Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ddezul, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Kahna Augur

I have addressed this many times. It just does. Small scale boxers can't compete when everyone else on the server is boxing a full group. No one wants to be the small fish in a big pond so they either add more boxes or they quit. It is just what happens.

Why would a small scale boxer stay on a server where they struggle to find other people to group with. Why would they stay a small scale boxer when they still can't get anything done difficult done with a duo and adding more boxes is just so easy.
    Where is the incentive for them to stay small? There isn't any.
    Doze likes this.
  2. Jakuk Lorekeeper

My question would be, What is the major incentive for people to box in the first place when we are talking about "competing"?

I have to assume it's making Krono or platinum.
  3. Intercept Augur

The issue isn't people boxing 2-6 toons, the issue is single people boxing 30+ toons.

If nothing is done about it then this game will suffer dearly
    OldTimeEQ1, Fideles and Doze like this.
  4. GRACUS Lorekeeper

This has been the issue since day 1 of Truebox and still nothing has been done about it. Yet here we are complaining how it will ruin EQ and still we keep playing it. DBG Won't do anything unless a significant amount of us addicts just up and quit.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  5. Kahna Augur

To get gear
    To get exp
    To finish quests
    To play the game that requires a group to advance in any meaningful way.

When you box you don't need to wait on others to do these things. When it is easier to do it on your own than to wait for and gather others why wouldn't you box?
  6. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

That is what the anti-boxer crowd is convinced of...Boxer are out to exploit, boxers are simply krono farmers.

And for some boxers it is probably true.

I doubt it is the majority nor is it about avoiding groups.

Many boxers box because playing ONE single character is BORING.

When I box I play two characters...not 3, not 6 and certainly not 20+.

If my group fills and another player becomes available I will drop one of my character to allow the player into the group and even allow the group to decide which is more important to the group.

Not sure when it happened as I was away for a decade.(and leaving again in June) but the anti-boxer crowd has become a bunch of KARENS.
    MileyVyrus likes this.
  7. Tachyon Augur

make friends, why i love everquest
  8. Atomos Augur

lmao, I think you're just speaking for yourself or something. I don't think a boxer actually cares that their 3 box isn't as strong as someone's 6 box. They play anyway and just substitute with mercs, or guildies if any are available and willing. Honestly most players are completely oblivious to what everyone else is doing anyway, or rightfully just don't care.

I mean the open world competition not only goes away after Velious but is completely pointless anyway due to picks and DZs. I'm sorry but what exactly do you think people are competing for? This ain't P99.

Also... I would love to know what you think is so difficult that it can't be smallman boxed.
  9. Atomos Augur

People having been doing this eons and the game is still here, what's your excuse for that?

How does someone boxing that amount of characters affect you anyway?
  10. Kahna Augur

I dunno, but people must be finding it out there because they like to keep adding boxes to their crew until they never have to associate with other players in the game at all. It's like the MM in MMO is the annoying part and people want nothing to do with it. Ruins the game for me, maybe you love it and if so I am sorry you have to either buy a ton of computers or wait until OOW. Sucks to be you.

They are never going to get rid of Truebox as the standard so I get what I want each year anyway.
  11. Kahna Augur

And that is why I love truebox servers. It is much easier to make friends when you all need each other to advance.
    Tachyon likes this.
  12. Sheila Elder

I don't think anyone underestimates the value that has been added by Truebox and it's easy to see that it's been incredibly popular. I do think some of us are sick of seeing it being the only ruleset offered year after year outside of Rizlona and are hankering to get a server that has that particular ruleset not included.

I also still feel it would have been an easy win all around and would have been a perfect year for them to have done another Aradune/Rizlona move to help offset the queue that's going to be part of Teek, likely for a few months. It'd also provide a better atmosphere for Teek for those that share your feelings and thoughts on boxing.

