Boxing Is The Plague Of EQ

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Efr3, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Zalphos Journeyman

EQ is nice because everyone can set their own goals and progress towards them at their own pace, with or without companions. I've never really been in a situation where skill was relevant. If someone ever made a mistake, they learned from it. So it's hard for me to understand your mentality.
  2. Demetri Augur

Same exists even between different 1-boxers... be it because of class differences that make a wild difference (i.e. NEC soloing vs. WAR soloing anyone?) or gear differences (Full PoTime gear vs. the bazaar 100pp specials) or skill differences.

That "feeling" is inherently wrong and childish at the end of the day - if it bothers you, you are welcome to join the club very easily (barring something quite unlikely) to fix this version of inequity. But the other three? First can never be answered (barring impossible levels of dev adjustment), second takes a huge investment of effort, and third is mostly about practice and repetition. (and in some classes cases, number crunching)

So when my wife and REAL playing friends that have a poor sense of direction /follow me until we arrive at the destination, and they end up as a hydra that's not immersion breaking? It's not just a boxing issue, more common with? Sure - but talk about picking nits of something that ruins the game for you.
    Ileasa and Yinla like this.
  3. Kahna Augur

I dislike boxing, as in, I dislike doing it myself, not that I care about others boxing. I would rather solo than participate in your average EQ pug. I'll get more exp and die less.
    Vlahkmaak and code-zero like this.
  4. Kahna Augur

You must not have spent much time in pugs lately, the quality has dropped significantly in recent years. Most folks who play now have a pre-made or clique that they stick with from one server to the next. Even on a new server within a few weeks the cliques have formed and the pugs are the dregs who can't make friends because they are some how so horribly bad at this super easy game.
  5. Arclyte Augur

6. Zalphos Journeyman

It's natural for someone playing 1 character to feel a sense of unfairness when they see someone controlling 6. It doesn't matter how cheap your laptops are.
  7. KobalWR Lorekeeper

Yes, boxing drives some people away, those wanting more social interactions, immersion and pick up groups in the game.
    Yes, it is some sort of Pay to Win. You invest more money to be able to do more by yourself.

That being said, I don't mind boxing when it's 2 or 3 characters.
    You can farm the nameds you need by yourself even if your main is a rogue, a warrior or a paladin. Sometimes, asking for help doesnt work.
    It allows to get groups started quicker when you're looking for a specific class. Need a healer to get started but can't find one? Let's log a cleric or druid box.
    You can still play when the population is low due to timezone or natural server attrition. That's a big pro for boxing.

In a perfect world, I'd love a no boxing server where we all have one character and have to rely on each other, which is imho the best aspect of multiplayer games especially MMO.
    But in the end, it doesn't really matter if boxing is fair or unfair, because it's clearly good money for DPG and they'll never have the will to make a no boxing server or the means to enforce it.
    Ileasa and Demetri like this.
  8. CdeezNotes Augur

A person who is single, has no kids, has no job, and lives in a basement also can accomplish much more than a dad working 50+ hours a week. It's not fair. Maybe we should limit people to playing 5 hours a week. Make it fair for all.

Why are you trying to prohibit people from enjoying the game the way they want to play it? Because you can't? A person making $250k a year has a nicer car and house than most people. That's not fair. We should limit what cars and houses they can have. You see how ridiculous this argument is?

The game was literally built on unfairness. The entirety of the game's foundation was based on time investment. How much time you can allow yourself to play was usually a good indicator of how progressed you were in the game. Nothing more, nothing less. This game never really required "talent" or high twitch speed skills. It was who could bedpan themselves for the longest periods of time.

Why? Are you also disappointed when you see people floating around on jetpacks, ducks, deformed lizard things, oversized bunnies, etc?

Immersion argument is nothing but a farce. It's a lazy take when you don't have any actual legitimate reason for not liking people who box.
  9. Demetri Augur

Actually it does, unless you're on the edge of being evicted... it's a cheap enough thing to correct the unfairness.

