Wizard Heroic Character Guide

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Beimeith, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Beimeith Lord of the Game

So you made a Wizard Heroic Character and don't know how to handle the phenomenal cosmic power? Don't worry, you aren't the first, and you won't be the last. Lucky for you it's 2:45 in the morning and I can't sleep, so I'm here to help!

Spells:

Wizards have tons of spells but many of them are not very useful. That is to say many spells are extremely situational and in many cases don't even excel at their supposed niche.

The 12 spells you should care about are:

Level 85:

Telejara: 8 second stun on enemies up to level 85.
    Twincast: 18 seconds every damage spell you cast will hit twice. Recast 6 minutes.
    Ethereal Combustion: Biggest Fire nuke.

Level 84:

Ethereal Iceblight: Biggest Ice nuke.
    Flashblaze: Fire Instant (Can be cast while running, great for kiting).
    Chaos Combustion: Fast Fire nuke

Level 83:

Nethermist Guard: Rune that procs AE snare when you are attacked

Level 82:

Cloudburst Levin: Magic Instant
    Serene Harvest: Restores Mana

Level 81:

Wildmagic Blast: Fast, efficient nuke.
    Shield of the Void: Self HP buff, (does not stack with Shaman HP buff).

Level 70:

Ice Block: Ice-based root spell.

Level 57:

Evacuate: Group evacuation spell

For most damage: Cloudburst Levin + Ethereal Combustion + Ethereal Iceblight

For sustained damage: Wildmagic Blast + Chaos Combustion + Cloudburst when Gift of Mana procs.

When something is almost dead to get the killshot: Cloudburst Levin

AAs:

Class:

Focus of Arcanum: Buff that reduces the chance for you to be resisted. (Used for burn).
    Atol's Shackles: AE Snare
    Exodus: Instant group Evacuate
    Force of Will: (Used between spell casts). Now costs mana.
    Spire of Arcanum: Buff that increases critical damage for 90 seconds. (Used for Burn).
    Fury of the Gods: Adds damage to all fire/ice/magic spells. (Used for burn).
    Group Perfected Invisibility: Infinite duration group Invis.
    Harvest of Druzzil: Restores Mana. (Used as soon as you will restore the full amount, "saving it" is bad).
    Improved Familiar: Decreases chance to be resisted, increases critical damage.
    Mind Crash: Reduces aggro on target.
    Netherstep: Instant shadowstep forward. (Used for kiting / outrunning aggro).
    Nexus Gate: Instant port to the Nexus. (Used for getting out of dodge when Exodus is down).
    Frenzied Devastation: Increases Critical Hit chance and mana cost. (Used for Burn).
    Secondary Recall: Gate to Second Bind Point. (You have to set it via Stone of Marking first).
    Teleport Bind: Group port to your primary bind point.

Archetype:

Forceful Rejuvenation: Refreshes all spells except Twincast. (Used to refresh Serene Harvest for double mana).
    Gate: AA version of Gate.
    Perfected Levitation Rank 2: Group Levitate.
    Silent Casting: Buff that reduces aggro by a huge margin for 60ish seconds. (Used for Burn)

When burning: Silent Casting + Frenzied Devastation + Fury of the Gods + Focus Arcanum + Spire of Arcanum + Twincast (Spell) + Most Damage Spells listed above.

AAs to buy IMMEDIATELY before leveling:

Archetype:

Spell Casting Subtley: Passive aggro reduction. You are pretty much useless without it unless you are kiting. Wasn't included in autogrant because some people are whiners.
    Spell Casting Mastery 4: Passive 5% mana reduction.

Class:

Quick Damage: Passive cast time reduction. (Best DPS AA you can get at level 85).
    Abscond: Fast casting self Evac. (You will use this a lot, trust me).
    Magneress, Leex, Evercluck and 12 others like this.
  2. Vanlaven Elder

This is awesome! Just what I was looking for. Thank you : )
  3. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Gosh, Wizards are easy!
    Mykaylla, moogs and Yinla like this.
  4. Vizier Augur

Great list. I ended up figuring out most of this on my own, but this list helps a ton. Thanks.
  5. Mintalie Augur

Wow. This might convince me to go wizard. Thanks!
  6. Ayoheee Augur

Don't even bother memorizing the fire instant.

A good efficient cycle if you're low on mana is cast whatever wildmagic you have at 85 plus whatever wildmagic you have at 80 the memorize the level 80 ethereal fire spell and cast either the 85 or 80 ethereal on GoM procs based on what level the GoM proc is. You'll use less mana than you get from harvest refreshes.
  7. Naugrin Augur

I disagree, fire instant can be very useful. Extremely good for kiting as well.
  8. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Yeah, I forgot to mention what the fire instant was for, which is as you said, kiting.
  9. Obiziana Augur

Very nice write up, thank you Beimeith!
  10. GeezerGamer Journeyman

Isn't there an aggro reducing line of spells? I see Mind Freeze coming up at level 86, and I think there are lower level versions, as well, Since you didn't mention these spells, I take it that they are mostly worthless? As a silver account, my AAs will never go up, and my Heroic Wizard has no spell subtlety. So far, aggro hasn't been much of an issue, but I am not even remotely reaching my full DPS potential.

Thanks
  11. Funbags3 New Member

Omg... This is awesome. Was pretty close to this myself... TYVM :)
  12. Vizier Augur

What is a good solo spot at 85?
  13. Mizoto Lorekeeper

OMG I am such an idiot. That is awesome!
  14. Domin New Member

15. Vlerg Augur

There's few good solo spot in the HoT expansions. Normally I would recommend the grounds ( there's a nice spot near the lake with few bees). but it tend to be quite packed these day...

Feerott is doable, altho I don't like the amount of tree and roamers ( i'd recommend the undead frog in the NE corner if you choose to kite in feerott).

Al'kabor nightmare is likely your best bet ( feerott-lower floor- upper floor- al'kabor nightmare). Animals don't summon, you can stay on the first island and kite them.

If those spot in HoT don't work for you, and you cannot get a group. you will either want to go to lower level kiting zones ( toskirrak, korascian warrens) or move to VoA ( argath or northern valley). Note that you will not kill quickly in valley at 85.. it's doable, will likely take all your mana, but you will recieve large chunks of XP per kill ( anyone remember the command to turn grass graphic off in valley?)

as you reach the high 80s - low 90s, Valley, beast domain sarith side or city of bronze will become your best friend.

The orc camp in EW, evantil and the epicenter will sustain you to lvl 100.
  16. greydeeds Augur

Make a hc necromancer stop playing with wizzies
  17. greydeeds Augur

No wizzie can do solo what a Necromancer can do
  18. Nylrem Augur

Greydeeds, are you taking medication? If not, I think maybe you should start.

On several posts, you seem to whine about necro weaknesses (I think, many are not very comprehensible), and on others you appear to say you're the most OP'd class in the game...

Please do attempt to write complete, semi-comprehensive sentences though, from now on.

Or stop posting altogether. Either one would be acceptable.
    Mary Poppins, Axxius, Vizier and 4 others like this.
  19. Ayoheee Augur

So....spell casting subtlety. Pretty crucial. Can't be understated how much you need this before doing anything else. Grinding out those first 3-6 ranks can be really, really painful.

Use your aggro reduction capabilities, load concussion and mind freeze, etc. Never had an 85 wizard with no spell casting subtlety before, what an eye opener playing a heroic wiz is.
  20. Beimeith Lord of the Game

People don't realize how much aggro spells generate, or how few/poor the tools we have to manage it are.
    CrazyLarth likes this.