We'll see how this shapes up. Not usually a big forum poster but was hoping that there'd be enough to compell them to make an actual change for the rulesets so that a bigger portion of the players would get what they wanted. Looks less and less likely that that'll be the case. Even if they don't remove truebox for Tormax, I'll be sad to see them move forward with it's current ruleset since I don't see it offering a compelling reason for many to play. And a loss is still a loss for a game that I so thoroughly enjoy even if I am not going to play a part in this years TLP.
  13. Weathervane New Member

You keep throwing up these nonsensical strawmen to justify your holier-than-thou attitude. In your mind, anyone who doesn't have literally hours to find a group with the same objective, get to the group, and hope the group doesn't fall apart before they have made meaningful progress shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the game. Some people don't have time to sit around and wait for the mail, or they work off hours and miss peak. Some people have a tight-knit group of friends on discord or in real life and don't play EQ to meet strangers. Not everyone enjoys the game the same way you do.

You, out of nowhere, claim that people who 3-6 box will somehow find the money and desire to box 30 characters on a premium only server. You're so out of touch and are fighting to justify treating others poorly over how they enjoy the game. Please stop.
  14. Kahna Augur

Uh, no? I don't care if people box, I don't care if they have a boxing server, I have only ever said that Truebox should be the standard, and that I dislike what unrestricted boxing does to a server community.

I have, or have lived through, all of the things you listed above in my life and I can still find time to group with others.

I never claimed that 6 boxers would start 30 boxing. I said small group players will slowly add more until they have enough that they can accomplish what they want to do without needing others. That could be 4 it could be 6, it could be 30. It is the not needing others that makes the game unenjoyable for many, including me. Doesn't really matter how many they are boxing to get to that point.

I am not really sure how stating my opinion is "treating others poorly". I have gotten a number of insults from Pro-boxers because I like and support truebox.
  15. AzzlannOG Elder

I am a boxer and I also believe truebox is good for the server in the early days. I think relaxing it when they do is about the right time to do it. Although every server is different. Teek they could actually probably wait longer to relax it, as the population is likely to be high.
    Yinla likes this.
  16. Weathervane New Member

You're totally not throwing up strawmen when you say things like that.

You're also totally "stating your opinion" opinion when you claim to speak for others.

You repeatedly insist that the game must be social/cooperative. You are here repeatedly insisting that boxers ruin things by not being forced to find a group to enjoy the game. You clearly don't value anyone's opinion but your own.
  17. Xazier Augur

Sorry to ruin it for you, but the game was not designed with the intent for people to box.

And Truebox in general only hurts the casual 2-6 boxer. Which now at this point 90% of those casual boxers have found ways (exploits) around the truebox detection, so the wheels have fallen off the bus on TLPs
  18. Kahna Augur

I wasn't throwing up a strawmen, I was discussing what I had observed happening on unrestricted boxing servers. I have played on the unrestricted boxing servers. I was literally answering a question that was directly asked of me in that comment.

I spoke for others. OMG. The horror! Considering truebox servers have, in the past, had larger populations than unrestricted boxing servers I don't think saying that many people like truebox is some massive stretch. I didn't say everyone, which would have been false.

I have repeatedly said it ruins things FOR ME. FOR ME, yes, it must be social and cooperative to be fun, I am far from the only person who feels that way. I have never implied everyone feels this way. Everyone on this forum is stating their opinion. Basically none of them preface their comments with "In my opinion". Would it make you feel better if I added a disclaimer at the bottom of my posts that everything contained within the post is my personal opinion?

There isn't a whole lot of valuing of opposing opinions going on in these forums from anyone. I am curious, are there any truebox supporting individuals who's opinion you value? What is it about my opinion that you disagree with. Keeping in mind that my opinion is. "Truebox should remain the standard, and they shouldn't release an unrestricted boxing server without a corresponding Truebox server."
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This!

At least the first few months of a TLPs life should be Truebox, just to help it cut back on queues. Having it relax to 3 later is nice for those who do want to box a small group.
  20. Atomos Augur

Imagine thinking early TLP won't be the same amount of social it's always been just because Truebox doesn't exist. Goodness gracious.

People who want to box are going to box.

People who want to play with others are going to play with others. Sometimes those are even *gasp* boxers!

Truebox does not matter. And if you spent half the amount of time you spend posting on forums actually PLAYING THE GAME instead, you'd realize this.