Life is full of unfairness that we have to resolve - adults acknowledge such things and answer them or ignore them - they don't get worked up and let such things bother them. If it truly is something you cannot let go of and ruins the experience for you, I'd suggest looking into therapy solutions that can teach you those skills, they're important in life.
    Ileasa likes this.
  10. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

Wall of Text scowls at you ready to attack...

Wall of Text hits you for 12K hit points....

You have been slain by Wall of Text....

LMAO

FTR...Every Server for EQ on Daybreak allows boxing ALL of them. and they always have.

True box does not mean NO BOXING ALLOWED it means a box has to be played from a separate machine.
    Sikem, code-zero and Ileasa like this.
  11. CdeezNotes Augur

I don't think it's changed. This game is how old? I still see on a daily basis people not understanding the most basic mechanics of this game. Like things that are decades old well-known mechanics. It's mind boggling how many people have their heads in the sand. Half the population is just a bunch of Mr. Magoos running around getting to the end goal not by skill, but sheer dumb luck.
    Ileasa likes this.
  12. Bartholomo Journeyman

These conversations are the best. And you guys answering that fool are also the best. <3
  13. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

Obviously Everquest is just not the game for you....as it has always allowed and had players that box. since the earliest of EQ.

It is not unfair in the least. and everyone is allowed to box.
    Ileasa likes this.
  14. Zalphos Journeyman

If you box you'll have a negative impact on some people that don't. If you don't like my explanation, then maybe you can tell me why it happens.
  15. CdeezNotes Augur

No, I won't. Because I wouldn't even group with half the people complaining anyways. You, and all the others crying about boxing, would never see a group with myself or my friends. My playtime is too limited and valuable to me to risk it on some scrubs who can't perform better than a merc. We drag you sorry excuses of players through raids on a weekly basis. Don't need to do it in groups as well.

The only people it negatively impacts are people with the emotional maturity of a 2nd grader.
    Vlahkmaak, Ileasa and 25thAnniBaby like this.
  16. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

TLDR for the people looking to avoid a text wall..

OP wants to ban boxing so he can group with players that are better then him while he AFK's 90% of the time.
    code-zero and Ileasa like this.
  17. Basak Augur

Good luck to the OP. I have been boxing since the game launched in 1999, not about to stop. If the game does for some odd reason go no-boxing I'll not continue, and I know others will not continue, leading to eventual closure of the game. So the OP is really just wanting the game to be shut down.
    Ileasa likes this.
  18. Trunch New Member

Lets not kid ourselves, there are bad boxers and there are good boxers. I have personally done some sketchy things with "bad" boxers and I have raided with "good" boxers!

And in my experience the good boxers have always outweighed the bad boxers; good boxers help you get gear, help with hard quests, some even go as far as to let you afk xp in groups when real life happens.
    I have so many friends that box and I never did, and believe me when homies shows up with a healer/tanks or they got buffs/rezes, I was appreciative.

But with bad boxers; I've trained people, I've stolen mobs, and snag camp names and just did things I wasn't proud of or knew weren't technically against the rules.
    Eventually those people get caught, people report them enough or they just get a bad rep and no one wants to play with them, and who wants that?

I think player behavior is what it really comes down, and personally don't think boxing is enemy people make it out to be. Yes boxing is advantageous towards more causal/solo crowd, no one is stopping anyone else from playing the game the way they want to, as long as they play within the confides of the game (ToS) and aren't hacking/botting, I personally see nothing wrong with someone playing a video game the way they want to!
    Ileasa, Demetri and Juskov like this.
  19. jeskola pheerie

Sorry you can't get a pickup group so you can afk half the time and spend the other half pressing one key while watching Netflix. Forcing your play style on others isn't the answer.
    Scarredevolution likes this.
  20. wade_watts Augur

DPG is really going to miss this guys potential of 1 Krono a month for probably 2-3 months until he got bored. They should re-orient their entire strategy to capture this $50.
    code-zero and jeskola like this.