks Daybreak for taking the anniversary seriously, and keeping the game going. Particular thanks to the devs past and present. EQ is a special warty beast and obviously loved by those of us who still play it.

The announced 20th anny progression concepts could turn out to be brilliant, since done right they sound like they will be special-interest niche server ideas that don't heavily scavenge from existing population. ["hardcore" sounds like it will be racing unlock, with other possible competition tweaks --maybe no AoC, ect. "Ultra casual" if that definition means "only plays a few hours in a given week" probably means fast XP with really long unlocks]. These two ideas fit nicely into what is already up and running since you either love one of these ideas or are much happier where you already are.

Asking for greater or more obvious enforcement of truebox (on servers that have it) and the EULA is a noble thing. Painting boxing/boxers/krono as bad with one sweep is naive. As is decrying a population cycle that they are wise to monetize (while trying to tweak for further retention --and you can't deny that Phinny server has done that better than any prior for sheer numbers into later eras).

Can't see the sunshine if you face the clouds. 20 years is quite the accomplishment. Here's to 20 more.
    skien and Outlander Engine like this.
  5. Westtell Journeyman

as far as i've heard Phinny and angar are dead population wise
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Take your TLP nonsense to the TLP forums...
    Yinla, Aurastrider and Conq like this.
  7. Jontrann Augur

This thread was made by another salty coirnav player.
  8. Conq Augur

Please move this post to the TLP forums where it can be ignored more readily, thx.
    Conq
  9. Kantsyng New Member

Do it. You know you want to.
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  10. slayerofbats Augur

Too many TLP servers will split the already tiny community too much. The only server this game really needs is a legit version of P99 that isn't founded on RMT like p99. It also needs a version with more expansions. But strictly enforced single box is the only way you will make this game work. It was designed to be group centric and if people can box, grouping will be rare. There is no other way around it.
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Yawn. Go away with your demands of everyone play like YOU want to.
    feeltheburn likes this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Make as many TLP servers are you want. :)

P.S. might want to move this to the TLP forums, I don't think it will get the support here the OP was looking for.
  13. Risiko Augur

In that sentence, the proper word to have used was "as" rather than "are".
  14. Ceffener Augur

Magically bring back a population for 450k people and maybe no boxing will be a thing again.

Whoops forgot people still 6 boxed then.
  15. slayerofbats Augur

That's not what my post is about. I box 18 characters. Learn to read properly instead of being so desperate to troll all the time.
  16. Risiko Augur

You do realize that anybody (literally ANYBODY) can put up an EQemu server like p99 right? If you believe that p99 is founded on RMT (and I honestly don't know and don't have an opinion either way), then quite simply, put up your own "legit" server. It's not that hard.
  17. IblisTheMage Augur

A hard core TLP could be with a ruleset like P99 ;-)
    Tucoh likes this.
  18. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Not trolling anyone, just tired of hearing the TLP "The game was designed for grouping" crap. Perhaps I misread your post... or you weren't as crystal clear as you thought you were. /shrug.
  19. snailish Augur

The game was mostly designed for grouping, certainly 60+.

After all, raid content is just a group of groups.

Whether the group is individual persons or one person controlling multiple is neither here nor there from a design perspective.

I'll take a considerate, social multiboxer over a disruptive selfish single account player as part of my server community any day.
  20. Aurastrider Augur

I have never been much of a sky is falling on EQ type of person but the TLP server request threads have invaded. Everyone run the sky is falling. Seriously though move this before more pop up and this becomes the norm.