81 Level wizard confused on spells

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Eindyina2, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Eindyina2 Journeyman

I just hit 81 yesterday and I am bewildered by the mass amount of spells out there for 81 +. I don't want waste plat on spells that aren't really useful. And since I am working on leveling exclusively I'd like to just buy what I really need. I primarily group with guildmates or try to solo with my cleric merc. I bought a lot of 80 spells when I hit 80 and some of them don't seem to do much damage at all.

Does anyone have recommendations on must have/tried true spells for Level 80 wizards and higher?
    I apologize if this has been asked, I used the search function but didn't find much.

Thanks!
    Eindy
  2. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea wizards have a lot of useless spells the big nukes are ice and fire which would be 84/85/89/90 ect seems like we get a big magic nuke not sure what level that started at been long time since ive played my wizard. We get instant nukes which i used alot when they were new but got to the point i didnt even get them anymore. Just alot of way to play a wizard can even get aoe spells although i never did that path just gotta find out what works best for you.

Andarriel
    Eindyina2 likes this.
  3. Szilent Augur

for 81-85, to cover core wizarding, buy:
    81 Wildmagic Blast
    82 Cloudburst Levin
    82 Serene Harvest
    84 Malediction of Havoc
    84 Ethereal Iceblight
    85 Ethereal Combustion
    85 Twincast (no upgrades going forward)

86-90, take upgrades to those and add
    86 Corona Beam

91-95, upgrades to all those
    (final tier for Havoc line. the excellent Claw spells take over.)

96-100, buy upgrades to the above and:
    96 Claw of the Ashwing (to start Clawing ASAP)
    98 Claw of the Flamewing
    99 Bucolic Gambit
    100 Ethereal Weave

at 103 add Shocking Vortex

Some, not all but some, other spell lines have varyingly niche use cases. Like 82 (and upgrades) Mindfreeze when playing with a mag/nec/bst pet tank, or like 84 (and upgrades) Chaos Combustion when extreme efficiency is the thing, to fish for Gift of Mana to cast bigger spells. There are nuke lines that include stun, and sometimes you want not-best nukes just so's you can stay all fire or all ice. Niche stuff. The above list is the Good Spells, representing a core line up of what to be casting when weird externalities don't guide you to weird choices.
    Eindyina2 likes this.
  4. Eindyina2 Journeyman

Thank you! This is what I needed! I appreciate the help!
    Eindy
  5. Cragzop Cranky Wizard